Hour of Devastation
All creatures lose indestructible until end of turn. Hour of Devastation deals 5 damage to each creature and each non-Bolas planeswalker.
|Want (2)||MUNdu-Vehicles , Mussahumano|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Hour of Devastation occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Hour of Devastation Discussion
6 days ago
1 week ago
love the deck. I'm still getting used to this format, what do you think about any of these Ravaging Blaze or Fall of the Titans / Mindswipe / Callous Dismissal / Flame Sweep / Hour of Devastation / Into the Story / Crush of Tentacles / Wavebreak Hippocamp / The Magic Mirror ?
1 week ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
3 weeks ago
I guess you have already seen the new boros commander Haktos the Unscarred ? I'm currently thinking about building him, and I'd love to hear your opinion about him.
My thoughts for now are the following:
Adding Tajic, Legion's Edge , The Wanderer and Loyal Unicorn and some damage based sweepers such as Hour of Devastation seems a possible route to go because this way, not only Achilles himself, but your other creatures are as well protected grom your own boardwipes. Possible ways to pump him are Hero's Blade and Obsidian Battle-Axe because their etb-triggers don't target. To have them when he enters the battlefield, Steelshaper's Gift and Open the Armory seem useful. Another thing I am considering are "global" protection spells as they don't target and thus ignore his protection.
I'm not sure if the deck should include more equipment or enchantment, but if, then these natirally would have to spread evenly among cmc 2, 3 and 4.
I'll try to upload a first draft of a list later. If you'd like to see it, I'd be happy to link you there.
Until then: Best regards
4 weeks ago
Hey there! I know this deck is kinda old since ixalan rotated out of standard, but I can help you with this R/U mill vision you have. So first of all if your boyfriend is playing a deck around Approach of the Second Sun something you wanna have around are counterspells. Now we have counterspells that mill in Thought Collapse and Didn't Say Please . Splashing red you also have Ionize . Following that, R/U decks usually have good mechanics to draw cards, which is an excellent method to mill down an opponent with Sphinx's Tutelage , which should be accompanied with several card draw engines. Cards like Radical Idea , Chemister's Insight and even cycling cards of your own like Censor or Hieroglyphic Illumination could work. Mill usually struggles with board pressence, so cards like Sweltering Suns , Hour of Devastation work okay as boardwipes. If you want to add some pressence of your own cards like Electrostatic Field , Crackling Drake , Murmuring Mystic or Guttersnipe can lend you a hand as either blockers or as a way to put pressure on the opponent.
Regarding sideboard, Mill struggles A LOT against aggro, so early-game blockers, boardwipes and counterspells to disrupt tempo are your best ally.
If you have other questions feel free to contact me, I play a lot of mill and everyone hates me for it, but I enjoy it.
2 months ago
the__odysseus Thanks for the ideas! Definity trying out Fabled Passage when the meta slows down. Right no you need to be react early and often since lots of people are playing aggressive decks or decks where you need to have mana open early e.g Mono-Red and Felidar combo. When the meta becomes slower I could definitely see running some fabled passage. I completely forgot about Wandering Fumarole probably going to add a few. Don't know what to cut, maybe the Spirebluff Canal ?
I haven't had a problem with an overtaxed graveyard or Oko. Dig Through Time can get the deck out of tight spots as it can find specific cards were raw card advantage doesn't really work as well. I haven't really had a clash with Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip either since dig is mostly being resolved late anyways after he has flipped. I haven't really come to a spot were Oko, Thief of Crowns also hasn't been a problem. 6 planeswalker kill spells in the 75 with Bedevil and Vraska's Contempt + Thoughtseize + late game Drown in the Loch can counter it. When I'm playing against an oko deck I'm significantly mulfore worried about Wicked Wolf than Oko 90% of the time.
I decide not to play Anger of the Gods since it was too much on the mana. Double red by turn 3 is really hard since red is only really a splash for Kolaghan's Command , Bedevil and Fiery Impulse . All of which need only one symbol and I only have 10 red in the mana base right now and it has significantly better than I thought it was going to be. I'm only playing the Hour of Devastation in its good against Eldrazi and late-game double red isn't so bad. If dredge gets a new card printed or Rally decks come back could probably add it.
I mainly just added Goblin Rabblemaster to kill Mono-Green Devo and Cat quickly but since they go banned or significantly nerfed at this point I could see adding Bolas or Liliana, Chandra seems a bit too expensive mana wise against control as a grind piece. Will probably test out those walkers with stuff like Search for Azcanta Flip
5 months ago
I think these could be some good cuts
Wakening Sun's Avatar because it's crazy expensive and I think you would do better with a damage board wipe. Plus it won't trigger if you cast it with your general. Arcbond , Hour of Devastation , and Savage Twister were some that I found that could fit well in this deck.
Raging Regisaur because it looked pretty weak compared to some of your other dinos. I feel like if I was playing this deck and I drew this or had the option to cast it from the deck it would be lackluster, might even prefer to draw a land.
Dinosaur Stampede because you've already got scary Dino's and it looks like you could really use more land.
And I would also pull Ashnod's Altar and Goblin Bombardment because I wouldn't really want to sacrifice any dino's. I would take both out and add in land, or maybe some other artifact ramp, idk what though.
That would put your land count at 37 which is a waaaay better draw rate for lands. All that being said this deck looks cool as shit. I like the cards you have in here for untapping your general to reuse his ability +1.
