As Nevermore enters the battlefield, name a nonland card.
The named card can't be cast.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , pskinn01|
|Want (2)||AndrewsLuz , Aethos528|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Nevermore occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.02%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
3 weeks ago
Hey BMHKain, these are the changes that I would make:
- Null Rod --> Meekstone
- Humility --> Ward of Bones
- Cabal Ritual --> Alms Collector
- Culling the Weak --> Cradle of Vitality
- Leyline of the Void (your general serves pretty much the same role as this card) --> Sunbond
- Ashes of the Abhorrent --> Rule of Law
- Athreos, Shroud-Veiled (your general shuts Athreos' ability down) --> God-Pharaoh's Statue
- Diabolic Intent --> Night Dealings
- Trepanation Blade (interesting but unreliable) --> Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
1 month ago
I read that post and I disagree with Flash being banned over Protean Hulk . And I get the reasoning for it - it would better if we didn’t have to ban deck archetypes outright and Flash makes everything too consistent and fast and easy to hold up counter magic.
I would however argue that this makes Hulk decks easier to stop if you are running a blue deck, but harder to stop if you are running a non-blue deck. My best answers to stop Hulk is Red Elemental Blast , Pyroblast and Nevermore and if Flash isn’t in the picture I’m going to need to board more niche answers possibly over the red counter spells I’d need for other blue decks just to impact hulk decks. Without Flash hulk players will only run a wider array of cards to get the combo going that can make the combo less interactive for non-blue decks. For example if the Hulk player wants to kill their Hulk with say Altar of Dementia that’s fine, I run enough Disenchant effects to stop it before it gets to that point, but if they sac the Hulk with say Diabolic Intent I’m boned. Having more ways to start the combo may be less consistent for Hulk decks, but its a major headache for people without all-purpose counter magic.
I’ve never liked Hulk decks for the longest time and if you had to ask me I would tell you they should have either banned Protean Hulk or at least ban Grand Abolisher , because I hate running cards like Faerie Macabre , Ghost-Lit Raider and Barbarian Ring just to interact around it. Now that Thassa's Oracle is out I don’t think there’s even much reason to use Grand Abolisher over how good the oracle makes the deck which terrifies me honestly. Removing Flash is a major setback I agree, but I can’t help but feel that there will be cards printed in the future which will make the Hulk easy to cheat into play yet again. Not as easy as Flash , but enough for it to be a concern in the meta like it is now. My argument is unless non-blue decks get better answers that aren’t incredibly niche I think Protean Hulk should get the ban hammer now. Whether Flash gets banned or not I’ve decided I’m not going to even address combating this deck archetype anymore when deck-building, because it just makes my deck useless against every other cEDH deck I’m up against if I have to run so many janky answers.
2 months ago
How to stall:
I don't know any "fast" ways to win but cards I frequently win with are:
The way Karn works is if you restart the game with a few Planeswalkers and something like Assemble the Legion and a few lands on the board most people give up. Especially if you've stolen their Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite or what have you.
3 months ago
Regarding your land drops, I HATE missing land drops, so I know where you're coming from, but at a point you can sacrifice that land for more card draw in the form of Phyrexian Arena , Sign in Blood or Night's Whisper , the last 2 in particular are good in your opening hand. If you choose not to, understand completely. But I've been playing in a more semi-competitive meta, so I make these suggestions from that perspective. Not sure what your meta is like and the level of interaction.
Murderous Rider isn't a crazy upgrade and I understand art for flavor reasons, although I disagree with your art choice, I think the promo looks bad and the "upgrades murderous rider" (whatever it's called) in foil looks spectacular. I respect your artistic taste nevertheless.
Hellfire definitely seems like a pet card since it's the picture of your deck.
I like that aspect of Ill-Gotten Gains , I have 3 mindslaver effects in my mono black deck so I know where you're coming from, thats a fair point.
The promo version of Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed is $55 on TCG player, while it's a lot of $$, just wanted you to be informed of the price difference.
Another note, I LOVE Head Games , but it's not so much a threat as it is a political tool. If you use it that way, by all means. Whenever I tried using it in either of my playgroups, it always worked against me because I was seen as the threat, maybe it isn't the case in your situation. But should you want to go for more efficiency, I would replace it for Mind Twist (note, it says at random). Can be used earlier than head games, bait's counterspell removal, put creatures in their yards from the hand.
3 months ago
Flicker strategies are always fun! I have some thoughts for it.
