|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Destroy all creatures, then search target opponent's library for up to three creature cards and put them into his or her graveyard. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Life's Finale Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Thanks for all the tips, already made a few changes to the deck now that I'm quite happy with. Still considering making more changes. I have now included Mind Stone and Basalt Monolith for more ramp. Also running Frantic Search , Careful Study and Ancient Excavation now.
I also added a few more lands that I can sack to get more value out of Crucible of Worlds , not looking to invest too much money in lands though because of the overall low impact of including those expensive lands ( Cabal Coffers being the only thing I might really want because of its high impact). Three sac lands was really not enough to justify Crucible of Worlds , honestly should've done something about that far sooner.
Going to consider putting Harvester of Souls in the deck, not going to invest in a Damnation however, a bit too expensive for what it does. More likely to run Life's Finale or Necromantic Selection instead if I feel like I need more boardwipes.
Wanted to mention why I run Unstable Obelisk . It's in the deck as a way for me to deal with non-creature permanents, it's more a removal spell that also acts as a mana-rock instead of the other way around. It's also a great bartering tool in my opinion (not to mention Ashes to Ashes is also kinda unattractive since I don't want to exile creatures, I'd rather have them die so I can Eternalize them with The Scarab God ).
I did end up cutting Soul Ransom , but the card was honestly used more to gain card advantage, I was totally fine with people discarding two and letting me draw two (basically Divination and Mind Rot for one card). You can even sack the creature in response to the discard, you still get the cards, but they don't get the creature back. Holding their commander hostage this way is in my opinion pretty good. If you don't draw cards off of it at least you get to have control of the creature, so win-win really (admittedly this card is way worse if they have cards they don't mind discarding in hand, but still, you at least draw two).
What I should've mentioned before is that I'm not too keen on running more tutors. Too many makes the deck too repetitive to play and more importantly, to play against. Friends have already complained about my life-drain combos being a bit much and happening too frequently.
Going infinite is not something I typically look to do either, which is why Gravecrawler is in the maybe section. I know he's incredible, but he kinda feels too easy to exploit, still on the fence about including him.
Overall thank you again for all your ideas, some of the changes you've suggested have helped already and I certainly have plenty of choices to consider now! Feeling a lot more con
1 month ago
I would try to add some more red cards personally to have a more even mana spread as you don't want to ever be locked out of any cards unless you want to only splash red (although red has lots of good cards such as seen below)
THE WITTLE - Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 months ago
I would suggest more ramp artifacts like Dimir Amulet and a couple of more lands. I would also suggest more wrath effects cards like Damnation and its cheaper, but still great, alternatives like Life's Finale . I see that you put some bounce effects cards like Cyclonic Rift but for example Tragic Slip could be easily replaced by a mass removal. The two things i want to stress out are: 1) try not to miss land drop and try to ramp as fast as possible, 2) mass removals to get rid of all your opponents' threats.
For the rest i see you put in some tutor cards, some cards to protect your commander. I would also add some draw engine like Rhystic Study , Phyrexian Arena and similar cards just to be sure you draw enough cards.
2 months ago
So first off I just want to say sorry if you have a budget and I recommend some cards outside of price range, but here are some suggestions from me:
Cards to take out
- Murder I get that you say that there aren't many planeswalkers in your meta, but sometimes just having the option to hit them on a card that is the same mana cost and does everything else Murder does is just a better option like Hero's Downfall or like you said you fight voltron decks like Zurgo Helmsmasher a card like Vraska's Contempt is a better removal card as it exiles or only one more colorless mana.
- Isareth the Awakener while she is a reanimator, she also exiles the cards when they leave the battlefield which can hurt if you reanimate something you don't want to lose.
- Lotleth Giant - sounds like a good card when you first look at it but it requires set up and costs 7 mana. Not ideal.
- Necrotic Wound - same with the Lotleth Giant , it takes too much set up and there are better spot removal or board wipes
- Open the Graves now here me out on this one, this card is really good in a deck that wants to sacrifice their own creatures, but this looks to be more token focused which means that majority of your creatures that die don't have Open the Graves to trigger.
- Bontu's Monument it is a good card but it looks like you are going to try and cast more non-creature spells than creature spells
- Board wipes like Life's Finale or if you wanna get expensive Damnation
- Paradox Haze this card is a fun one of mine as it allows The Scarab God to have his beginning of upkeep trigger twice dealing hefty damage.
- Phyrexian Altar this card can win as it gives you deck infinite combos with Gravecrawler if you want the deck to go into that direction
- Tutors Tutors Tutors! cards like Sidisi, Undead Vizier or Diabolic Tutor are always musts in black decks as it can help you find answers or wincons when the situation calls for it. These are just a few ideas I have! If you want any more ideas please let me know!
What to put in?So what do we put in? We have a few options based on what you like:
2 months ago
I find Life's Finale works well with Tariel - not only are board wipes appreciated, you can also put your opponent's three best creatures straight into his graveyard from his library, giving Tariel a chance to bring them back later. Likewise, Magewright's Stone and Thousand-Year Elixir gives Tariel more chances to reanimate creatures every turn. Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves let her get moving a turn earlier and provide some much-needed protection, too!
3 months ago
Life's Finale occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%