|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
|Mercadian Masques (MMQ)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
You have shroud. (You can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ivory Mask Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, sorry it took me a while to respond, Ive been very busy, but I don't know if you know this but there is a competetive version of this deck that you can compare this with
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/467984#paperSorry TappedOut Wouldn't let me hyperlink MTGGoldFish
also Ill include the link to my deck that has some different cards, I was going for a little bit more of a control variant. I think your deck is better and I plan to make changes, but if you are curious for more options I have a bunch of different enchantment cards in mine.My VersionI also want to say, that although I love how budget you have kept your versionThere are two cards that after watching various people play versions of this deck I think are almost essential.
Utopia Sprawl and Courser of KruphixEspecially because these two cards allow you to keep comboing off. Once you hav Eidolon of the Blossoms out if you draw a Utopia sprawl you can just cast it on an untapped land and keep going. Courser of Kruphix is even more important, because it can prevent you from drawing a land once. If you do not play the land on your turn you can keep playing enchantment and prevent one land draw by playing it off of the top of your deck instead.
2 months ago
I believe you are forced to eventually target something else if possible, yes. If, say, there are no other creatures on the battlefield and each player controls an Ivory Mask, the game ends in a draw.
2 months ago
OK, so far I have my Commander. Hokori, Dust Drinker
I am not 100% on the rules but I think I can do artifacts. So if I can Defense Grid might be a good idea too.
With that in mind, I am guessing you guys see what I am going for. Lots of Defensive cards, but I am not sure what to use as my late or end game wins. Maybe the white decree that puts angel tokens into play or some other giant angel creatures or something like that. Akroma maybe? An important thing is having tons of cards that produce mana so untapping my land won't be a problem. Suggestions on what I can use for a deck like this? It will be my first deck, and now that I know what theme I want, it is just a matter of knowing what to fill it with.
3 months ago
You think that might be good for a beginners attempt at a commander?
5 months ago
@kamarupa I do not hold the same thought. The singular point of a sideboard card is to readily allow the deck to efficiently, effectively and reliably change their strategy and defenses to better combat stresses. Aegis of the Gods is not now and would not be something that I could considered a reliable form of defense which all together negates its purpose which is to be our answer. Plainly put what do we use Ivory Mask for? We use the mask to help fight against burn, mill, and storm. Aegis is a truly terrible card as it dies to every single type of mainboard removal that the various permutations of these modern decks run such as Lightning Bolt, Abrupt Decay, Path to Exile, Fatal Push. The inclusion of such a card that literally dies to everything would be equivalent to us willing adding dead cards to our mainboard with the only received benefit being a sense of protection which could on any turn be stripped away.
5 months ago
I feel that stoney silence is a bit expensive for this build but your recommendation for Ivory Mask is very good I will make the change. In my meta I rarely fight storm but feel that this deck can deal with storm decently using Nevermore.
5 months ago
I like the deck, so +1 from me, here are my suggestions.
Replace Imperial Mask with either Ivory Mask or Witchbane Orb (I'd suggest Mask because it is an enchantment, and thus not as weak to Kolaghan's Command. Both cards are better and cost less which is what you want since you can't really play leyline on a budget.
I don't know what meta you are going for here, but Eidolon of Rhetoric is great against decks like Storm.
I personally think you could play a Stony Silence or two and still be under budget, but if not it's all good.
6 months ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.