Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker
Legendary Creature — Bird Monk
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker.
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker Discussion
20 hours ago
a friend of mine is attempting to create an esper blink deck. He's looking at Ravos, Soultender + Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker for the commander slot. Would there be a better commander for this strategy out there and/or an example deck amongst this awesome list I could point him to?
1 day ago
Looks pretty good, I have a Sram deck with fairly similar counts on voltron + lands & it tends to beat face consistently. Your's is a little different in that you utilize 2x commanders. That being said, I see a couple of reasons for KEEPING Reyhan, Last of the Abzan
- GREEN color identity, those low cost green hexproof/shroud auras are reason enough to keep Reyhan - In fact I'd think about more due to you having a self-growing commander that isn't quite so screwed by shroud: Sexy BUDGET green aura to think about - Aspect of Mongoose , Canopy Cover , and CURSES!! Bear Umbra isn't budget but it sure smacks people. Pollenbright Wings can suddenly make you swing/block wide & is ridiculous with all that double strike.
- You use so much shroud so it is nice to have a secondary equip option, unfortunately in Sram I actually had to PULL Lightning Greaves due to several games where I played it early for protection but never found myself drawing in to a new equip option; fortunately for you, you have a 2nd option readily available in Reyhan if Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker is shrouded & blocked from further equip/targeting (nifty bonus that his innate ability lets him continue to grow)
Other things I think I noticed/possible suggestions (trying to stay on budget)
- Vanishing - SERIOUSLY CAREFULLY READ THE RULINGS ON HOW PHASING WORKS!!!!!!!!! - I have seen this card attached to Zur wreaking MASSIVE havoc, it is by far more damaging than both indestructible & hexproof combined (as long as you have 2 blue mana open (the only downside for you is if you phase out (Ishai - I don't think his ability makes him grow... but still very strong) Seems mostly superior to Mistmeadow Witch
- Sigarda's Aid maybe?
- Trepanation Blade can surprise people
- Sword of the Animist a little $$ right now for some reason :(
- Grappling Hook I know the cmc is steep but I have surprised quite a few people by using that secondary ability
- Argentum Armor maybe a bit steep $$ or cmcwise
- I would think about taking out Blade of Selves although it is cool I THINK duplicating your legendary creatures would be a dead effect seeing as how those legendary duplicates would be instantly erased (maybe you have it for some deathtrigger combo with Reyhan?)
- Banshee's Blade or because
Really neat deck, I'm a little jealous of some of the color combos & other stuff you utilize that Sram cannot. Curious as to how it would square off against Sram voltron.. probably a 50/50 FAST game type of situation. Also, would depend heavily on the types of mana base both decks were drawing in to.
1 day ago
1 day ago
Given that I'm very fond of my newest commander Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, and how quickly they can get out of control, I was brainstorming an idea to do a deck that revolves around him involving some of the cards I already own and the stuff I can order (on a roughly $30 budget).
So far this is what I have came up with: Ishai Voltron Prototype. And I'd like to know what you think, or rather if this particular setup works/gets the job done. Since....
Sadly, If I do order the cards I need to complete this deck, I will be maxed on my spending for my hobby for the next few weeks. So unfortunately, that means any suggestions are going to have to cost about as much as whatever it replaces. I'd even argue I'm slightly over budget, so no exceptions, even for genuine goodies like Darksteel Plate or Avacyn, Angel of Hope.
3 days ago
So due to being less than thrilled with my Bant Token deck, I was thinking about rejigging it to be a voltron deck since my commander; Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker is pretty good at powering themselves up since I often play multiple opponents in my local magic group, and was considering of changing it to a new theme.
Cards I own
I For control and disruption I have plenty of control cards like Convolute, Counterspell, Simic Charm, Spell Rupture, etc... Disruption includes Divine Reckoning, Pacifism, Diminish, Paralyzing Grasp, Rapid Hybridization, Defang, Cage of Hands As well as stuff that trashes enchantments and Artifacts.
For powering up my commander my Artifact pool is less than ideal, had to work with what I got. They include Trailblazer's Boots, Fireshrieker, Skyblinder Staff, Ring of Evos Isle, Grafted Exoskeleton, and Livewire Lash.
Enchantments and effects for protecting my commander and/or giving them evasion include: Infiltrator's Magemark, Holy Mantle, Guildscorn Ward, Alpha Authority, Ghostform, Sheltering Word, Survive the Night, Haze of Pollen, Shielded Passage, Rogue's Passage etc...
Mana Ramp: Assume all of my mana rocks in the bant deck are going to be cannibalized.
Creatures: I don't have the good stuff to do a true one man voltron, but I can use walls like Angelic Wall, Fog Bank, Wall of Frost for protecting myself and the effects of creatures like Fan Bearer, Mistmeadow Witch, New Prahv Guildmage, to aid my commander so they can swing in for lethal damage.
Cards I'm Scouting to Buy
New commander to pair with Ishai: Reyhan, Last of the Abzan
The cards I'm looking to get for this build would be things like the WUBRG Wards and the dual color protection like Shield of Duty and Reason, and Spectra Ward. Mask of Avacyn, Swiftfoot Boots, Aqueous Form, Steel of the Godhead, Indestructibility, and Battle Mastery
Think this is something that I can/should pull off? Any Budget recommendations?
2 weeks ago
Personally I would put back Reveillark,because you could recur 19 of your creatures with it,
and at least in my Meta is Atraxa a deck that will recieve a little hate.
1 month ago
Hey,my first question to this deck is,does it feel clunky when you play it?If you have bought the pre-con,I would defintely put back Astral Cornucopia and maybe 2-3 Signets,because you have a couple of lands that come in play tapped and some colorless wich can colorscrew you in early to midgame,
Things i would cut:Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker was in my experience to slow to really matter in game,and when he got relevant after a couple of turns,he was mostly destroyed or bounced,same would apply to Managorger Hydra
Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper I'm pretty biased on this one,it never worked really out in my games,so in my oppinion it's a really unexciting card in this deck.
Duelist's Heritage I'm biased here as well,you don't have that much trample,so often the one doublestriker would just be blocked away.
I don't know your Meta,but these point's held me back with my deck.
1 month ago
Silas Renn seems severely underutilized in this deck. With only 7 artifacts, none of which are especially important or likely to enter your graveyard, this on-hit ability will almost never come up. Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker would be a much better option. Your color identity stays the same, but you get a card worth casting.