|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Horror
When Mindslicer is put into a graveyard from play, each player discards his or her hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||rebelteddybear , Supremespeed , miracle , mymanpotsandpans , MattN7498 , sonnet666 , cklise|
1 week ago
Homelessguy Thanks for the suggestion. However the deck doesn't have many large creatures to take advantage of the effect of Cream of the Crop, that being said Meren of Clan Nel Toth isn't trying to necessarily be used for reanimation either, but more of for a value engine and to lock the board with either Contamination or Mindslicer loops.
1 week ago
Alright, so I am giving you feedback based on the cards I know you have in paper, your budget, and your expressed desire to move away from aggro and into a more spell-based deck. The best version of your build right now is B/G Midrange, but since you don't have $1500 we'll have to make some adjustments.
Midrange runs more lands and less creatures than you have. 2 Hissing Quagmire is good, I know you have those so you can slot those right away. You won't be able to afford Verdant Catacombs so you could run Evolving Wilds instead like you are but I'd stick with two, you don't want too many lands that come in tapped. Look into running 4x Blooming Marsh and 2x Overgrown Tomb along with 4x Field of Ruin. Everything else can be a basic land, you'll want to run 2 or 3 more Swamps than Forests though and want 22-23 lands. Also, for budget 4x Llanowar Wastes and 2x Temple of Malady are ok, much better than running a bunch of basics. Most competitive decks run somewhere between 6-8 basics. My advice though is you don't want more than 4 lands in your deck coming in tapped, and 2 of those slots are already taken by Hissing Quagmire.
I know you have a lot of Doomblade, that's fine but I wouldn't run more than two and you should look into maxing out your playset of Fatal Push along with 2-3 Abrupt Decay and 2-3 Dismember. You can run 4x Rancor in Aggro but in midrange you only want 2x max. 3x Vampire Nighthawk is fine, other than that look into Tireless Tracker, Scavenging Ooze, Eternal Witness, and Mindslicer. Deadly Recluse is ok, the rest of your creatures don't really fit in midrange but if you want to go for a more aggro build with more Rancor and more creatures Swordwise Centaur and Kalonian Tusker are pretty good. You gotta decide if you want midrange or aggro though and stick with it. I will say that building aggro on a budget is easier. If you do decide to go the aggro route, you're running a lot of subpar enchantments and bulk ups. Look into Vines of Vastwood, its super cheap and amazing in any Green aggro build.
Also, 4x Duress is good but look into Inquisition of Kozilek as well. You could even run a combo of the two, like 2x Duress and 4x Inquisition of Kozilek or something. For now put in your full playset of Duress.
3 weeks ago
Hey, i'd like to give you my opinion on some of the (not overpowered) cards you might be missing and some that i think underperform in this deck after some time playing with Meren.
- Golgari Charm: This card always disappoints me. Every effect on this card is not very appealing for Meren, the only good board state i see myself playing this is if my opponent has a couple mana dorks and for some reason i have nothing on board. If you are worried about infinite combos that involve some enchantment i'd play Krosan Grip or Viridian Zealot considering you already have Acidic Slime and Reclamation Sage.
- Buried Alive: This card is a must. You can throw some mana dorks, sack outlets or the all-star Spore Frog to your graveyard on early game to start the engine or find some finishers on late game.
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Play this for control matchups to support the Mindslicer effect, very easy to flip and can reanimate your low CMC creatures for some great value.
- Living Death: Weird card, i can't think of an appropiate board state where i'd like to play this. If your engine is working you usually have more creatures on the battle field rather than your graveyard. If the engine is not working you probably have an empty graveyard or not much value there anyway. Dont think of Meren as a dredge deck that will fill your graveyard with value in a couple turns, most games the value is in your hand or rotating between your battlefield and graveyard.
- Dusk Legion Zealot + Elvish Visionary (The card advantage engine): I've been impressed by the performance of "one shot" draw spells like Altar's Reap,Night's Whisper or Sign in Blood on my decks as 2-mana draw two, with Altar's Reap beign an awesome top deck in mid to late game. Of course i play this with repeatable card draw like Phyrexian Arena or Sylvan Library
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan + Wrath: I've won some matches with this combo and Yahenni is a great sack outlet as its very hard to deal with
- A bit Enchantment heavy: ive found Evolutionary Leap to be somewhat disappointing. Try All Is Dust + From Beyond instead of Awakening Zone for some ramp/colorless emergency removal as backup against obnoxious cards such as Iona, Shield of Emeria. Duplicant works aswell.
