: Add .
, : Gain one mana of any colour in your commander's color identity. If you spend this mana to cast your commander, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of times it's been cast from the command zone this game.
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Kotakiva|
|Want (3)||MegatronSpine , ChocolateGoblin , DerIzzertLegume|
Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Opal Palace Discussion
2 months ago
Hey, I saw your forum topic asking for help.
The manabase and ramp/color fixing could use some tweaking, but more draw is really what your deck needs. That's the area of your deck to consider spending some on for improvements.
- Mentor of the Meek --> Aggressive Mammoth
- Welcoming Vampire --> Mowu, Loyal Companion
- Ripjaw Raptor --> Aetherstorm Roc
- Idol of Oblivion --> Woodland Mystic
- Return of the Wildspeaker --> Leyline of Abundance
- Shamanic Revelation --> Renata, Called to the Hunt
- Harmonize --> Arcus Acolyte
I choose these cards as suggested cuts because you have better cards that do the same or similar effects. More draw especially repeatable draw sources replacing some of this redundancy could help gameplay.
The manabase is overall good except the amount of Forests, which is too many. The ratio of color sources in the manabase is 28 green:16 white:16 red. 28 green is almost double amount of another color which is a little much. Forests are important, you want them as most lands, but I don't think you need 12 of them. Green one drop mana dorks are good, but I don't think only three of them are enough to play so many Forests to hinder the other colors in the chance that you have one in your opening hand with a Forest. Crop Rotation can get any land by sacing a Forest.
Some manabase problems are 12 Forests, the Slow Fetch lands, Aether Hub, Arctic Treeline and Highland Forest. 12 Forest reduces the color fixing from lands too much. Grasslands, Krosan Verge, Mountain Valley are too slow for what they do and are not needed because you have Marsh Flats and Windswept Heath.
Aether Hub is relying too much on three cards that proliferate or Aetherstorm Roc. Consistently Hub won't have enough energy to make colored mana. Arctic Treeline and Highland Forest are nice that they have basic land types, but you don't really need them because you have Shocks and Tangos.
Consider cutting some basic Forests for more budget lands that can make green or another color?
- Crop Rotation --> Aether Hub
- Exotic Orchard --> 1x Forest
- Path of Ancestry --> 1x Forest
- Jungle Shrine --> 1x Forest
- Game Trail --> 1x Forest
- Fortified Village --> 1x Forest
- Battlefield Forge --> Krosan Verge
- Naya Panorama --> Grasslands
- Opal Palace --> Mountain Valley
Making these lands changes can balance the ratio of color sources to 26 G:20 W:20 R. This balance keeps the amount of green close to what you have currently while increasing the amount of white and red. Of course most of these are the least expensive price playable lands that you could add. There's many others that are more price/better lands.
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
Its better to use the Instants that make tokens for free counters than to use the cards that just give counters BUT there are a couple spells that just double your counters. I think Invigorating Surge could be a game winner.
3 months ago
Would stuff like Tyrite Sanctum and Witch's Clinic fit in here? Not sure if you run into theft effects, but Homeward Path might be nice in a deck very dependent on one creature. With a Commander this easy to cast, Opal Palace might even fit.
4 months ago
Hey, good start, nice Atla Dino version.
When you start to make modifications consider adding more low CMC noncreature ramp? Arcane Signet, Fellwar Stone, Farseek. The Farseek suggestion goes with some budget land upgrade suggestions: Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista and Alpine Meadow. These lands have two different basic land types which can be searched for by Farseek. When land ramp can get a dual land instead of basic land(s), that helps color fixing.
Quartzwood Crasher is one of the best Dinos since it can create an army of Dinos with trample by itself because it has trample and it's $2. Of course if you have more creatures who have trample then Quartzwood becomes much better esepcially with Ghalta, Primal Hunger. Garruk's Uprising gives all creatures you control trample and it also can be repeatable draw since each time a Dino ETB or Dino token that's created that's 4 or more power you draw a card. Uprising is just plain good with Dinos because most of them have 4 or more power.
