|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska (DDM)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Shadow Alley Denizen
Creature — Vampire Rogue
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gains intimidate until end of turn. (It can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (6)||ironax , bakunet , nakni , TThors , XxCataclysmiCxX , frederiklw|
|Want (10)||cartemagic , Lazysaurus , Rootwalla09 , SacredKittay , masterglencour , Zaes , FNG , AyyAyyRon , Turtlelover73 , xanadus|
Shadow Alley Denizen Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hey I actually am rebuilding my Edgar deck right now, and I've realized a few things about the deck. So here's what I think...
- Dark Prophecy: Triple black, and can be used against your by wiping your board as it is NOT a may ability. So if you have 15 creatures and they WOG you lose 15 life which could be the game...
- Land Tax: I just don't think you need it, you operate with very little mana in this deck and I think you're fine without it.
- Umezawa's Jitte: I just don't like this card in EDH 9/10 the creature with the Jitte will ALWAYS be blocked. I just think there are better value cards out there
- Torment Of Hailfire: No one is ever going to do what you want with this card. Lets say they have an Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger on the table and you want it dead... they'll discard every card, lose all the life, and sac all the lands before they get rid of the ONE card you wanted gone. Just play a hard removal, Damnation
- Sign In Blood & Night's Whisper: They are one off and you have plenty of draw power in the deck that is consistent. At the very least cut Sign as is't double black and you are in 3 colors.
- Gifted Aetherborn: I tried it but it just doesn't do enough... Plus double black
- Bloodline Necromancer: Too expensive, you want cheap vamps to maximize on Eminence! Plus you have Reclamation so...
Cards Worth adding:
- Bloodghast too good
- Purphoros, God of the Forge great in multiplayer
- Olivia, Mobilized for War the haste helps a LOT
- Olivia Voldaren Can steal enemy commanders
- Sangromancer punishes your opponent
- Shadow Alley Denizen Value town weenie
- Westvale Abbey Flip you produce tokens why not?
- Cathars' Crusade Burst potential is so great
- Anointed Procession helps with going wide
- Cover of Darkness Meta dependent, great in playgroups not black heavy
- Mana Echoes SO MUCH MANA!
1 month ago
on edgar markov
2 months ago
Eldrazi Monument is an Anthem, grants flying and indestructible at the same time. The upkeep cost shouldn't be a problem for you given the vampire tokens you generate.
Cover of Darkness grants all vampires fear... as if they're not scary enough...
Shadow Alley Denizen is an excellent 1 drop that synergizes well with the deck. Casting black vampires and the tokens that ETB, grants your creatures intimidate and allow you to apply some early pressure.
3 months ago
When building a tribal deck you generally want to ask yourself at every opportunity: "Why am I playing this tribe instead of just some creatures of the type with other value cards?"
The answer is almost always 'Lords', so let's take a look at that. You have Indulgent Aristocrat on 1 to potentially grind out some value, Kalastria Highborn on 2 to potentially grind out some more, Stromkirk Captain on 3 as your first true lord, and Vampire Nocturnus on 4 as your second true lord. I'd say 2 true lords is low for a tribal deck, especially when they cost 3 and 4 mana respectively. It's hard to get an explosive creature start when you don't start buffing things and playing crazy until turn 3 at the earliest. Shadow Alley Denizen and Falkenrath Gorger give you pseudo-lords at 1, though SAD gets a lot worse when you consider most of your beaters have evasion in the form of flying already. Stromkirk Condemned fits into the 2 slot nicely as another true lord, and Metallic Mimic could fit in too if you needed it to. Captivating Vampire is also an excellent idea if you can fit it in.
With Stromkirk Condemned, Falkenrath Gorger, Asylum Visitor, and Bloodghast, you can very easily lean into a discard theme for a little power boost to the deck. I'd recommend 1-2 Sinister Concoction since it A) kills something, B) pitches something for madness, and C) allows you a second shot if you reveal a land or red card on top of your deck with Nocturnus.
As for what to cut, both of your Aristocrats are exceedingly mediocre when you consider the only thing that you have value in sacrificing is Bloodghast, so I'd recommend all being cut. If you really want another 4 mana beater to replace the falkenrath, you could consider Bloodline Keeper Flip or Bloodhall Priest instead. Nighthawk is a fan favorite card, but I don't know that you need 3. You could go down to 2. The Highborns could maybe move to sideboard, since they really don't add to your gameplan in the slightest. They're good to close out a game against control I suppose, but not something you want to slam on turn 2 when you have other options like Asylum Visitor, Metallic Mimic, and Stromkirk Condemned.
Those are just my thoughts though. If you like it better this way or don't like any of the cards I suggested, that's fine too. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun!
3 months ago
@ RearBumper Really nice list, I already had a bunch on the list. Added new ones though, Linvala, the Preserver , Windwright Mage , Puncturing Light , Ethereal Usher , Ivy Dancer , Shadow Alley Denizen , Disciple of the Old Ways Good catches!
3 months ago
I’ve found that it’s very important to have some one drops to get Yuriko out on turn two. Some of the cooler ones I’ve found are Imagecrafter (ninjas in disguise!), Signal Pest, Deadeye Tracker, Hypnotic Siren, Qarsi High Priest, Sage of Epityr, Shadow Alley Denizen, and Wingcrafter. I like these because they also provide late game value.
Ashiok seems unhelpful to your deck. I’m sure there are better card draw options than the hondens, but I can appreciate the flavor. People might not like you playing Masterful Ninja because it’s really broken. Make sure you ask first.
I really like Karn's Temporal Sundering in this deck since it is easily castable and can bounce Yuriko.
4 months ago
Hey, I definitely understand that whole weekly EDH becoming a cluster fuck; been happening to my play group and we had to create rules to get things better.
As far as card suggestions go, I feel like Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle, Shadow Alley Denizen, and Cover of Darkness are nessecary inclusions here; definitely worth considering.
Some cards I added for variety's sake and because they are good, but depends on how you want the deck to run Aurelia, the Warleader, Mirri the Cursed, Olivia, Mobilized for War, Whip of Erebos, and Vanquisher's Banner.
Oh and for the flavor I play one Campaign of Vengeance, because the flavor in that artwork is too strong.
4 months ago
First, thanks for the detailed feedback.
I agree that a couple of instants and sorceries probably need to be added. My initial thought was to maximize the eminence ability by including more vampires, though there may be a few that should be cut.
I also agree that Vampire Nocturnus is questionable: the BBB cost is difficult, not to mention the tactical disadvantage of playing with the top of the library exposed.
I disagree with your assessment of Shadow Alley Denizen: due to the eminence ability, every vampire you cast will give at least one of your creatures intimidate, which can be incredibly advantageous in a combat-oriented deck.
Likewise, Yahenni, Undying Partisan provides a free sac outlet, protects herself from board wipes, and - when paired with a Grave Pact effect - can grow truly massive and attack out of nowhere. In addition, Yahenni + Grave Pact is a very effective punishment for a Cyclonic Rift: simply sac all of the tokens that would have disappeared anyway to kill everyone else's creatures.
I have not included any traditional board wipes because of the multiple Grave Pact effects, which also have the benefit of getting around regeneration and indestructibility.
Once again, thanks for the feedback!