Glen Elendra Archmage
Creature — Faerie Wizard
, Sacrifice Glen Elendra Archmage: Counter target noncreature spell.
Persist (When this creature is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Rare|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Sage of Fables
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Sage of Fables + Viscera Seer
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Phyrexian Altar + Spark Double
- Deafening Silence + Glen Elendra Archmage + Solemnity
- Glen Elendra Archmage + Kenrith, the Returned King
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Glen Elendra Archmage Discussion
2 days ago
- For sure adding Daring Apprentice to try, though may be too slow without haste.
- Want to try Glen Elendra Archmage (though she was way cheaper when I last looked).
- Plaguecrafter will be added, even if just to replace Fleshbag Marauder / Merciless Executioner.
- Vanishing looks like a fantastic protection for Muldrotha, since I only need her on board on my turn.
- Mindbender Spores just looks like a hilariously fun and lesser known old card, that just looks like a great deterrent to attacking.
- Kaya's Ghostform is strictly better than Thrull Retainer, the buff doesn't matter much.
- Remove Sol Ring for Arcane Signet, there are so many 2 colour pips I need the coloured mana.
- For this reason, I also want to put in Lotus Field. Sacking 2 lands may hurt early game, but can be amazing late game.
- Debating Journey to Eternity Flip, the curve for the deck is low but getting an extra creature out of the graveyard at instant speed is pretty great even if costs 5 CMC to activate.
- Glacial Chasm, it just, makes me happy and could be clutch in a pinch. The cumulative upkeep is no big deal since you can let it die, so having it in your graveyard could be an awesome safety net with the limited land destruction in the format. I think sacking a land and using your land drop for it would be terrible early to mid game, unless Azusa, Lost but Seeking is out.
5 days ago
OdricAllyofZendikar thanks for the input! Having a zero cost artifact that I can recur from the graveyard works out so well here. I also love Glen Elendra Archmage thought! I'd seen her before but completely forgot about her until here. With the removal and enchantments I have already I may not look at those other two, but greatly appreciate the feedback
6 days ago
1 month ago
For future reference, you can link a card's image by surrounding the card's name with double brackets ("[").
To your question though, when Glen Elendra Archmage dies, it will sort of toggle between having a -1/-1 and a +1/+1 counter.
Let's say your Archmage has no counters, and you sacrifice her for her ability. Both the Persist and Undying abilities will trigger. You pick which one resolves first and the other will still resolve, but it won't do anything. Let's say you resolved the Persist ability. The Archmage will come back with a -1/-1 counter, so you activate her again. This time, only the Undying ability will trigger, so the Archmage comes back with a +1/+1 counter. This can repeat until something kills Mikaeus or the like.
Hope this helps!!
1 month ago
Baral, Chief of Compliance, Glen Elendra Archmage, Hall of Heliod's Generosity, Thornbite Staff, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Grand Abolisher, Aven Mindcensor, Narset, Parter of Veils and Ashiok, Dream Render are some cards that immediately comes to mind. I would build this deck with the purpose to suffocate my opponents entierly. Ah and also Deafening Silence and Decree of Silence with Solemnity.
Just be aware, your playgroup might hate you after game one tho...
1 month ago
Since the deck is aggro-tempo, I think you can probably drop the Cryptic Commands, as they are too slow and worse than Remand here. I assume you're using Unsummon instead of Vapor Snag because you can bounce your own creatures?
I think you could fit in a singleton of Spell Snare in there, just because it's really satisfying when it works. Also, have you tried testing with 4x Aether Vial? Maybe 1x Faerie Conclave? Other potential faeries are Sower of Temptation, Faerie Impostor, Glen Elendra Archmage (a bit slow but a singleton can do some work). Maybe Chart a Course for more draw or Favorable Winds to pump your creatures. Just throwing out ideas. Looks good! Although Vendilion Clique is dope im serious
2 months ago
2 months ago
Fun budget deck. Sage of Fables will pump our wizards and give us more card draw. It has subtle but perfect synergy with our theme. Glen Elendra Archmage will protect our board when we have no counters in hand. She is pricey for the budget but worth it. She is also a great flying blocker, especially with the blink/flicker effects you already have. One that note, we should run Peregrine Drake and Blue Sun's Zenith to draw the library whilst having infinite mana. In conjunction with Thassa's Oracle we win the game. Alternatively, in conjunction with a few cantrips such as Brainstorm we deck our opponents. The cantrip route is ideal in lieu of Sensei's Divining Top and if we run Talrand, The Sky Summoner we produce flying drakes as well. Combat-oriented card draw, such as Reconnaissance Mission will help us find our win con. Nice work.