Creature — Human Druid
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
When Citanul Woodreaders enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, draw two cards.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Citanul Woodreaders occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Citanul Woodreaders Discussion
4 months ago
Sorted by CMC
Accomplished Automaton is about 2/3 of the way down
This is gorgeous.
Having played decks like this before I'd like to suggest:
- Citanul Woodreaders
- Bonder's Ornament
- Magnifying Glass
- Lead the Stampede definitely
- Winding Way probably
- Track Down maybe
- Woodcutter's Grit depending on how much your meta likes removal
Also maybe cut back on some of the fogs, I can't imagine folks profitably attacking into this. XD
1 year ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 year ago
The benefit that both of them have compared to Worldheart Phoenix is that you can just dump a bunch of ramp into the list and you have a built in mana sink win condition in your commander.
Any I'm pretty sure that my wife's Dragonsoul Knight list was played against a bunch of casual EDH lists and stomped on them (basically the same situation you're in).
As for good cards - I got a lot of value out of kicker cards. They do something by themselves but you can also get more value late game. Citanul Woodreaders and Dismantling Blow are both decent sources of card draw. You also have Blink of an Eye and Into the Roil for pseudo removal/draw. Agonizing Demise is decent creature removal.
1 year ago
I also run a Hallar deck, and I'm liking yours a lot. You have a lot of stuff that I don't.
Here are some suggestions that I've found useful:
- Forge of Heroes
- New Horizons
- Primeval Bounty
- Blessings of Nature
- Hunger of the Howlpack
- Immaculate Magistrate
- Emblazoned Golem
In general, I've found that a good way to play Hallar is to focus on providing a lot of +1/+1 counters and then using a few cheap kicker spells to trigger Hallar. I tend to avoid most kickers that are expensive or that require multiple colored mana whenever possible. I also like to use something like Reclaim to get back a cheap kicker so I can potentially trigger Hallar twice in one turn.
I might recommend cutting out some of the more expensive cards, like:
Another fun way to play Hallar if you include a lot of cards that put +1/+1 counters on creatures is to include cards like:
1 year ago
There is not much in your colors for card draw, I don't know if you need it. Here are a couple good options for it though Yavimaya Elder , Nantuko Shaman , Explore , Citanul Woodreaders , and Bequeathal . Explore looks the best to me, but yavimaya elder seems pretty good too.
2 years ago
it looks pretty voltron, because of that i would run Ranger's Guile another save. maybe Harrow and Cultivate because the deck is already really mana intensive with kickers plus you always want to be able replay your general. Rabid Bite would be really nice there. i love that you have a few ping creatures as well to help finish the game did you choose the ones you did because they ping each opponent? i would suggest Spikeshot Goblin for the versatility, specially because it synergies so well with your deck already.
other then that i think Podkomorkas cut suggestions are spot on. and i got really excited to see Citanul Woodreaders fit so perfectly into your deck. that cards amazing!
hope that helps! i would love to know how hes playing!
2 years ago
A few suggestions:
Shape of the Wiitigo is quite expensive for what it does
Primeval Bounty expensive card for what it does
Primal Vigorchances of you casting this, then passing and letting your opponents use it first are high, imo.
Death's Presence you don't have that many creature to benefit from this.
Ashling the Pilgrim seems like a weak board wipe. Might be okay, though, but expensive.
Jugan, the Rising Star is just kinda bad, and you can do better for 6 aman
Rage Forger1 damage across 2-3 creatures won't make a big difference, even if it's across a few turns.
Soul's Might I don't think this is good.
Verduran Emissary Scrounging Bandar Keldon Overseer Fungal Behemoth Citanul Woodreaders Burst Lightning seem okay, but work nicely with what you're trying to do. Maximising on kicker is the way to go, imo.
Rishkar's Expertise goes in almost every green deck. It's crazy good, especially with a giant commander.
2 years ago
Actually, I would say you would do well to include Shamanic Revelation, Citanul Woodreaders, Inspiring Call, and/or Armorcraft Judge. The first can bring your life back up if you are low, the second fits the main theme of the deck and the last two round out the subtheme. Also, Kalonian Hydra and Vigor are fun creatures. The first makes your next Hallar trigger ridiculous and the latter makes any form of damage based interactions unpleasant for the opponent. Blasphemous Act anyone?