Servant of the Scale
Creature — Human Soldier
Servant of the Scale enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
When Servant of the Scale dies, put X +1/+1 counters on target creature you control, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Servant of the Scale.
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
- Servant of the Scale and Hardened Scales interaction
- Two Avatar of the Resolutes/Reverent Hunters enter from Collected Company?
- Servant of the Scale has ten +1/+1 counters on it. Hypnotic Siren takes control of Servant of the Scale. When Servant of the Scale dies, who gets the counters?
- Winding Constrictor + Hardened Scales Interaction
- Would Rite of Passage cause Servant of the Scale to distribute more +1/+1 counters?
Servant of the Scale Discussion
1 month ago
1 month ago
GollumWasFramed, Thanks for the up vote and the card ideas. Servant of the Scale sounds great. I haven't been working on fine tuning this deck yet, as I'm still trying to get my Pioneering Bant Blink deck ready for FNM. This will be the next deck I tune out.
Your username is awesome.
2 months ago
4 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
4 months ago
@TallKanz211 - if you can find an EDH tournament with a cash prize, and then you enter and win multiple times...sure :)
@buttmaster420 (a classy username if there ever were one) - Hexdrinker , interesting. When I first read your comment I thought "that's dumb; he benefits from level counters, not +1/+1 counters!"... but then I thought about a hexproof unblockable creature buffed up by Ezuri, and a devilish grin crept across my face! I think I'll take out Servant of the Scale for it. Servant seems really good in a vacuum, but he really hasn't played as well as I had hoped (I usually never put counters on him, as I have better targets). Thanks for the suggestion! :D
5 months ago
It would die before it gets the counter.
Rite of Passage triggers when Servant of the Scale is dealt lethal damage, but then right before that trigger is put onto the stack the game checks to see if any state-based actions (SBAs) need to be handled. Destroying a creature that's been dealt lethal damage is one of the game's SBAs, so the Servant will die before the Rite can give it another counter.
5 months ago
As the title says, would Rite of Passage cause Servant of the Scale to distribute more +1/+1 counters when it dies from combat damage? In other words, if Servant of the Scale received lethal damage would it get extra +1/+1 counters first and then die or would it die and be removed from the battlefield before Rite of Passage triggers?