Dark Heart of the Wood
Sacrifice a Forest: You gain 3 life.
Printings View all
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Uncommon|
|The Dark (DRK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Dark Heart of the Wood Discussion
3 weeks ago
8 months ago
Here's one that requires some oldschool cards.
This is infinite life and infinite mana. In short... Fastbond was broken
1 year ago
Until end of turn, whenever a basic land would be put into your graveyard, you may instead return it to the battlefield tapped.
The combo works by you having Zuran Orb out and playing this. Then, you can sac your basic lands an infinite number of times to gain infinite life and infinite landfall triggers.
Create another card that goes infinite with a different previously printed real card.
2 years ago
Lost in the Woods
Howl of the Night Pack
Beacon of Creation
Life and Limb
Staff of the Wild Magus
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Dark Heart of the Wood+Overgrown Tomb or Utopia Sprawl
Patron of the Orochi
Reach of Branches
2 years ago
Nice idea using Dark Heart of the Wood...if your'e playing it in paper, then it's legal to use so long as your playgroup/venue allows. If your'e interested in land sac then this guy might be of interest: Village Elder, he can save some of your big guys from removal. If you are trying to go the Delve route you will need a lot more ways to fill the graveyard. While I love Pulse of Murasa, a better option would be Grapple with the Past. Take a look at this delve deck I run to get an idea of how many spells are devoted to filling the graveyard: Eye D-Bug.
2 years ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.
3 years ago
Enchantments and lands unfortunately don't have enough overlap for my liking other than Overgrown Estate and Dark Heart of the Wood actually being enchantments. I want to play with cards like The Gitrog Monster, Knight of the Reliquary and Titania, Protector of Argoth. Crucible of Worlds and Life from the Loam, and the odds are the deck will need a fair number of enchantments to function so it would be nice if there was some sort of synergy between the two.
Even maybe some kind of Vampire Druid, the first green vampire?
3 years ago
Dark Heart of the Wood Carnage Gladiator Disciple of Griselbrand Corpsejack Menace Dreg Mangler can all be replaced. Could replace keyrunes with other signet? replace Treacherous Urge and Turn Against with better still creature ones