|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (AC2)||Mythic Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Mythic Rare|
|Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas (DDH)||Mythic Rare|
|Conflux (CON)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Planeswalker — Bolas
+3: Destroy target noncreature permanent.
-2: Gain control of target creature.
-9: Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker deals 7 damage to target player. That player discards seven cards, then sacrifices seven permanents.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||ironax , Vasbear1 , gildan_bladeborn , Shiromakuro , rockleemyhero , Dredgar , Pelli , TheRealPeaches , johnsongrantr , geazykagar , , cklise , KingOfGrixis , NivStormfront , bradyofportdetroit , perrin515 , warcry02 , CAPT.Shock , Nemesis , Slowgod , theilluminaire , Espi14 , Justinaut , jtaddeo , , Venser_the_Sojoner , Brandamn , Candyman949 , KillDatBUG|
|Want (5)||Ariumlegion , darthnuchi , snackeater , ryuzaki32667 , rakdos24|
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker Discussion
6 days ago
Oops, didn't see that you didn't want Goryo's - reading is hard. In that case, I think the best way to power out an early Narset is Amulet of Vigor with bouncelands - I can't think of anything else that can get her out before turn 4 with any reasonable consistency, and if we're waiting until turn 4 we might as well ramp into a T3 Elvish Piper, which, as you noted, is too slow.
At this point, the strongest things we can be doing are still the Omniscience combo - otherwise we're going off on turn 5 at best, which is already too slow. Eternal Dominion might be OK, Time Stretch might be OK (since Narset is sticky, it gives us more shots at real cards), Army of the Damned puts them on a 1-turn clock. You could drop big planeswalkers - Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver all seem strong. The problem is that, as a combo deck, we have to be threatening to kill our opponent on Turn 4, and we still don't have a way to do that besides the Omniscience combo.
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 week ago
I believe Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker should be in here.
+1 from me. I have a superfriends control Bolas deck if you want to check it out: E. V. I. L..
Don't be scared off by the price tag, a lot of the cards in there except for the lands and some walkers are pretty affordable.
4 weeks ago
1x Gideon Jura
Same as before + 1x Wooded Foothills
4x Arbor Elf
Do you have any tips on the SB composition? Because right now it needs some rework.
1 month ago
1 month ago
im thinking of taking out the Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker,Chandra, Torch of Defiance, and Conflux as they are the only cards that have red symbols and just make Atraxa, Praetors' Voice my commander, however that does take some powerful planeswalkers out of my deck, suggestions or thoughts would be great!
1 month ago
From my Marchesa deck:
Blood Tyrant is great if it can survive. Dark Impostor is really scary if you can exile a few commanders. Drana, Liberator of Malakir is pretty scary. Hellhole Flailer is decent removal. Malakir Cullblade HOLY SHIT that got big fast. Marchesa's Smuggler can come out of nowhere. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is really, really big. Fervor doesn't seem that great, but it can destroy removal-centric control decks. Rhystic Study is SO MUCH DRAAAW. Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is easily the best artifact/enchantment removal in Grixis. Blasphemous Act is awesome when death is impermanent. Killing Wave is in the same boat. Rakdos's Return ANNIHILATES combo players. Use Sudden Demise on the G or W player, or even on your guys. Bident of Thassa is just awesome.
And there's still an entire Meren deck to cover.
Attrition. Champion of Stray Souls is good for those who fall through the cracks or just as a bluff. 'Even if you DO finally kill my guy he'll just come back'. Corpse Traders against combo players. Disciple of Bolas is good draw and it can be a TON. Slum Reaper is good, and wildly asymmetrical. Stronghold Assassin, in your build, is recursive Attrition. Vampiric Rites is really good early game. Westvale Abbey Flip is stupid difficult to remove, starting as a land and then an indestructible creature.
And finally, my favorite one of all: Vindictive Lich. I normally use it as a political piece, letting people pick the fate that seems least bad. Through that, I learn what their unique kryptonite is. I then use that once I am strong enough that I don't need any alliances.