Creature — Human Cleric
Haunt (When this card is put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game haunting target creature.)
When Orzhov Pontiff enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, choose one - creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn; or creatures you don't control get -1/-1 until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Orzhov Pontiff Discussion
1 week ago
I know you think Spike Feeder combo is slow or inconsistent but trust me you want it in the deck. I play Abzan Evolution as well and it plays pretty much like a creature heavy midrange deck but with a backdoor combo. You play all your games normally and every now and again you get to go infinite and win some matches you may have been way behind in or had no business winning to begin with. The other bonus of running it is it can reset your Kitchen Finks as well.
Personally Im also more in favor of disruption in the form of creatures instead of spells since you are a toolbox deck. 1 ofs of Scavenging Ooze, Reclamation Sage, Orzhov Pontiff, or Fiend Hunter can make your Eldritch Evolutions better mainboard. In the sideboard you can run a good amount of silver bullets like Eidolon of Rhetoric, Aven Mindcensor, Sin Collector, Spellskite, Melira, Sylvok Outcast, and Fulminator Mage.
Some other cards I highly suggest would be Eternal Witness, Thragtusk, and Reveillark. With Witness in your deck you can get huge value out of your Reveillark by returning Eternal Witness, Voice of Resurgence, Fiend Hunter, Scavenging Ooze, and all of the sideboard cards I suggested.
1 week ago
Modern is a very fast format, and none of those spells are fast enough to address common threats. Zealous Persecution is a very good card, but it fails to take out anything above 1 toughness. Orzhov Pontiff is even worse, as it costs a whole nother point of mana. And as this deck is not running any control or ramp aspects, you're not going to be able to reliably cast a Dictate of Erebos in time for it to effect the board. Again, if you want this deck to be competitive in modern, you need cheap targetable removal. The list is simply not tournament viable without it.
1 week ago
I've played a few different versions of Humans in the past. I came to the following conclusions:
- 1 mana beaters aren't as good in Modern as they are in Standard when it comes to Humans. Because they don't have haste (like Goblin Guide) or because they don't get large quickly (Arcbound Ravager), they end up being slow and cumbersome once your opponent slams down a Tarmogoyf. Against a defenseless opponent, you absolutely will kill them on turn 5. This is still too slow for Modern.
- Hatebears is where the deck eventually goes. Since you can't kill your opponent as quickly as Burn or Affinity, why not just stop them from winning? Reflector Mage, Meddling Mage, Orzhov Pontiff, and Knight of the Reliquary are just some examples in addition to what you already have.
- This means you need a 2nd. or even 3rd. color. Mono-white Humans ends up being just a bad version of Death & Taxes. Either go full D&T or splash another color.
Here are the decks I've toyed with:
SCORE: 5 | 5 COMMENTS | 1164 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
1 VIEW | IN 1 FOLDER
Please note I haven't had a chance to play the Jeskai build at a competitive event yet. The Bant version was eventually turned into Bant CoCo.
I do think the Jeskai build would be the most robust. The addition of Lightning Bolt gives the deck more reach. Not to mention, there's some powerful red hatebears coming out in Amonkhet soon.
1 week ago
I don't believe more of them would do this deck any good.
This deck is meant to be competitive and it works. Check it out for yourself.
4 weeks ago
@trav1405 - I definitely like Qasali Pridemage, especially with Renegade Rallier in the deck. It has a lot of uses and exalted is a nice plus too. In the future I might move one of those and an Orzhov Pontiff from the sideboard to main deck to focus on more toolbox creatures.
@Ethon - I see how Avacyn's Pilgrim would be more consistent. Maybe I'm getting greedy but I do like being able to hardcast Murderous Redcap with Overgrown Tomb + Arbor Elf. I may try running a 2/2 split and see how it goes.
As for Fiend Hunter, I've been debating whether Phyrexian Revoker can cover most of it's functionality.... I'm hoping Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet barely exists and that Revoker can cover Scavenging Ooze. Fiend Hunter is the consensus better option and I'll probably swap back.
