|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Planeswalker — Vivien
+1: Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a creature or land card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
-3: Destroy target artifact, enchantment, or creature with flying.
-8: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have vigilance, trample, and indestructible."
Vivien Reid Discussion
6 days ago
Few things. First of all, I'm glad to finally see someone make a jund deck. Looks cool. I would highly recommend more ramp in your deck, though. Llanowar Elves is an amazing card that all green decks should consider at the very least in standard. Another cheap green spell is Adventurous Impulse . It helps you find the lands you need to dig in your deck or help fix colors of mana while ago looking for threats if mana isn't an issue. I also prefer Vivien Reid over Domri or Golgari Queen. 2 copies in the main are just so versatile. Although less powerful, I would look for easier to cast cards that are low cmc as the deck is very angry on different colors of mana as it is. Like Cast Down instead of a Bedevil or an Assassin's Trophy . I know you want to keep the threat density high, but Treasure Map Flip is something that can filter your draws and provide ramp + minor mana fixing later on. Instead of skewer, Lava Coil just seems a lot better in this deck. One of the best removal spells in Standard currently. Hope some of this helps!
1 week ago
Hey ! I've been playing mono-red for some month now and here are my thoughs :
- Deck is looking nice right now, if you want to go at an fnm and get some wins, this deck can do it. Casually, it seems pretty strong tho.
- I like Frenzy in the mainboard more than Risk Factor because it can solo win / steal game one. Thrashing Brontodon , Mortify , Vivien Reid etc are all a pretty hard counter play but Frenzy is still worth it. Game two you switch it out for Risk Factor while your opponent get some enchantment removal into it's mainboard. I played many games against esper control/jund midrange but not that many against sultai and I think it is the best solution I found.
- I splitted my drop 3 as 2 Chainyboi and 2 Legion Warboss ( the remaining copies of them are in sideboard ). The Warboss did so much work against any kind of control/late ( dimir, esper ) deck that doesn't instantly remove him while Chainyboi is "just" a 3/3. Not switching to 4 Warboss because Chainyboi is still dumb strong against mono white and any creature deck ( and it proc spectacle as etb ).
- I removed Runaway Steam-Kin from the deck. It is way too greedy and not that strong in the end. It is strong, but a turn two 1/1 that will prolly die before your next turn ( Cast Down , Moment of Craving , everything ) is meh.
- I don't know about Fanatical Firebrand . I find it really weak but the deck needs some turn 1. I removed it from mine but I can't say it's 100% the right thing.
I hope it will help you and if you have anything to say about this, I will be glad to discuss ! Enjoy mono red !
1 week ago
Agree with many of the comments above. Try to limit single use cards. Can't recommend too much w/o knowing a specific meta, but look at the comment above for a lot of advice. I personally enjoy Ripjaw Raptor and Vivien Reid over Domri. Zhur-Taa Goblin doesn't seem that good in the Sb. Cindervines is a really sweet card.
1 week ago
Hey, you asked my opinion. One time I read about consistence of decks composition. There is a lot of single copy cards, this make the game very unpredictible for yourself, lack of a solid strategy. My advice is to focus in more 3 and 4 copies of a single card and lass 1 and 2. But is a great selection o of card for a Gruul deck.
- Llanowar Elves , keep 4 of it.
- Dire Fleet Daredevil is a good card, but situational, 2 of then if you want to keep.
- Thorn Lieutenant is a good creature, good effect. But more oriented for a token deck, i would not put in this deck.
- Captain Lannery Storm takeout, have no synergy.
- Deathgorge Scavenger same as above.
- Gruul Spellbreaker best creature Gruul, 4 of them.
- Reclamation Sage and Thrashing Brontodon have the same objective. If I would choose Thrashing Brontodon . But have you see the Cindervines ? Is a good adittion, but I wold keep in the Side. For a enchant/artifact more oriented deck. Well, would use 2 or 3 of them if is that the case.
- Now the 4 cost I would consider to run few of them, would slowdown to much the deck.
- Dagger Caster is a good card, but would take it out.
- Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma you dont have that much of 4 power or more in the deck, would take out or increse the number Goreclaw for 3 and put more 4 power creatures. But I dont think is the case.