With Mirror Entity more effects to give Atla a +1/+1 counter are helpful and you can get more just from budget lands: Tyrite Sanctum, Opal Palace, Forge of Heroes. Sanctum is best of these three because it can be repeatable and you don't have to cast Atla with it. When Sanctum has made Atla a God it can be saced to make Atla indestructible which is really helpful against the majority of board wipes and targeted removal. High Market is a land sac outlet. Crop Rotation can instant tutor for one of these lands, put it onto the battlefield or sac a basic land to get Command Tower.
Fanatical Devotion is more protection for Atla and it's a sac outlet for Eggs.
Good luck with your deck.
4 months ago
Not sure if I'm missing something, but why do you have 45 lands? That is as many as I run in my Tatyova Lands deck, which wins the game via lands mostly, specifically my Commander offers a payoff for landfall. I see you have a few payoffs for landfall, but it still seems like a lot. Anyways, a few thoughts!
First thought, Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar would probably work well in here, maybe even as a Commander. He often end up quite big, and he comes with Trample and a recursion effect. You can still run Ohran Frostfang and Bow of Nylea for Deathtouch, and you could run Saryth in the 99 still. Just an out there thought to start off with, not trying to be negative.
I think Isochron Scepter probably wants more potential 'hits' (you have 2 afaik, I find having quite a few more, and some tutors for Instants and Artifacts still doesn't set it up very often).
Crucible of Worlds seems odd in here too, for one Ramunap Excavator does similar work and is a more useful type (and your Commander can get the creature Hexproof), and on the other hand your deck runs enough lands that you'll hit drops to turn 6 usually. I'm going to list a few utility lands that might help by giving mana sinks or card draw to help when you get flooded: Bonders' Enclave and War Room might work out, offering a mana sink and card draw to help smooth out bad draws. You could consider Geier Reach Sanitarium and/or Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, but these help everyone. Tyrite Sanctum is a good utility land in more casual play, offering +1 counters or Indestructible. Temple of the False God can blow up in your face a bit with a terrible hand, but it's usually a ramp land if you run this many lands. Inkmoth Nexus might work well with +1 counters, and it dodges wipes usually. Tower of the Magistrate is useful vs Voltron, you can give an opponent's creature protection, dropping all it's equipment IIRC, which can be pretty funny the first time. Homeward Path can be nice in Green, if people steal your better creatures it feels pretty bad. Any of the G lands with Cycling like Slippery Karst or Tranquil Thicket can be nice with a higher land count. Blighted Woodland or Myriad Landscape offer ramp, but are slow or use a lot of mana to do it. I actually like Opal Palace in a deck that can benefit from it in 1v1, and you should have lots of mana on hand to make the tax pretty insignificant. If you can recast your Commander a few times, they end up reasonably beefy.
Time of Need can find Fynn or Toski. Have you thought about more removal, mostly for artifacts and enchantments, but Green has access to some creature removal, so-so stuff like Kamahl’s Will exist at this point, or the reasonably useful Transmogrifying Wand for repeated Destroy. Silklash Spider or even Squallmonger can help deal with Flying decks, which are frustrating. I also run Sandwurm Convergence in my mono G deck, otherwise I consistently lose to faster flying decks like Talrand (a very nasty 1v1 Commander), ymmv though.
4 months ago
5 months ago
I was eyeing this guy too. I have been brainstorming. Contemplating a build around him as well. Some cards that came to mind were these. Also, these are my opinions. There's nothing wrong with your deck if you enjoy it like it is. My comments are just my 2 cents. The reason I havn't really started to put this together yet is because I'm not too much of a fan of EDH decks that 100% rely on the commander being in play to net more than 50% benefit. I think this guy might be that guy that looks better that he plays out, but we'll see. The only card that can really protect this guy 90% of the time is Whispersilk Cloak. And that Cloak is 1% of your deck. Your opponent is going to put soo much pressure on your commander if they can. Which sometimes can be a good thing if you can make the creatures in the deck count as much as the commander or more in the long run.
These first two I think should be auto includes because of Monarch. They also toughness is equal or better than power, so they fit.