1 month ago
I haven't seen a Blood Illness list in quite some time, so +1 for bringing back such a unique build! (It never really left the kitchen table but it was fun)
A couple suggestions,
Since you aren't using white (which would give you access to Twilight Drover, Suture Priest, Zealous Persecution, and Orzhov Pontiff) I'd recommend playing some kind of direct tutor effect to get you illness or a hunted creature, (I don't know exactly what, I know Dizzy Spell is the only transmute for a one drop it's just an idea) simply to improve consistency.
In any case it's nice to see an older deck brought back, Cheers!
1 month ago
1 month ago
I'm in the process of revamping my Ayli deck into a tribal deck and your decklist gives me some great ideas so thank you for that. Welcome back to magic :) Some feedback for you:
I think instead of categories named "ramp" and "mana rocks", they should be "ramp" and "draw". This will give you a better idea of how many draw spells you actually have, which (in my opinion) you don't have enough for such a low mana curve. And on the ramp side of things, I'd stick in 2-3 more.
More commander protection.
Considerations for adds
- Westvale Abbey Flip - Good alternative win-con and an okay token generator if you have nothing else to do
- Wrath of God / Fumigate / etc - OG wrath, and a great on-theme wrath. I'd recommend more than just the one you have but it depends on playgroup. Also casting this after you get the Battalion trigger from Frontline Medic makes me foam at the mouth
- Suture Priest - second cousin of the soul sisters
- Pious Evangel Flip - third cousin,twice removed in-law of the soul sisters
- Sun Titan - Double recursion, and you have so many targets with your curve
- Dawn of the Dead - What's nice about this recursion option is you aren't forced to exile the creature if it'd somehow leave the battlefield through other means cough Ayli cough
- Knight of the White Orchid - ramp
- Wayfarer's Bauble - ramp
- Sword of the Animist - ramp. You'll most likely sac the creature away before combat resolves anyway.
- Pristine Talisman - ramp, lifegain. Best of the bunch of 3 CMCs for this deck. Possibly 1-2 additional 3/4 CMC* rocks.
- Oath of Lieges - ramp
- Swiftfoot Boots - protection
- Gift of Immortality - protection. I love comboing with this and a high toughness creature although it can also be used for Ayli
- Darksteel Plate - protection
- Trading Post - great utility for this deck
- Heliod, God of the Sun - Not the best God out there but very thematic for the deck
- Viridian Longbow - turns Ayli into a sniper with her Deathtouch
- Illusionist's Bracers - double up Ayli's abilities
- Custodi Soulbinders - big boy in multiplayer
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - if you have a lot of non-humans this could go a long way
- Archangel of Thune / Cliffhaven Vampire / Vizkopa Guildmage - weaponize that lifegain
- Pontiff of Blight - I see him in your sideboard--I think his ability is great for this deck and he's got a big butt
- Phyrexian Processor - with enough lifegain you could make X pretty large. Combos great with Children of Korlis
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel - this guy can damn near win the game for you if you can recur him enough times
- Tree of Perdition - somewhat gimmicky but you can see its potential with Ayli
- Any of the three Elspeth Planeswalkers are solid in this deck.
- draw - I'm struggling with this myself. Ambition's Cost, Greed, Necropotence, Jar of Eyeballs, Dark Prophecy, Mind's Eye, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power
Considerations for removal
- Exorcist - I'm not a fan because it's only black, that's too restrictive
- Orzhov Signet - *my issue with the signet is that it's CMC is 2 which conflicts with Ayli. I'd rather get slightly more value out of a 3 CMC the turn after
- Orzhov Pontiff - Ability seems minimal at best but maybe i have tunnel vision
- Hidden Stockpile - Maybe switch to Bitterblossom if price isn't a concern. Or, if you add some of the other token generators maybe this one won't be needed anyway
- Martyr of Sands - Not nearly enough card draw to get a huge benefit out of this