Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Elsterooo on Phyrexian Fangirl
3 months ago
I assume you have Diabolic Intent and Disfigure. And I assume you have 1x Intent. I'd put that one in definately. Disfigure is also nice, you don't necessairly need 21 creatures. Experiment!
multimedia on Urza’s legion
3 months ago
Hey, good start on a budget with what you have so far. Command Tower is a budget staple land for multicolored Commander decks and Arcane Signet is a budget staple mana rock.
Ramos, Dragon Engine can only be played in a five color deck using it as Commander or another five color Commander. It's activated ability has all five mana symbols and those symbols count toward it's color identity. Urza's color identity is only three colors Esper (black, white, blue). Because Urza doesn't have red and green that's why Ramos can't be played with Urza as Commander.
If you want aggro with Urza lets look at the beginning of the mana curve first, cards spots of 0-3 CMC only then we can look at the higher end of the mana curve. The first changes to consider is to remove all the nonartifact creatures and then later determine if they are worth a spot in your deck because they have abilities that help artifacts or Urza. I think you'll find that you don't need any of these creatures because artifact creatures can take their places. If you want to be aggro with Urza then you want to utilize Urza's artifact creature affinity to cast Urza quicker. To do this consistently Urza wants 0-2 CMC artifact creatures and some 3 CMC artifact creatures more than the rest.
- Cut: Ramos, Dragon Engine
- Cut: Slither Blade, Triton Shorestalker, Fetid Imp, Neurok Familiar
- Cut: Parish-Blade Trainee, Gixian Skullflayer, Gryff Rider
- Cut: Naiad of Hidden Coves, Whispering Wizard, Cryptic Serpent
Some of these creatures may be added back in later, most likely not, but for now lets build the creature base with only artifact creatures. For making upgrades lets look at best cards here with Urza and build around them? Arcbound Ravager and Portal to Phyrexia are the two best cards here with Urza because they're artifacts and they're abilities are more powerful compared to most other cards here. Ravager brings the aggro, but if aggro doesn't do it and you need more reach to win the game then Portal can do that. Lets start with Ravager and what makes it better with Urza? Modular and you have some here, more one drops can help toward Urza's artifact creature affinity and Ravager.
- Add: Ornithopter, Vault Skirge, Arcbound Javelineer, Arcbound Mouser, Swooping Lookout
- Add: Steel Overseer, Baleful Strix, Triarch Praetorian, Malcator's Watcher
- Add: Silas Renn, Seeker Adept, Armix, Filigree Thrasher, Scrapyard Recombiner
Steel Overseer adds to the +1/+1 counter strategy, it's powerful but only for artifact creatures and if trying to be aggro it's a good reason to play very few nonartifact creatures. Silas Renn, Seeker Adept goes well with Arcbound Ravager since with Ravager you want to sac artifacts and Silas lets you cast an artifact from your graveyard. It's deathtouch combined with Urza's menace makes it a creature who opponent is not going to block and lose two or more creatures blocking it. Baleful Strix, Triarch Praetorian, Malcator's Watcher are two drop artifact creatures who fly and who draw when enter the battlefield (ETB) or dies.
Some artifacts here are worse than others.
- Cut: Veteran's Powerblade, Spellbook
- Cut: Journeyer's Kite, Pristine Talisman
- Cut: Reconstructed Thopter, Burnished Hart
Think about limiting the amount of nonartifact spells to just the better ones you have here?
- Cut: Involuntary Cooldown, Weakstone's Subjugation, Curse of Echoes
- Cut: Disfigure, Curate, Scatter Ray, Cancel
Equipment that increases the equipped creature's power equal to the amount of artifacts you control really ups the aggro since then any little artifact creature can become huge which combined with menace can make it a great attacker. I see Silver Myr and it's good here since counts twice for Urza, artifact creature affinity and ramp. Consider adding more artifact creature mana dorks who can make colored mana?
- Add: Cranial Plating, Nettlecyst
- Add: Ornithopter of Paradise, Gold Myr, Leaden Myr
The budget Signets can help for ramp as well as color fixing which is really needed because the manabase here is pretty much all basic lands. Arcane Signet is a staple budget mana rock for ramp in Commander. Chromatic Lantern is fine for color fixing, but you're going to want more than that.
- Add: Arcane Signet
- Add: Azorius Signet, Dimir Signet, Orzhov Signet
Some nonartifact creatures at the beginning of the mana curve can really help aggro and Urza.
Losheel, Clockwork Scholar is powerful with artifact creatures when attacking is what you want to be doing especially Constructs. Your artifact creatures don't take damage in combat meaning that opponents will have a difficult time choosing to block since their blockers might die, but your creatures will be fine. Losheel is also repeatable draw, once on each players turn when an artifact creature ETB you draw this includes when a Construct is created by Urza if you didn't have an artifact creature ETB before your end step.
