|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Heroes vs. Monsters (DDL)||Common|
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Common|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Spider
Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
Deathtouch (Any amount of damage this deals to a creature is enough to destroy it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||Yawkcorb , Jauntu , MattN7498 , XxCataclysmiCxX , mandoso , ninjaclevs13 , ahobrien , ironax , Fiolek , webdokkeren , frederiklw , richardmv , MythicWinter111 , Mousemke , bakeraj4 , Ashy|
|Want (6)||KingCold999 , Talonisnthavingit , jmunda , LilBDeSmall , eastly , ash473|
Deadly Recluse Discussion
3 months ago
You only have 19 lands I'd take outAcidic Slime Disciple of Phenax Extractor Demon Kessig Cagebreakers for more lands. Some good early stuff like Deathrite Shaman Deadly Recluse Llanowar Elves and Typhoid Rats shouldb help to speed the deck up
3 months ago
Updated Deck - Version 1.2
The goals of this change are to speed up the casting of my best creatures by a turn or two, improve the reliability of finding the payload creatures,and decrease the mana curve a bit.
3x Orcish Lumberjack - Fast mana in this deck's colors
3x Fierce Empath - Tutors the critical pieces
1x Forest - Small increase, as the Lumberjacks both help color balancing and consume Forests. May end up swapping 1 more Mountain for another Forest.
4 months ago
Looking at this one again lately for possible upgrades. I'm considering the following changes.
The point of the changes is to get the most important elements of the deck out more quickly and reliably.
4 months ago
Remove anything that doesn't say, "you may draw a card when a creature enters" or you might just deck yourself with your all-cheating. Momentous Fall, Soul's Majesty, or Life's Legacy could probably draw much better than Elemental Bond. With all the card draw this deck does, some redundancy with maximum hand size helps a lot. Spellbook, Library of Leng, Thought Vessel
I'm thinking a Brass Squire would be a nice inclusion, especially with some of my suggestions, or just because you move a lot of equipment around. Helm of the Host, can let you copy Grothama and have it fight itself for 20 cards drawn.
There are two big glaring weaknesses of this deck: Flyers, and removal. For removal best to worst: Beast Within, Song of the Dryads, Karn Liberated, Argentum Armor, Steel Hellkite, Spine of Ish Sah remove anything. Reclamation Sage, Acidic Slime, Bramblecrush, Woodfall Primus can slow down your opponents while building your board.
Never go without graveyard interaction, Tormod's Crypt, Scavenging Ooze, or Relic of Progenitus will put an end to the Spore Frog + Meren of Clan Nel Toth combo, Archaeomancer + Time Warp, and other shenanigans
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar and Ulvenwald Hydra are both giant reach creatures that hang back on D. They can fight Grothama and live too, just be sure to Fog so they don't go attacking with 10 damage marked on them. Tornado Elemental, Whirlwind, or Hurricane can deal with your archetypal Angel, Demon, or Dragon, tribal decks. Alternatively, Deadly Recluse or Hornet Queen will make no one want to attack you
7 months ago
I used to think likewise about mana rocks, but I'm back to test them because they really put you ahead faster than green ramp spells.
Sol Ring is just way too powerful not to use it, especially in a deck with costs that require so much generic mana.
In the best scenario where Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder or Wayfarer's Bauble (or Gruul Signet that matter) are on your opening hand they will make you have four mana by turn three and you don't/didn't have so many important cards for four mana, you need to hit higher mana to start developing your game, the deck average mana cost is just too high for +1 mana spell to be meaningful.
Worn Powerstone and Overgrowth compared to Cultivate add the same amount amount of mana but if you cast them on turn three, with Worn Powerstone and Overgreowth you'll be on six mana by turn four providing you have a fourth land in your hand but with cultivate you'll only be on five mana. Overgrowth after turn three will usually be placed on a untapped land and you'll be able to use its mana on that same turn.
About Rite of the Raging Storm. In my meta the board will be starting to get scary by that point. There can be many problematic creatures like Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas, The Gitrog Monster and others. All that Rite of the Raging Storm does is just lowering other players life slowly, later it can be good to get triggers from Omnath, Where Ancients Tread and Warstorm Surge, but you can't keep the elemental for blocking purposes or to mass them for posterior use. You'll still have your doors open for anyone, and you know what? they will be pissed that they can't attack you with the token so they will attack you with their own creatures for sure. At that point a Deadly Recluse will probably be more useful (all of this on my meta, maybe your games play out differently). So all of this means that in your deck Rite of the Raging Storm is a late game card and for a late game card is not that good.
8 months ago
After few games I noticed this deck needs more death-touch than infect.
More tap enchountments Psionic Gift
9 months ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.
9 months ago
Alright, so I am giving you feedback based on the cards I know you have in paper, your budget, and your expressed desire to move away from aggro and into a more spell-based deck. The best version of your build right now is B/G Midrange, but since you don't have $1500 we'll have to make some adjustments.
Midrange runs more lands and less creatures than you have. 2 Hissing Quagmire is good, I know you have those so you can slot those right away. You won't be able to afford Verdant Catacombs so you could run Evolving Wilds instead like you are but I'd stick with two, you don't want too many lands that come in tapped. Look into running 4x Blooming Marsh and 2x Overgrown Tomb along with 4x Field of Ruin. Everything else can be a basic land, you'll want to run 2 or 3 more Swamps than Forests though and want 22-23 lands. Also, for budget 4x Llanowar Wastes and 2x Temple of Malady are ok, much better than running a bunch of basics. Most competitive decks run somewhere between 6-8 basics. My advice though is you don't want more than 4 lands in your deck coming in tapped, and 2 of those slots are already taken by Hissing Quagmire.
I know you have a lot of Doomblade, that's fine but I wouldn't run more than two and you should look into maxing out your playset of Fatal Push along with 2-3 Abrupt Decay and 2-3 Dismember. You can run 4x Rancor in Aggro but in midrange you only want 2x max. 3x Vampire Nighthawk is fine, other than that look into Tireless Tracker, Scavenging Ooze, Eternal Witness, and Mindslicer. Deadly Recluse is ok, the rest of your creatures don't really fit in midrange but if you want to go for a more aggro build with more Rancor and more creatures Swordwise Centaur and Kalonian Tusker are pretty good. You gotta decide if you want midrange or aggro though and stick with it. I will say that building aggro on a budget is easier. If you do decide to go the aggro route, you're running a lot of subpar enchantments and bulk ups. Look into Vines of Vastwood, its super cheap and amazing in any Green aggro build.
Also, 4x Duress is good but look into Inquisition of Kozilek as well. You could even run a combo of the two, like 2x Duress and 4x Inquisition of Kozilek or something. For now put in your full playset of Duress.