Quest for Pure Flame
Whenever a source you control deals damage to an opponent, you may put a quest counter on Quest for Pure Flame.
Remove four quest counters from Quest for Pure Flame and sacrifice it: If any source you control would deal damage to a creature or player this turn, it deals double that damage to that creature or player instead.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Quest for Pure Flame occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Quest for Pure Flame Discussion
2 months ago
There are a couple of more permanent Damige Doublers that I'd like a bit better than Quest for Pure Flame like Furnace of Rath and Gratuitous Violence. Also, if you want to be mean to people, I'm pretty sure you should try Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. I knwo he can hit you as well, but chances are people are gonna be more concerned with him. You can also try Zhur-Taa Druid because he fits in the theme and is ramp.
Try an mitigate some heavy loss of life with Loxodon Warhammer and Shadowspear and maybe include a tad bit more recursion. I'd also try running Wildfire just to mess with people, but you might need some help recovering from that.
2 months ago
I like Megrim more than Liliana's Caress because it deals damage, not loss of life. There are more interactions with damage than life loss; my sister has a black/red/blue discard deck that uses Kederekt Parasite to put counters on a Quest for Pure Flame she would sacrifice in response to Megrim triggers after a Wistful Thinking to hit for 20 damage all at once.
So, what does the rest of the deck look like? That might help the answers.
2 months ago
Sweet deck love the idea of keep or kill! Very impressed with the budget too! Jalira, Master Polymorphist seems like too much value for you to pass up and within budget I think. Primal Growth also seems like a good fit. Quest for Pure Flame although not a perfect fit double and sometimes quad dammage is always fun espescialy when your hitting your opponent with their creature who is twice as strong when on your side... seems like a dramatic betrayal. Temur Ascendancy also feels like a must have for this one! Life's Legacy or Momentous Fall also seem like good includes instead of the brainstorm or Temur Runemark .
I'm sure you can get a copy of Mimic Vat for 50 cents and it would be adding insult to injury having your opponents creature come back turn after turn to beat them up.
2 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
4 months ago
Potential Cuts Show
Quest for Pure Flame One double damage trigger is nice but I feel would take too long. Plus, it deals double damage from one source you control, it doesn't look nice you have one source that does a particularly large amount of damage that would be benefited by this. I'm slow and also half awake myself so please correct me if I am incorrect.
Enchanter's Bane - Lots of enchantments in my meta are lifegain based. Even if they weren't, most of the time the opponent would rather take the 2-3 damage rather than lose the enchantment. I feel this isn't impactful enough. I would rather you add an Oblivion Stone , Lux Cannon or even Blast Zone .
If you tend to avoid infinite combos, why not take out the Godo/Helm combo and use those slots for more interaction or ramp?
Cards to consider.... Show
Voltaic Key untaps...
Tome of Legends
Idol of Oblivion
ring of 3/planar
Hedron Archive might be slow, but it gets you ramp and card draw. Not 100% sold on it for your deck but it's worth a mention.
Confusion in the Ranks is very powerful! I know you are trying to avoid chaos cards, so am I. But this reads, steal target enchantment and creature. Then steal more creatures. Really funny with dockside extortionist as well or your token generators (remember, mrys can be swapped for artifacts or creatures)
Volcanic Offering Gives you so much value and politics in 1 card. Instant speed is nice. I know holding up 5 mana might be rough, but I've never been unhappy to see it except after a boardwipe. Even then, it's nice to have.
Read above you weren't into warstorm surge sadly, but how about Sunbird's Invocation ? SO much value. I understand casting a 6 drop with no immediate value might not be what your deck wants, but I thought I should mention it.
Stranglehold is a powerhouse. Stops fetches, tutoring, nonartifact ramp. Puts everyone else on the same playing field as red.
4 months ago
I definitely like a lot of those suggestions. Ronin Cliffrider , Gratuitous Violence , and Quest for Pure Flame are some that stand out. Siege-Gang Commander is already in the deck. Sulfuric Vortex will probably go back in there to help combat life gain decks. The deck used to be a bunch of Tims and passive burn pieces, but I've moved away from that towards a more combat oriented deck, so cards like Manabarbs and Immolation Shaman aren't the sort of things I'm looking for.
4 months ago
You might like these: Ronin Cliffrider , Angrath's Marauders , Gratuitous Violence , Knollspine Dragon , Burning Earth , Manabarbs , Grenzo's Ruffians , Insult , Spellshock , Battle Strain , Embermaw Hellion , Prophetic Flamespeaker , Berserkers' Onslaught , Sulfuric Vortex , Impact Tremors , Quest for Pure Flame
4 months ago
You might like these: Ronin Cliffrider , Gratuitous Violence , Knollspine Dragon , Burning Earth , Manabarbs , Grenzo's Ruffians , Quest for Pure Flame , Spellshock , Battle Strain , Prophetic Flamespeaker , Berserkers' Onslaught , Immolation Shaman , Sulfuric Vortex , Siege-Gang Commander , Elemental Mastery