|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Tribal Instant — Rogue
Prowl (Blue) (You may play this for its prowl cost if you dealt combat damage to a player this turn with a Rogue.)
Look at the top four cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Thieves' Fortune Discussion
2 months ago
Thieves' Fortune was a four-of at one point, but when I started getting run over by faster aggro decks I cut a couple to make room for two Morsel Theft for some life gain. Yeah, Bitterblossom is way out of range for a budget deck.
7 months ago
a more aggro option for Hidden Strings is Hands of Binding (whitch i use in my rogue deck). Also you might wanna throw some other unblockable creatures like Slither Blade or Triton Shorestalker for the Stinkdrinker Bandit buff. But as I see your rogue deck is more of a control deck while mine is pure aggro with some disruption as. For a control rogue deck you should consider Notorious Throng and Knowledge Exploitation and maybe Explorer's Scope. i don't know if you know this card Thieves' Fortune but don't underestimate it, saved my ass a bunch of times.
Anyway take a look at backstabbed and say what you think :)
9 months ago
If you're looking at Thieves' Fortune I'd just run Serum Visions instead. It's not strictly better, but it is superior in the vast majority of possible scenarios. Knowledge Exploitation and Earwig Squad are strong sideboard options for sure; I run both in the SB of my rogue deck.
9 months ago
@psykopatmullvad: Thanks for the upvote! The deck's list here on tappedout is exactly the list as I play it at the moment. The last updates I did were to cut Arcanis the Omnipotent and Back from the Brink and add Thieves' Fortune and Submerge to the list instead. I am thinking about adding Treasure Cruise to the deck as well, but didn't decide on what to cut for it yet.
11 months ago
1 year ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.
1 year ago
I love your deck! I am a fan of decks that run flavorful cards over powerful cards, this is the most fun and satisfying way to build a Commander deck in my opinion. I mean, you don't play Commander to have the strongest deck but to have the most fun deck and get to play with your favorite cards from Magic's entire history you've always wanted to see shine.
Some Suggestions for your deck:
Thassa, God of the Sea - Evasion when needed and makes your draws smootherSmuggler's Copter - The name and mechanic fit the theme of the deck. It is evasive and triggers Sygg by itself.Thopter Spy Network - Fits Mechanically, maybe not rogueish enoughDuskmantle Seer - highly recommend him, you profit because of your low mana curve, also looks like a Rogue kindaMarang River Prowler - Rogue with RecursionNotion Thief- very flavorful, Rogue, ETB AbilityWhispersilk Cloak - flavorful and grants protection and unblockableDimir Cutpurse - no evasion but lets you draw a card and your opponent discardThieves' Fortune - a prowl version of Impulse (if you don't like to play the mainstream cards)Umezawa's Jitte - best equipment ever printed (not as good in Commander though)Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Helps you trigger SyggOther Cards: Nightveil Specter, Jhessian Thief, Vampire Nighthawk (just because of the art, but probably better not to include)
I hope I could give you some inspiration. I am also thinking about building a similar Sygg deck, but probably won't happen because I can't afford building multiple Commander decks at once.