|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Uncommon|
|Duels of the Planeswalkers (DPA)||Uncommon|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Uncommon|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Spend only black mana on X.
Consume Spirit deals X damage to target creature or player and you gain X life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Consume Spirit Discussion
1 week ago
+1!!! Sheoldred, Whispering One, Elixir of Immortality, Fatal Push, Rise of the Dark Realms, Deathbringer Regent, Eater of Hope, Phthisis, Malakir Cullblade, Abhorrent Overlord, Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet, Fate Unraveler, Consume Spirit, Cabal Ritual -I COULD GIVE YOU MORE, IF YOU WOULD LIKE- JUST TRYING TO HELP OUT!?!
1 month ago
Than you need more Lifelink, to use the Whip as a crucial finisher and the Arena as a card draw, without high selfdamage, maybe with Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet or Tribute to Hunger. Normally your opponent will only have one or two creatures on the board. Therefore Tribute to Hunger is more efficient as Consume Spirit. Then you need something against Aggro or Token Decks. Yahenni's Expertise should do its job, and can bring you a Nighthawk or else back on the board, after you cleared it.
Those creatures are all double black for your devotion to black.
I run a siilar deck, maybe you give it a look:You played a creature? And.... its gone!.
1 month ago
I like the deck! I have deck similar with the goal of exsanguinate. personally I prefer Profane Command over Consume Spirit as it has more utility and will let you get your critters back into the field. To me Kuro, Pitlord seems a little counterproductive as he sucks up mana every turn making you blast for less with exsanguinate. I'm also a fan of Crypt Ghast or Nirkana Revenant. here is a link to my deck if you want to check it to see if you get any ideas from it: Black Ramp. Good luck with it!
2 months ago
Yahenni is another excellent commander choice i forgot to mention but you seem to have noticed.. it? Idk if yahenni has a specific gender
Id recommend extra mana ramp lands to get things out sooner and bolster Exsanguinate or Consume Spirit effects, the lands im referring to are the ones i mentioned earlier, Crypt of Agadeem, Cabal Coffers, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and perhaps even a Thespian's Stage to copy coffers or crypt for INSANE mana potential
2 months ago
Thanks, PlatinumKH! I'm glad you like it!
2 months ago
3 months ago
Ahh okay. I have a few suggestions for you (I'm not much of a black player but I do have a few tricks up my sleeves!)
Night Market Lookout, it's basically a better Mardu Shadowspear but without a dash you could run both actually!
Consume Spirit You can use this as either a finisher or some removal. Sadly it's sorcery speed but it's a goody in mono black.
Sadistic Sacrament I'd use this card as a sideboard option against certain combo decks, if they aren't running 4 of an essential combo piece you can tear their deck apart.
Tell me what you think!
4 months ago
Hey there. Prepare for a wall of text, as I think you're on to something here but could benefit a lot from some additional information.
As I have been building and playing with a Demon deck for a few years now, and my group is transitioning from casual Legacy to Modern, I have a ton of suggestions, but I will try to keep them moderately priced, assuming you are operating on a budget.
The main reason that Demons aren't played by a wide array of people is that they cannot efficiently operate without mana acceleration. Your idea is to go the sacrificing route, but in its current form that is quite inconsistent, as there aren't many demons that you can push out quickly.
I see two main avenues you could go in order to push out Demons fairly quickly and with more consistency, and without having to play weak-ass creatures (That's not the point of a demon deck after all). Outside of Modern it would be considerably easier, but lets go the Modern route.
Route 1: Mana acceleration
The problem in modern is, that most mana acceleration engines are banned. Currently you don't have too many choices in this department and they rely on creature spells, which are prone to removal.
- Crypt Ghast Pretty good card, can let you push out any and all Demons in Turn 5, including Reiver Demon
- Nirkana Revenant 6 Mana is quite a lot, just to boost your actual mana-generation. Not recommended.
- Korlash, Heir to Blackblade Probably your best bet, as it can be incredibly powerful but likely not in your budget.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Again, probably not in your budget.
Route 2: Creature cost decrease
- Heartless Summoning Let this one sink in. It can be incredibly powerful and allow you to drop bombs as early as turn 5 and with consistency. If you rely solely on demons and other big stompers, the -1/-1 won't bother you in the slightest.
Specific card critique
- If you play Demons (which don't need any powerup) and plan to sacrifice your smaller creatures (they would die inevitably, the powerup would be wasted), there is no reason to play Unholy Strength.
- Tendrils of Corruption is probably better here than Consume Spirit
- It depends on the circumstance, but to keep you alive Tribute to Hunger can be better than Dark Banishing
- Larceny is just bad, unless multiples of your Imps survive until round 5, which is not a given.
- Oni Possession You might be trading three cards for one removal spell here. First, you sacrifice a creature, then you enchant your own. If the enemy casts a simple removal spell, you lost three cards, for +3/+3 and 3 mana.
Now, for the good part! More Demons, more powerful cards, a better mana curve and a stronger competitive focus!
- Desecration Demon Arguably the best Demon for a budget. He was even features in the duel deck, albeit a different one. And you really need more cards in the 4-mana Slot. With Heartless Summoning it can be played for 2, is a 5/5 flier and let's your opponents sacrifice creatures!
- Mutilate Boardsweeper, in case you end up being dominated before you can get out your fatties. As a bonus, if played early, your fatties will survive.
- Bloodgift Demon A 5-mana flying, demonized Phyrexian Arena. A total bomb.
- Read the Bones or Night's Whisper or Ambition's Cost Card Draw for a budget.
- Whip of Erebos Can be ridiculously overpowered in this deck.
- Lightning Greaves Haste and protection for 2 mana. Probably worth the investment, as it can be a powerhouse in most decks.