7 months ago
"One-card wincons" to consider: Insurrection , Expropriate , Painful Quandary , Rise of the Dark Realms , Revel in Riches , Cut / Ribbons . Perhaps Clone Legion , Rite of Replication , Mogis, God of Slaughter , Hour of Promise , Blatant Thievery , Grave Betrayal , or Mind's Dilation .
One thing to think about is getting Nicol Bolas flipped and maybe joined by the other planeswalkers and casting Obliterate , Jokulhaups , Devastation , or Decree of Annihilation . Almost guaranteed ultimates. Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God would be the best--proxy for now and include in first build?
Boardwipes: Toxic Deluge , Black Sun's Zenith , Hour of Devastation , Decree of Pain , Curse of the Swine , In Garruk's Wake , Deadly Tempest , Evacuation , Nevinyrral's Disk , Last One Standing , Perilous Vault , Oblivion Stone , Kindred Dominance , Necromantic Selection , Subterranean Tremors
Removal: Capsize , Bedevil , Hero's Downfall , Chaos Warp , Kolaghan's Command , Reality Shift , Pongify , Rapid Hybridization , Vraska's Contempt , Rakdos Charm , Price of Fame , In Bolas's Clutches , Plaguecrafter , Merciless Executioner , Fleshbag Marauder , Unstable Obelisk , Vandalblast , By Force , Shatterstorm , Hostage Taker , Yawgmoth's Vile Offering , Settle the Score , Dark Impostor , Hour of Glory , Sever the Bloodline , Silence the Believers , Spread the Sickness , Slave of Bolas , Electrodominance
Draw: (I would add Erebos once you're home) Patient Rebuilding , Phyrexian Arena , Greed , Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, Notion Thief , Windfall , Mystical Tutor , Blue Sun's Zenith , Pull from Tomorrow , Stroke of Genius , Braingeyser , Mind Spring , Expansion / Explosion , Invoke the Firemind , Deliver Unto Evil , Augur of Bolas , Painful Truths , Fevered Visions , Search for Azcanta Flip, Fact or Fiction , Dig Through Time , Treasure Cruise , Tidings , Thassa, God of the Sea , Day's Undoing , Reforge the Soul , Standstill , Deep Analysis , Necrologia , Steady Progress , Tezzeret's Gambit , Oath of Jace
Random utility: Ophiomancer , Metallurgic Summonings , As Fortold, Pendrell Mists , No Mercy , Stranglehold , Fated Return , Dark Intimations , Spellseeker , Sire Of Insanity , Thief of Sanity , Spark Double , Primal Amulet Flip, Dragon's Hoard , Mystic Retrieval , Shreds of Sanity , Spelltwine , Ashiok, Dream Render , Torpor Orb , Baleful Strix , Darksteel Myr , Solemn Simulacrum , Wayfarer's Bauble , Vedalken Orrery , Saheeli, Sublime Artificer , Will Kenrith , Mana Geyser , Gem of Becoming , Thran Dynamo , Narset, Parter of Veils , Keranos, God of Storms , Thrilling Encore , Star Compass , Coldsteel Heart , Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs , Ensnaring Bridge , Crawlspace , Expedition Map , Burnished Hart , Torment of Scarabs , Cruel Reality , Mnemonic Betrayal , Yawgmoth's Will , Bloodchief Ascension , Nightscape Familiar , Gonti, Lord of Luxury , Thaumatic Compass Flip, Dreadhorde Invasion , Fraying Omnipotence , Thrummingbird , Viral Drake , Past in Flames , Mizzix's Mastery , Omniscience , Tainted AEther , Aid the Fallen , Deepglow Skate , Flux Channeler , Rings of Brighthearth , Silent Arbiter , Meekstone , Mudslide , Astral Cornucopia , Everflowing Chalice , Lethal Vapors , Sunbird's Invocation , Stolen Strategy , Maze of Ith , Spreading Plague , Merchant Scroll , Polluted Bonds , Black Market , Grave Upheaval , Memory Plunder , Pain Magnification
Beaters: Dragonlord Silumgar , The Scorpion God , The Locust God , The Scarab God , God-Eternal Kefnet , God-Eternal Bontu , Darksteel Colossus , Colossus of Akros , Visara the Dreadful , Tsabo Tavoc , Avatar of Woe , Balefire Dragon , Nicol Bolas , Hellkite Tyrant , Bladewing the Risen , Grave Titan , Inferno Titan , Steel Hellkite , Vampire Nighthawk , Torrential Gearhulk , Noxious Gearhulk , Combustible Gearhulk , Dominus of Fealty , Roil Elemental , Tidespout Tyrant , Kokusho, the Evening Star , Keiga, the Tide Star , Ryusei, the Falling Star , Wrexial, the Risen Deep , Etali, Primal Storm , Nezahal, Primal Tide , Tetzimoc, Primal Death , Dread , The Haunt of Hightower , Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind , Razaketh, the Foulblooded , Enigma Drake , Crackling Drake , Archfiend of Depravity , Sheoldred, Whispering One , Thing in the Ice Flip, Niv-Mizzet, Parun , Sepulchral Primordial , Molten Primordial , Diluvian Primordial , Ob Nixilis, Unshackled , Sire of Stagnation , Utvara Hellkite