Creature — Human Cleric
You have shroud. (You can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Printings View all
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
True Believer occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
True Believer Discussion
3 weeks ago
You can use double square brackets around a card's name to create a reference link. It's the best way to make sure everyone understands what's going on in your question: Sporecrown Thallid
Yes, the fungus and saproling creatures would get another +1/+1 if you play a second Sporecrown Thallid. +X/-X effects are always additive with one another.
Some more notes about abilities: there are three basic kinds of abilities in the game - activated, triggered, and static
- Activated abilities are always written in the form of "Cost : Effect", like Prodigal Pyromancer, or the last ability on Thallid. They're activated by paying the cost specified in the ability
- Triggered abilities are always written to start with one of the words "when", "whenever", or "at", like Blood Artist, or the first ability on Thallid. They trigger whenever the specified event happens
- Anything that isn't activated or triggered is some kind of static ability, like on True Believer or Sporecrown Thallid. They're just "always on"
2 months ago
mikeb388, well, I don't play against burn much, but if I were, the things that would help me the most are Brave the Elements, True Believer, and The Ozolith. I'd probably also sideboard in Nevermore and Elixir of Immortality. If I played against burn more often, I'd have a different sideboard. There are plenty of spells available in white. Also, if you use a bolt on my t1 creature drop, that's a 1 for 1 trade - so no one is getting any real advantage. If you target me instead of my creature on T1, then I have a decent chance of pumping that creature up to 4/4, which makes it harder to burn. I can also use Brave the Elements and Abzan Falconer to avoid many blockers. It's not the greatest deck ever built, but in the $100 range, it's a pretty solid list.
6 months ago
Most of the good hatebears have been mentioned already. Here are some more annyoing cards I can add to the list hereabove: Tithe Taker, Suppression Field, Angel of Jubilation, Eidolon of Obstruction, Eidolon of Rhetoric, True Believer, Leyline of Sanctity, Auriok Champion, Kor Firewalker and Aegis of the Gods.
Note that, though I find the archetype very cool, Hatebears - just like DnT - isn't very good in Modern. You have many degenerate strategies going around so unless you know the local meta like no one else, it'll be very hard for you to pull off results at big tournaments. Now if your goal is to have fun and/or try to win your LGS's FNM's then that's totally fine ;)
7 months ago
:( I thought I put a long comment the other day, but it's only appearing on my screen as a single line! I can't remember everything I wrote, so the TL,DR version is 'I like the more ways you have to protect Avacyn, here are some cards you might want to think about removing because I can't see much synergy in the deck, here are some cards you might want to add, and here are some other things to think about whilst playing the deck" :D here's the abridged version:
THINK ABOUT REMOVING:
- Amulet of Vigor - you have almost nothing that enters tapped
- Song of the Worldsoul - you have very few ways of generating tokens
- Tower of Eons - by the time you have mana to activate this you'll almost be in a position to win!
- Meteorite - there are better mana rocks, try Sisay's Ring, Everflowing Chalice, Ur-Golem's Eye, Prismatic Lens or Marble Diamond. The little bit of damage is unlikely to do much, and it's a lot of extra mana to spend to do 2 damage.
- Leyline of Sanctity - this doesn't not have synergy with your deck, but you don't have much in the way of low-end creatures, so True Believer and Aegis of the Gods both fill that slot and both can trigger cards like Oketra's Monument and Mentor of the Meek, and give you blockers if you're very low on health. Extra synergy!
THINK ABOUT ADDING:
More instant-speed interaction, such as:
- Swords to Plowshares
- Path to Exile
- Fated Retribution - a little more expensive than normal wraths, but it means you can hold your mana up and wipe the board if someone is swinging at you for lethal
- Rout - as above - instant board-clear is useful
- Return to Dust - good at getting rid of annoying pieces of other players, also useful for getting rid of pesky enchantments on Avacyn like Darksteel Mutation, Imprisoned in the Moon, Frogify, etc
Other good cards to consider adding down the line (if you want to spend more to upgrade the deck further with other good white cards):
OTHER GAME-TABLE THOUGHTS:
It feels like what this deck wants to do is get Avayn out and then wipe the board, putting you far enough ahead to hopefully win. People don't like losing their lands, and if you wipe with cards like Armageddon then people will probably scoop instead of playing it out. Later on you might find that they focus you in future games because they don't want to risk losing all their lands. This can be avoided by taking out your land destruction spells - but keeping them in means that when you win it will be in more of an overwhelming victory! It also might change how you build your creatures - if you want to win by wiping out everyone else's lands, then you need to make sure you have enough small creatures to keep you alive until you can get Avacyn out on turn ~7. Your call! :)
Hope some of those thoughts are helpful. Have fun! <(^_^)>
9 months ago
February 2020 update:
Deck holds up very well in multiplayer, though some of the clerics' abilities aren't as relevant as I'd expected them to be so time to shave a bit off of the top for removal and more mana ramp. Some of the existing removal is being swapped for more versatile/lower CMC cards as well. I'm torn between Devoted Caretaker and Giver of Runes but went with Giver since its activation doesn't have a mana cost.
Future: I do like the suggestions of Blood Speaker, Children of Korlis, Daru Spiritualist, Shaman En-Kor and Heirloom Blade and I'll see if I can eventually fit some or all of them in somehow, particularly the Blood Speaker and Blade.
1 year ago
Very cool! I like cleric tribal, since they're so versatile.
You might be able to get some inspiration from a similar build I put together years ago: Clerical Errors
1 year ago
I think I pulled a copy or two of On Thin Ice ... I wonder if I pulled enough Snow-Covered Plains to implement it. I've been fairly enamored with Chained to the Rocks for a quite a while, so On Thin Ice definitely caught my eye when MH hit.
Mangara of Corondor - Hmmm. A very attractive card in that once it's been activated, there's no opportunity for its targets to come back like there is with O-Ring. AND it's a Human, so it gives us an extra trigger. That said, it's considerably slower than O-Ring, which is itself on the slow side. AND, during that time it could get removed before it could be tapped, which would be a considerable downside. AND the thought of burning up a Brave the Elements just to sac it the next turn is pretty unappealling. I've been thinking of replacing the O-Rings with Generous Gift for both the speed and even broader applications - while 'gifting' opponents 3/3 Elephants isn't lovely, only destroying its target seems like the real trade-off vs O-Ring. Additionally, with GG, we lose the ability to hit Emrakul or other similarly vulnerable threats. Have you tried Mangara at all yourself? Any successes?
Also, it's so nice of you to make the effort to leave me this comment. As silly as it sounds, seeing it really picked me up today.
1 year ago
Hello again Kamarupa I have a few more card suggestions for you. I have had success with On Thin Ice in place of Journey to Nowhere . Additionally, True Believer might be slightly better for you than Aegis of the Gods . Also out curiosity, I've recently thought of using Mangara of Corondor in place of Oblivion Ring what are your thoughts on this? Deck still looking good though!