Creature — Zombie Fish
Delve (You may exile cards from your graveyard as you cast this spell. Each card you exile while casting this spell pays for .)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Gurmag Angler Discussion
4 weeks ago
Grubbernaut thanks for the upvote! Generally what you said is true, but for this deck I beg to differ. Think Twice is always card advantage while Frantic Inventory , which draws more cards if you can cast all four, has to be drawn at multiple times to get the advantage. Plus if you have to discard Think Twice to Forbidden Alchemy you can still flashback it, plus having one in the gy you can do cool stuff like play Mortuary Mire a Mulldrifter and get it back by flashbacking Think Twice it if you have the mana, or get back a Gurmag Angler . This deck is mostly a "draw, land, go" kind of deck so the flashback cost isn't an issue. Curse of the Bloody Tome is a bad card generally, but it works in this deck because, as I said, many turns are just waiting for stuff to counter and having a passive wincon is cool. Plus you can discard it to Forbidden Alchemy . On MTGO it also has the advantage that if you play it on the first round by turn three, people will scoop because they aren't ready for a mill deck, side out removal for enchantment hate, and get stomped by Gurmag Angler . Cast Down I agree, but until they ban Chatterstorm you need ways to sweep by turn two. Plus against boros you can sweep First Day of Class buffed birds which is nice, and two Suffocating Fumes is necessary to survive against elves.
1 month ago
1 month ago
I've played a bunch of budget modern lists - Nighthawk's competition is Gurmag Angler . They require similar setup, but angler doesn't die to push/bolt and doesn't need the graveyard to stay stocked.
To pick scavenger over angler, you need to take advantage of its typing, keywords or cmc - ideally all of them. Vampire/rogues have some neat synergies, but vamps already have good tools for 'getting a big creature' while rogues tend towards a more aggressive build that wants 1 drops. It does form part of a set with the other Vampire Nighthawk clones, but using deathtouch/lifelink well enough to justify all of them is trickier than it sounds - a 3 drop is high mana in modern, and deathtouch makes it want to trade up.
I could see a jund list with nighthawk built around using both Bloodbraid Elf and Collected Company to power out 3 drop creatures. If there is a card that lets your creatures ping stuff or says 'everything has trample' strong enough, it might make it to teir 2, but that doesn't exist yet.
1 month ago
Hey timtasticc thanks for everything! As always, I make long answers so sorry for the following text wall =).
You could be right about Goblin Gathering , but only more playtesting will tell, and with finals and pandemics it will take some time to do so =(. Furthermore, having only two would be better switching them with Hordeling Outburst which I don't have yet. I'll keep in mind your suggestion though, don't worry, because it's on point!
I didn't remember Goblin Grenade said "any target", that's wonderful, I'll definitely put it in if I find some space, but I'll need to test if its 1 goblin cost interferes with our need of willing sacrific... ehm cultists in order to summon old gods (Plus I sincerely hate Gurmag Angler so you hit home with that)
Finally Goblin Chirurgeon is sick and definitely on point! Really a perfect fit, thanks! I'll find some place for him in the sideboard.
1 month ago
I think with how many tokens Mogg War Marshal and Goblin Instigator make, the goblin gathering might be a little overkill but they are very on flavor. I think cutting two of them in favor for Lightning Bolt or Goblin Grenade for some flavor points might be better and give you interaction (and also gets rid of Gurmag Angler
Goblin Chirurgeon would be a good card to keep your crushers on the field because of how prominent removal is. Might be better for sideboard but its a fun card I love using!
Would love to see "Gobdrazi" become a meta deck one day this looks like fun and also flavorful! +1
1 month ago
I think that 17 lands is fine for this list for several reasons, mostly because this deck is actually 52 cards in theory (4x Street Wraith , 4x Mishra's Bauble ). That said, the graveyard is being extremely taxed with 4 expensive delve creatures and 2 Snapcaster Mage s in the list, plus you want to be able to support Drown in the Loch ... I feel that Murktide Regent and Tasigur, the Golden Fang don't fit into this list very well unfortunately. I agree that Counterspell is probably much better off as a 2-of, but I don't know if it should be in the main or in the side.
I don't know if this helped any, but I think that MH2 can make this deck feel more similar to Legacy Shadow lists due to Grief and Counterspell , but Force of Negation is not Force of Will and clearly the cantrips are less than ideal in Modern. Murktide Regent might be a ton better than I am expecting, but it is much less explosive than Gurmag Angler and cannot come down on turn-2 no matter what you do (unless you're opening hand has 4 "free" spells, 2 fetches, and the drake).
1 month ago
Great looking build you have here, +1.
I wouldn’t swap Gurmag Angler for Delver of Secrets Flip though. You’ll want to utilize the Delve mechanic as much as possible, buffing Murktide Regent in the process. I suppose you could nuke your own graveyard with Tormod's Crypt or something to accomplish the same thing in one fell swoop, but that would be working against the whole Delve/Dredge mechanic.
