|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
Mystic Melting Discussion
6 months ago
Besides those suggestions, in general you need some removal and fetches. So Kodama's Reach , Realms Uncharted , Explosive Vegetation , Return to Dust , Beast Within , Angel of Despair , Wrecking Ball (just too hilarious not to run), Mystic Melting etc. I know Realms Uncharted is $5 but it's so perfect for four color decks it's scary.
7 months ago
8 months ago
So apparently spells like Abrupt Decay are no longer 'countered' by the game when they go to resolve with no legal target. Does Abrupt Decay still resolve but have no practical function? Or does it just go away with no effect as though it had been countered, but now we're claiming it wasn't 'countered'?
So if a Mystic Melting has its only target removed and would previously have been countered by the game, will it now instead not get countered and result in the owner still getting the card draw?
1 year ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.
1 year ago
While I will agree a hydra legendary is flavorful for a tribal hydra build, Ulasht is not being utilized here. He/she/it wants lots of GR creatures for oodles of counters while your deck is focused on (in my eyes) making large hydras. I think Rosheen Meanderer would be a better fit here for obvious reasons. Even Xenagos, God of Revels plays better with big beaters.
You also have very little draw so dumping your hand and top-decking is very real. Not very fun for a new player imo. Elemental Bond, Soul of the Harvest, Zendikar Resurgent, Harmonize, Cathartic Reunion, Tormenting Voice, etc. all will do the trick nicely and cheaply.
I would also say add in more interaction, it is no fun wanting for answers, especially new players. Slice in Twain and Mystic Melting are good answers which cantrip; Beast Within answers anything; and Chaosphere answers a weakness to fliers present here and will make opponents re-read the card before every combat/block step.
1 year ago
Saw your reddit post but figured I'd post here: there's some good ideas going on but you're not playing to merfolks' strengths.
For instance, a few of the lords give islandwalk yet you don't have anything to make islands in case your opponent isn't playing blue. Spreading Seas, Quicksilver Fountain, and Tideshaper Mystic can solve this.
I love Talrand and the new Primal Amulet looks fun but you've got 13/99 cards that interact with them. Not worth it if you keep those #s imo. Lullmage Mentor is also subpar due to you only having 3 counters.
Due to Ixalan more Simic merfolk care about counters, especially Herald of Secret Streams, so giving counters out to complement could be beneficial. Retreat to Kazandu and Bow of Nylea come immediately to mind because they are solid in here regardless but boost a counter strategy too.
Cards that look odd in here to me are Acidic Slime, Emperor's Vanguard, Waker of the Wilds, Psychosis Crawler, Chasm Skulker, and Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix. These are mostly decent cards I just don't see how they really gel with your deck. The last few regard draw and I honestly don't see a lot in here to call it a "sub theme" (14 sources at a quick glance, most 1-shots). Pull from Tomorrow, Blue Sun's Zenith, Rhystic Study, Coastal Piracy, Shamanic Revelation, Elemental Bond (if you have a lord out most merfolk will come in as 3+/x), Mystic Remora, Azami, Lady of Scrolls (lots of merfolk are also wizards), etc. ensure you either get a lot of draw for your spell or continual draw if not dealt with.
You also have very little interaction so if you're opponent is faster or doing something degenerate you're screwed. Beast Within is great, I personally like cards such as Slice in Twain, Mystic Melting, Arcane Denial, Dream Fracture, etc. because while a little more expensive they deal with a problem and replace themselves.
Hope something I said helps!
No data for this card yet.