Kicker (2) (You may pay an additional (2) as you play this spell.)
Canopy Surge deals 1 damage to each creature with flying and each player. If the kicker cost was paid, Canopy Surge deals 4 damage to each creature with flying and each player instead.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Canopy Surge occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Canopy Surge Discussion
8 months ago
Legendary Planeswalker - Nissa
Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have trample.
+2: Destroy target noncreature permanent. Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.
-1: Nissa, Incensed deals 3 damage either to each creature with flying or each creature without flying. Nissa, Incensed deals 3 damage to each player.
-10: Gain control of all lands until end of turn. Lands you control become 5/5 elemental creatures with trample and haste until end of turn.
+2: Based on Green's ability to targeted destroy everything but lands and creatures and red's ability to destroy target land.
10 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
2 years ago
I have really enjoyed seeing you play your deck on MTGMuddstah. Have you considered Comet Storm, Canopy Surge, and Molten Disaster? It seems that Hallar is really good at nuking all opponents, so effects like these three can hit all of your opponents while also triggering Hallar, plus they can usually survive the Disaster, too.
Goblin Ruinblaster, Joraga Warcaller, Overload, and Verduran Emissary are all strong kicker cards that seem worth testing as well. I love the strategy of focusing on +1/+1 counters and just using the good kicker spells, but maybe you could swap out some of the more situational cards, like Unstable Footing and Sporeback Troll?
Great deck, love the strat.
4 years ago
A Bant deck is another option. A flicker or bounce theme with Roon of the Hidden Realm can rack up card advantage without requiring you to draw additional cards. G/W is great for token generation to rack up your permanent count and give you a bunch of creatures to attack with. Non-combat damage can be dealt with cards like Psionic Blast, blue poke creatures like Prodigal Sorcerer, Cloudthresher, Canopy Surge, and maybe even some damage redirection spells depending on how they are worded. Blue lets you counter spells and bounce indestructible creatures. Swords to Plowshares lets you exile indestructible creatures. White and green can help you gain life. Spike Weaver is great when you can reset it with Roon and it can let you save an opponent if you have a way to flash it in as a surprise. You can also use cards like Deathless Angel to give an opponent's creature indestructible and then bounce that creature with Roon for a point (assuming I'm reading the wording for the achievement correctly).