If anything, I’d replace Thought Scour with something like Drown in Filth . Milling yourself for 2 and a draw is just not as efficient as the latter. If you have a playset, consider either Thoughtseize or the new Grief —either would be extremely productive Turn 1 plays.
1 month ago
JacenSolo29 as far as the next update goes, I’m waiting to see if there is anything else that drops from MH2, but I think we have the complete list now.
My first impressions are:
1) Faithless Salvaging - this works better than Thrill of Possibility since it can be cast on an empty hand and the rebound can’t be caught by hand disruption. Instant is nice if we really do want to cast on opponent’s end step. Then, if we draw an instant, we can cast with rebound on the stack to get full value.
2) Prismatic Ending - I personally really REALLY like this. Great against aggro, Humans, Jund, Ponza, Death's Shadow (minus Gurmag Angler ). See (https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/is-prismatic-ending-the-new-swords-to-plowshares/)
3) Damn - again, LOVE IT! Definitely love the versatility, but I don’t know if it would replace Dreadbore (hits PWs), Fatal Push (instant and cheaper), or Engineered Explosives (can be triggered at instant speed and can be cheaper). Definitely a consideration for spots that previously included Damnation or Wrath of God .
4) General Ferrous Rokiric - I personally really like this. Immune to most removal (specifically EFFICIENT removal) such as Lightning Bolt , Path to Exile , Fatal Push , and Cryptic Command bouncing it. If you play a lot of multicolor spells, like Kolaghan's Command , Kaya's Guile , Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , Nahiri, the Harbinger , Dreadbore / Terminate , and Lightning Helix , then you definitely benefit from having this.
5) Dragon's Rage Channeler - this has a Magmatic Channeler feel to it and couples well with the graveyard-centric focus. If you opt for utility ARTIFACTS, like Mishra's Bauble , Damping Sphere , or Engineered Explosives , ENCHANTMENTS, like Blood Moon , or PLANESWALKERS, like Liliana of the Veil or any of the previously mentioned PWs, then you have an even easier time to activate Delirium. You do have to attack every turn, but having flying as evasion is really nice. Surveil is good if we start running more Flashback spells, like more Lingering Souls or Smiting Helix .
7) Obsidian Charmaw - OMG there are SO many Tron hate cards in this set, and I LOVE it. If Tron or Eldrazi Tron get more popular through all the hate from this set, then this would be great to add create a clock.
8) Vindicate - old EDH tech being added to Modern. I like the idea of destroying anything, but sorcery speed and 3 cmc, with everything else that has come into the game (and power creep), makes me unsure of its power. Could be what we need, but 3cmc is already crowded in the list.
9) Flame Blitz - UW/x, Jund, and maybe Tron typically run more PWs, so if we forgo running PWs, ourselves, then this serves as an extremely cheap PW hate card. Cycling is nice if we draw it and the opponent has side boarded out a majority of their PWs.
10) Harmonic Prodigy - if we bring back Young Pyromancer , add in Dark Confidant , and focus on Prowess, then I think this would rather have a home in a Feather, the Redeemed /spell-slinger deck. Still, it would be ok here, with the high spell count we run.
11) Sanctifier en-Vec - I don’t think we want to use this... definitely expect it in Burn or D&T lists against us.
12) Dauthi Voidwalker - now THIS we can use. Basically Sanctifier en-Vec , but unilateral hate and can help against Dredge or other recursion based decks. I like that we can sac on targeted removal and cast one of their spell(s). can conflict with our spells, but we are usually ok. If we get Blood Moon ed, we can usually laugh it off and power through it.
13) Bone Shards - in the primer, I’ve indicated that Mardu Pyro has different variants (spells/grave, PW, and Aristocrat/tokens). I feel this would slot nicely into an token deck, along with Village Rites , Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger , and Afterlife creatures.
14) Fury - at first glance, I’ve been conflicted. Seems ok as protection from aggro strategies, but I wish it had either 1 more toughness, did more damage, hit players, or cost less. It just seems... meh... I’m skeptical, but I’ve definitely been proven wrong before, so I’ll keep my mind open.
15) Mine Collapse - great if we run a bit more heavy on lands and run late. Too bad it doesn’t hit players though... a common theme from cards this set.
16) Arcbound Whelp / Esper Sentinel /Knighted Myr - another idea that has come to fruition from this set is Mardu Affinity. No, we won’t tech for Hardened Scales , but the removal suite that we run, in addition to these new artifact creatures (and lands!) is tempting enough to test some brews.
I hope this gives an idea of what we could change for the deck. The list was roughly done in the order of what we would tech in to the current build, but anything is possible! Let me know what you all think.
Edit: some of the cards (Knighted Myr, Mine Collapse, and Bone Shards) did not have the links set up in TappedOut as of the time of this post, so I do apologize for that.