Legendary Planeswalker — Vivien
+1: Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a creature or land card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
-3: Destroy target artifact, enchantment, or creature with flying.
-8: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have vigilance, trample, and indestructible."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Vivien Reid Discussion
21 hours ago
Really strong for a first deck. You have an excellent foundation to build around. My chief criticism is that you're split between two different subthemes: counters and artifacts (Stompy being the primary theme). You'll find more consistent success if you commit one way or the other.
You seem closer to the counters subtheme and that also better fits better with the simic colors for Hadana's Climb Flip. That card is fantastic. I would add two more Jadelights if you go that route. I would also look at the new Skyrider Patrol, which will help you flip Climb and get through damage with the flying. Untamed Kavu is another great option that'll let you instantly transform your climb. Vivien Reid is your best planeswalker option if you go this route.
Tezzeret is amazing but only if you're focused on artifacts, which I don't think you are. Karn is nice for the card draw, so I think he makes more sense in the deck.
1 day ago
Hey, when playing Llanowar Elves you want more than nine sources of green from lands that can ETB untapped turn one. You also don't want the same number of basic Mountains as Forests. Consistently you want to have a Forest more than a Mountain in your opening hand. Consider 9x Forests and 5x Mountains?
Consider moving Vine Mare to the sideboard replacing it with Jadelight Ranger? The tandem of explore Branchwalker and Jadelight is great with green, they help to find red sources of mana. They give green selection and card advantage in the early game.
I'm part of the 4x main deck Blossoming Defense crowd. I think the card is a huge reason to play green. It's very good vs red especially protecting against Chainwhirler's ETB or combat or Earthshaker/Crasher/Glorybringer's abilities. It's even better now because of Thorn Lieutenant. You're playing Hungering Hydra Defense is great to protect it; easier to get counters from damage on it when it's pumped and protected. Defense can also be a blowout for one mana against four mana Vraska's Contempt. Consider 4x Defense and 4x Abrade? Moving Spray to the sideboard?
Speaking of sideboard I don't see one. A big part of getting better at deck building is utilizing the sideboard. If you're playing in a specific meta at FNM then the sideboard will be much different than if you're planning it for an overall Standard meta. In my opinion the most important cards to plan for with the sideboard for an overall Standard meta are: Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip, Scrapheap Scrounger, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, The Scarab God, Seal Away and Lyra Dawnbringer. 4x Abrade main deck helps a lot against a lot of threats in Standard like Chainwhirler, Siphoner, Grace/Malice, God-Pharaoh's Gift, Heart of Kiran, etc. 4x Defense main deck helps against all the two for one removal that's in Standard Glorybringer, Chandra and Teferi.
Good sideboard card options to consider (in no order):
- Magma Spray
- Chandra's Defeat
- Deathgorge Scavenger
- Reclamation Sage
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Vivien Reid
- Vine Mare
Good luck with your deck.
4 days ago
Thank you everyone for your upvotes and feedback. I've made some changes from recommendations, and some from wanting to try something unconventional.
With Scapeshift and running 18 lands, I can see it as filtering my own lands out fairly quickly and just increasing the chance of having gas without worrying about being mana flooded.
4 days ago
Vivien Reid is far better than Vivien of the Arkbow. I would recommend adding more copies of Vivien Reid and taking out the Arkbow. As for sideboard, I would recommend Scrapheap Scrounger due to its ease to cast and great ability to be a recur-able threat against control. Also, I would suggest to take out a couple of Swamps for Ifnir Deadlands. Also, you have a ton of black sources for few Black actual cards.
4 days ago
If you want to see more consistency, I would suggest the following changes:
1) Implement a sideboard
2) Move Reclamation Sage to the side board, it is ok to have a single one main, but it is very underwhelming when it has no targets.
3) I think Nissa, Vital Force is better in the sideboard and best brought in against control.
4) Vivien Reid is a great mainboard card and up her to at least 2 of.
5) Adventurous Impulse should be a 4 of main deck because it is never a bad top deck and is very good early game at finding your next land or finding your next creature. It smooths out the curve.
6) Greenwheel Liberator is very underwhelming in this particular build because it is harder for you to trigger Revolt yourself. Whereas Narnam Renegade is very good because of the keyword "Deathtouch" and is only 1 CMC.
7) I think Song of Freyalise is underwhelming because it takes a while for it to "Go Off" and you really aren't ramping to anything that costs that much. Maybe move it down to a 1 or 2 of.
8) I like Lifecrafter's Bestiary but move it to the sideboard and side in against midrange and control. You want to be fast and hit the ground and go very wide.
9) Your listed "Maybeboard" has some good cards, in particular, the one that stands out as the best option is Heroic Intervention and it should be in your deck, somewhere in the 75. At least a 1 or 2 of in the sideboard. Shapers' Sanctuary is a great card for this type of build, if you can fit some number after all is said in done, I would say 1 or 2 of would be best fit for it somewhere in the 75.
10) I also would like to see some number of Blossoming Defense in the deck. It does not have to be a 4 of. But maybe a 2 of somewhere in the 75. Just don't know if I like it in the maindeck or not.
That's what I got for now. Best of luck.
5 days ago
Awesome deck! I am not sure if your idea of being faster than Red rush is all that easy to do. however, if that is your goal I suggest taking out Vivien Reid because it does not really help with that plan. You could put in Shaper's Sanctuary because you don't have that many ways of getting cards. Alternatively, you could play Blossoming Defense but I personally am a fan of Shaper's Sanctuary.
1 week ago
Vivien, Spirit Shaman
Legendary Planeswalker - Vivien
+1 Search your library for a land and reveal it. Put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.
-3 Untap up to three lands you control.
-8 Create five 3/3 green Wolf Spirit creature tokens with Haste and are unblockable.
I went against a five-color clusterfuck, Sultai control, Jund Midrange, and Temur control / burn. But I just had too many creatures for them all to handle.
So, make any card you want in Naya. Feels very potent in the meta now, based on my experience.