These others are just good ideas to ponder IMO:
Silumgar Scavenger, He just gets better when/if your crits die.
Mortuary Mire, recursion that is technically free.
Bojuka Bog, Another black auto include. People play A LOT out of their graveyards.
Bonder's Ornament, this has become my favorite pauper card draw rock. Even if others end up playing it, it will add speed to both decks. Makes for more spells being played per turn for both players, or will just net you advantage if they don't play it. Creates more interaction. Pauper decks can tend to be slow from beginning to end without a card draw engine.
Removal spells. I'd try to fit a few in. You are relying too much on Pestilence. I think i would actually consider running a Crypt Rats along with the Pestilence. You can get the rats back with TORTEX. It can get mean. Keep recycling the rats when you need to.
Ash Barrens, deck thinning.
Lightning-Core Excavator, This guy is soo good with TORTEX. It's a repeatable bolt effect and in this deck technically he's a 3/3 for .
Aquastrand Spider, could be pretty fun in this deck. He can come back with TORTEX and make more graft counters to move around. Gives himself and other creatures reach if need be. He holds equipment well. So you can move both 1/1 counters without him dying. Whilst making other crits bigger. You don't have much for flying in here.
Ulamog's Crusher, to be honest I'd run him. The value is there. He doesn't need to be a 1/8 and cost 5 to play to be good for this deck. He's just pressure mid to late game and comes back with TORTEX. You run some ramp. So he shouldn't be overlooked.
Dimir House Guard, 10% of your deck are 4 costed spells. So he's a repeatable tutor for those other 10% of spells. It goes and gets Pestilence. for a 2/3 with fear and tutor isn't terrible at all.
For now this is all I have time for. We'll chit chat here and there when you reply. Maybe we can work out a good build together and I'll start building this in paper and add it to my stack of PEDH decks. =]
Have a good one!!
7 months ago
I actually thought of a few more cuts that I don't think require any reimagining of what the deck could/should be doing. No major shakeup or anything.
- Nim Deathmantle You know I don't like this card, but despite my personal preference I really don't think it belongs here. I know you want to protect your commander, and I know you want to play equipment that add to his power, and I know you can more easily keep 4 mana open in a reactive spellslinger blue deck like this. That said, Neither Trinket Mage nor Trophy Mage can fetch it, and your commander builds up counters and the deathmantle will make them fall off. If you were to stick with a 2 mana equipment I prefer Ring of Evos Isle which will boost your commander over time and can equip and keep the hexproof open for cheaper than the deathmantle. I also like Runechanter's Pike as a cheap way to get potentially lorge. And for a 3 mana artifact you can tutor, Champion's Helm seems like an ideal replacement.
- Fall of the Titans When you haven't gone infinite Fall asks A LOT for the benefit of being an instant. And if you have gone infinite, it only has 2 targets so it might not get you there. Jaya's Immolating Inferno has 3 targets so actually finishes the game if you go infinite, and if your commander has like 5 counters on it will deal a lot more damage. Drown in Dreams is another good one if you go big and game winner if you go infinite, just because you can draw 50 cards, mill one player 100 cards, and finish the other two off with another card you just drew.
- Supplant Form is neat but a single bounce likely doesn't slow your opponent down much, their creature probably isn't that good in your deck, and the bookkeeping thing again with making a token copy of someone else's creature is always annoying irl. So how about another spell that just keeps the engine running smoothly? Vedalken Orrery like the Leyline I recommended before frees you up generally but also helps facilitate day/night switching, but is pretty expensive. If that's an issue, Zaffai, Thunder Conductor is another fun card you could be playing who gets you scry bonuses all the time, Elementals for pretty big spells, and throws around 10 damage for the really big ones!
- Bonders' Enclave I just don't see this triggering reliably. Like it is bad when you are losing, when your commander is small or dead, which could be half the game! Mikokoro, Center of the Sea is like my favorite land, is cheaper to activate, can be done under any circumstances, and you can use it as a political tool to garner goodwill! Alternatively given that your commander loves +1/+1 counters Opal Palace seems like a no brainer and should actually go in here even if you have to cut a Mountain.