- Grand Warlord Radha good, not more them 2. since is legendary,
- Nullhide Ferox Very nice! 2 of Him wold make a great addition.
- Ripjaw Raptor Good for a draw. 2 of them but the other 4 creatures are better.
- Vine Mare is a good creature, against black is a unblockeable tank. But same as above, we have better creatures.
- 5, is a liitle mor harder to put on field. but...
- Charging Monstrosaur I love this guy, I would put 3 of them, if you can. Haste, Trample, maybe 6/6 with riot. Perfect.
- Demanding Dragon lets stay wtih only 3 creatures with 5 cost? Só choose betwew the Mostrosaur ou this little Dragon guy here.
- Ravager Wurm 1 is enogh, a nice surprise if you can cast it.
- Lava Coil Good removal, 3 of them, 3 of Lightning Strike or 3 of Thrash / Threat , they have pretty much the same cost and remove cards. Lava Coil is solid, Lightning Strike is flexible and Thrash / Threat work out with yours creatures power. I would choose one of them. Maybe leave one on side.
- Act of Treason I dont think that is a good card to the deck.
- Fight with Fire Great, 2 is a good number for it. can takeout a lot of threats.
- Response / Resurgence , woith Fight with Fire this is a little unecessary. Have a cheap cost, but is situational. Is a instant, make a little more flexible. If you keep it 3 of them would be nice.
- Rhythm of the Wild Put 3 of it, please xD.
- Domri, Chaos Bringer and Vivien Reid . Choose one and keep 2 of it. I wold go with Domri.
1 week ago
I want to recommend a strategy my friend employs for abzan midrange. He uses the explore package with Merfolk Branchwalker , Jadelight Ranger , Seekers' Squire , and Wildgrowth Walker . He has some more value creatures in the deck like Knight of Autumn , Izoni, Thousand-Eyed , Trostani Discordant , Llanowar Elves and Militia Bugler which is very good in that it picks up any creature in the deck. He has some Cast Down s and Mortify as well as Find / Finality .
In the sideboard he has some more grindy cards like planeswalkers including Vivien Reid , Vraska, Golgari Queen , Karn, Scion of Urza . He has alternative removal in Assassin's Trophy and Ixalan's Binding For control he has some Duress , Arguel's Blood Fast Flip and Unbreakable Formation .
2 weeks ago
Looks good, but it looks like you put Return to Dust in, which is white, rather than Krosan Grip ? I'm not sure how I feel about Vivien Reid , Nissa, Vital Force is a pretty insane planeswalker for green that is easy to ult the following turn after she is played. Also, Constant Mists is a really good fog card that can simply win games with the buyback, I'd consider replacing Fog for it.
3 weeks ago
For fun, I looked into what options you had if you removed the mono-Black requirement.
For High Alert to work, you would have to generate each iteration to go infinite. Priest of the Forgotten Gods provides you the , but you would need three copies of Pitiless Plunder to make up the remainder of the cost.
For Cacophodon to work, you would first need to give it indestructible. Your options would be as follows: Adamant Will , Angelic Guardian (though this might be risky since you would have to attack), Chance for Glory (which gives you an extra turn so its three mana casting cost does not detract from your play significantly), Dauntless Bodyguard , Join Shields , Make a Stand , Resolute Watchdog , Sheltering Light , Song of Freyalise , and Vivien Reid .
You would also need some form of damage outlet that triggers on entering the battlefield or creatures dying. Currently, only Judith, the Scourge Diva works in standard.
You could also use a card like Open the Graves or Desecrated Tomb to generate creatures, which you could sacrifice to Makeshift Munitions , but you will need a copy of Pitiless Plunder to make this work.
3 weeks ago
Drop the guildgates and three mountains and a forest and put in 4 Unclaimed Territory . You can choose Goblin or Warrior, depending on what you need to cast first. Use those two extra land slots you're cutting for Vivien Reid or Domri, Chaos Bringer . I'd cut the rhythms for Light Up the Stage , you lack refueling with this deck outside of the guardians.
Good luck at your FNM!
Vivien Reid occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
All decks: 0.47%