- No tutors?: Cruel Tutor, Worldly Tutor or even Diabolic Tutor are fair cards that will help you find answers more efficiently than pure card advantage
- Shady Finishers: Gray Merchant of Asphodel loves Grave Titan or Razaketh, the Foulblooded. Even Avenger of Zendikar with all the basic land fetching you can do would work better than Regal Behemoth or Massacre Wurm i think.
1 month ago
mvas Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I appreciate your thoughts.
I have Protean Hulk listed as a win condition because he is powerful in bringing out the ETB effects I need when I wanted them, even without the combo. I try to limit my combos because I prefer a much more reaction-based play style; rather than combo searching style.
Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos allow me to control the board on my opponents turns. Similarly, Smokestack passively burns away at my opponents board; more progressively the longer it remains on the board.
Elvish Mystic, I missed that in my add of mana dorks. Thank you!
I appreciate where you are coming from with the ETB effects. But in my LGS Meta there are an ABUNDANCE of Humility-style control players. So investing in the ETB this heavily is quite the gamble for me.
Many of the cards you list in the draw/card advantage paragraph are definitely in my Acquireboard... but my budget hasn't allowed me to get them just yet. In time, I will get them. Damnation and Toxic Deluge are also coming soon.
I'm just waiting for Mindslicer to be in stock at my LGS and then it's going in.
1 month ago
Hey there. Your deck looks interesting. I played a Meren deck myself for a very long time. I have some questions and general suggestions based on my experiencie playing in my local EDH league, which is quite competitive. Hope they help :) :
-If you intend to make this deck more competitive and consistent, I'd highly recommend cutting cards that don't impact the board the turn they come in. I'm thinking Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos. Smokestack can be too slow as well. In my experiencie these cards can be somewhat winmore; you already have lots of removal so most of the time you don't really need to add more sacrifice effects. Speaking of removal, you have to add Shriekmaw and Ravenous Chupacabra, they are bombs in a Meren deck.
-I'd cut back on the amount of highly costed bombs (5 or more CMC), and focus more on efficient creatures with enter the battlefield or sac effects that you can abuse. Reclamation Sage, Manglehorn, Skinrender come to mind. Also, Caustic Caterpillar.
-Add some more card draw/card advantage if possible. Meren can be really strong but is easily disrupted; you need more engine cards to keep the deck going if Meren is killed too many times. They are expensive, but if possible try and add Sylvan Library, Survival of the Fittest and Oracle of Mul Daya. Tireless Tracker, Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip, Courser of Kruphix and Smuggler's Copter are other really powerful and cheap cards that generate lots of advantage.
-Other useful tutors to consider, and which help increase the deck's consistency are Diabolic Intent and Eldritch Evolution, which synergize with your game plan. They can help you find the right card for each situation.
-Mindslicer can win you the game all on it's own.
-Finally, Sadistic Hypnotist is awesome.
Meren is great (she was my first commander and really got me hooked with the format), so I wish you have great success with her!
1 month ago
These are all not too expansive (I hope), there are some more expansive variants or single time variants but I am not a fan of those.
Painful Quandary (It hurts if it costs 5 life or a discard per spell for your oppponents) Cunning Lethemancer (This will give you a lot of tokens per turn) Myojin of Night's Reach (Single time only though, great when your opponent just drew a full hand) Mindslicer (Play it when you have no more useful cards in your hand) Anvil of Bogardan (Not the cheapest card money wise) Bottomless Pit Necropotence (You want to draw a lot of cards, losing some life is worth drawing your hand back to 7 every turn) Quest for the Nihil Stone (If you make them discard enough this is a heavy clock to death) Creeping Dread (It's a discard that can deal damage) Larceny (Full swing with all your nath elves, get some through and make up for those that died by discards)
1 month ago
Looks like a neat idea--and a neat way to use Malfegor. There's a little problem, though. Yes, you're going to be making your opponents discard a lot of cards, but except for two creatures (Mindslicer and Sire Of Insanity) they're just drawing those cards back again. Those wheel effects just aren't going to get their hands empty. That means the punishers you have for small hands like Shrieking Affliction just aren't going to pull their weight. Consider instead punishing both sides of your wheel effect cards. Punish the discard with Waste Not and Liliana's Caress, then punish the card draw with things like Underworld Dreams, Spiteful Visions and many other similar effects.
1 month ago
Haha Mindslicer shenanigans is always fun.
Skullclamp has been a powerhouse for me with all the tokens and sacrifices. Plus, it makes people sometimes not block just to avoid you getting the draws.
I've been trying a few things for card draw like Grim Haruspex and Ulvenwald Mysteries which seem to help out. Also that's another reason I'm trying more recursion sources since if I can draw more things why not just get back the ones I already played.