Sai, Master Thopterist can be a repeatable source of artifact creatures, Thopters, to be attackers or sac fodder. Emry, Lurker of the Loch is like Silas Renn, Seeker Adept more ways to cast artifacts from your graveyard is good with Arcbound Ravager and other sac outlets.
That's it for this comment, but if you're still interested I'll give advice about the high end of the mana curve here to take more advantage of aggro into mid game and Portal to Phyrexia late game as well as some budget land options for the manabase. Would you like more advice?
Good luck with your deck.
Mousemke on Bombardier Gold
4 months ago
dunno if you will try to port this type of thing to modern, but for comparison, here are some comparative upgrades you could make
-Disfigure => Dismember (not a clean swap, may depend on your usage)
-Lightning Strike => Lightning Bolt
-Play with Fire => more Lightning Bolt?
-Searing Blaze?(how important is the scry)
-Morbid Opportunist => Grim Haruspex
-Seize the Storm => hard to replace 1:1, but it's expensive. maybe Dreadhorde Arcanist or Magmatic Channeler
also lands. i wont dive that deep here but ofc the land base standard => modern are quite different
thefiresoflurve on We've Come To Suck Your Blood >:B
10 months ago
Hey there : )
Can you edit your deck and put CMDR next to the name of your commander? I think, from your description, that it's Vito, but I'm not certain.
As far as cuts go: Your game plan is life drain and combat damage, so the cuts will be the cards that contribute least to that.
1) Vampiric Rites. Compare this to Altar's Reap: both take 1 slot in the deck, but Vampiric Rites takes 1 extra mana to cast, and gives 1 life instead of 1 card (1 card is worth a lot more than 1 life, bad trade there). The only upside to Vampiric Rites is that it's repeatable, but if you really have so many creatures that you can repeat that effect, your opponents should be dead.
2) Underworld Dreams. This card doesn't synergize with anything else in here, and isn't as good compared to other things you could do with 3 mana: Necropotence, Drana, Marauding Blight Priest, etc.
3) Sorin's Thirst. It's good that it gains you life, that interacts with Vito, but it has limited targets. Compare to Murder, which for 1 more mana hits a creature with any toughness.
4) Geth's Verdict Unless you play against voltron. This is table dependent, but most of the time sacrifice doesn't really matter unless you have a lot of it.
5) Disfigure (see note on sorin's thirst)
6) Stromkirk Bloodthief - not bad, but we can do better
7) Crossway Troublemakers - Not really that awful on its own, but vampires already have a ton of DT/LL and don't need to gain it. The mana cost is also huge. For 6 mana, you better be like winning the game, and this doesn't do it.
8) Arrogant Outlaw - a rather weak effect TBH
9) Sangromancer not a bad card, just doesn't fit the best here. You need a lot more creature/hand hate to make sangro worth running.
10) Call the Bloodline - a rather weak effect, vampires have much better token generators. 11) Ill-Gotten Inheritance - kind of weak. Better things we can do with 4 mana.
Hope that helps!
Icbrgr on Merchant of Death (Modern Mono-Black)
1 year ago
In my opinion the utility of your creatures having adventure/deathtouch is certainly great value and I think are great picks; however I personally would like to have access to cheap instant speed spot removal... just for an example I'd try to cut 2 copies of Gray Merchant of Asphodel and a single copy of Geralf's Messenger in favor of 3xTragic Slip (or some other ratio of creatures)... Whether they or you swing with a deathtouch creature and when they chump block you can pay to take out an additional creature of value... Vendetta/Disfigure also have there place for consideration depending on your meta.
Just my thoughts on the matter; i really do like your deck good luck and happy brewing!
2 years ago
Need: 4x Chittering Rats
4x Barren Moor
1x Bojuka Bog
2x Cast Down
4x Wrench Mind
Icbrgr on mono black aggro
2 years ago
I'd say just put in your choice of hand disruption thoughtsieze or inquisition of kozelek over Disfigure and I think you got yourself a great fun deck.
Spell_Slam on UB Phantasm Control Mill Variant
2 years ago
You are definitely focusing too much on mill to enable only 6 cards in your deck. You could be doing it much more organically, as you mentioned, with removal/discard/counters.
If there is a mill card you could look at, it might be Paranoid Delusions, since you can mill an opponent 6 cards in one turn with it easily and potentially get to 9 the following turn, which can enable your plan consistently throughout the game.
I would definitely cut Mind Sculpt and Memory Sluice in favor of more control cards. Chainer's Edict, another copy of Cast Down and Disfigure are classics. Artful Dodge is another one that confuses me and could probably be cut.
Wight of Precinct Six doesn't seem like a great card, since it only counts creatures. In the very late game it will be big, but it seems like most of the time it will be a weaker and more expensive Gurmag Angler (not to mention getting weaker with graveyard hate).
Esper Panorama is not a very common piece of fixing and I'm curious why you chose it over Dismal Backwater or Dimir Aqueduct.
You could also definitely use more card draw (those slots get sucked up by mill right now). Preordain and Augur of Bolas are classics for Dimir Control.