Reality shift is a horrendously efficient removal spell that I would recommend and Diluvian Primordial has much reach in the late game, potentially getting enough value to set everyone else off course.
At last, Nevermore could shut down commanders with the option of changing the named card.
May your blinks be prosperous!
3 months ago
A few I haven't seen yet:
- Time Reversal (pretty sure at least one of those is a moon)
- Opportunity (7th)
- Dreamborn Muse (Legions, 10th, Commander)
- Higure, the Still Wind (Betrayers, Planechase)
- All Sun's Zenith cards (Mirrodin Besieged)
- Etched Champion (Scars)
- Strionic Resonator (very debatable) (M14, Commander 2019)
- Gustha's Scepter (Alliances)
- Solarion (Fifth Dawn)
- Precursor Golem (Scars)
- Flying Carpet (Revised, Arabian Nights, 4t, 5th, 6th) (on the minaret)
- Oblivion Stone (Mirrodin, Commander)
- Doomsday (arguable) (Masters 25)
- Mortivore (9th, 10th, Odyssey, Commander)
- Ihsan's Shade (Masters 25)
- Dralnu's Pet (Planeshift)
- Ribbons of the Reikai (Betrayers)
- Somnophore (arguable) (Urza's Saga)
- Jace, the Living Guildpact (2015 Core Set)
- Elvish Ranger (Alliances)
- Descendants' Path (Avacyn)
- Burn at the Stake (Avacyn)
- Chaos Imps (Return to Ravnica)
- Enlightened Tutor (right cheek tattoo) (Mirage, 6th)
- Mother of Runes (in the hieroglyphics, top left) (Eternal Masters)
- Nevermore (Innistrad)
- Bottle of Suleiman (Arabian Nights)
- Silent-Blade Oni (Planechase, Commander 2018)
- Angel of Despair (Guildpact, Commander, Ultimate Masters)
- Glacial Fortress (Magic 2010-2013)
- Darkslick Shores (Scars)
- Plateau (arguable) (Alpha-Revised)
- Caged Sun (New Phyrexia, Commander 2014)
- Berserk (on the belt) (arguable) (All editions but A/B/U)
- Brutalizer Exarch (New Phyrexia, Planechase)
- Lotus Cobra (Zendikar, Iconic Masters)
- Homeward Path (Commander, Commander 2013, Commander 2016)
- Lake of the Dead (arguable) (Alliances)
- Tribute to the Wild (Commander, Commander 2015)
- Serene Heart (Mirage)
- Tranquil Domain (arguable) (Mirage)
- Guard Gomazoa (Rise of the Eldrazi, Commander)
- High Tide (Fallen Empires variant 2)
- Ray of Command (Mirage, Commander)
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon (arguable) (Scars)
- Thrummingbird (Scars)
- Hand of the Praetors (Scars)
- Sword of Light and Shadow (Modern Masters)
- Sword of Body and Mind (Scars, FTV: Relics)
- Sword of Feast and Famine (Mirrodin Beseiged)
- Sword of War and Peace (New Phyrexia)
- Mana-Charged Dragon (Commander)
- Crucible of Worlds (Fifth Dawn, 10th Ed, Core 2019)
Couple tips when looking for moons: Both actual moons and moon symbols count, so keep an eye out for moons on things like books, texts, and manufactured things in the art. There is no limit on how small they can be, though it's obvious it has to be large enough to make out. Some cards have very small, very sneaky moons hidden in them this way.
3 months ago
RB is great against tokens, which is what it's usually in SBs for, that it works on stuff like Chalice of the Void is just gravy. But if CoV is that big of a problem for you, perhaps splashing green or white would be worth the slow down. Something like Nevermore would be pretty nice against CoV. Or Assassin's Trophy if budget allows. Or Generous Gift or Beast Within or Revoke Existence if opponents are also running Buried Ruin .
3 months ago
Looks pretty good! How's it been playing?
I like the inclusion of Blast Zone , and overall, I'm jealous that you managed to find room for 26 lands, which is 2 more than I can could fit in.
If you're facing burn, a sideboard with Riot Control , Pay No Heed , and/or Sanctimony might be worth considering. Nevermore might also be a powerful tool against many threats. It also occurs to me this sort of deck is maybe 50/50 against mill, putting so many cards into the graveyard and drawing/thinning like crazy. So Elixir of Immortality might be worth considering for the SB, too.