|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Goblin Rogue
Prowl (You may cast this for its prowl cost if you dealt combat damage to a player this turn with a Goblin or Rogue.)
When Earwig Squad enters the battlefield, if its prowl cost was paid, search target opponent's library for three cards and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Earwig Squad Discussion
3 weeks ago
- Not sure what your budget is but here are cards I would recommend:
- For starts Id get black in your board it helps a lot beacuse: Sling-Gang Lieutenant and Munitions Expert are amazing
- I would put in 1 (max 2) Krenko, Mob Boss when it lands it accelerates hard
- Goblin Ringleader a play set is 1$ and helps the deck a lot.
- Pashalik Mons can help the deck for when your small goblins die, I would run 1
- Goblin Warchief seems amazing
- Goblin Matron lets you find the perfect goblin always
- Goblin Chieftain typically lords (+1/+1 to a creature type) is an auto 4 of. However if you are more mid-range comboy then dont have as many
- Mogg War Marshal the echo seems really bad at first but then you have death triggers which is free damage so its good id have 4
- Goblin Piledriver Gets very big and blue creatures cannot block it, and cannot be targeted by blue bounce spells. (can still be countered though :( )
- Goblin Cratermaker is a goblin that is cheap removal
- Skirk Prospector lets you play big goblins sooner. Can also synergize well with cards being there is the death trigger. You could swing for 10 then sac 10 goblins draining them for 10, which kills them with 10 power on the board.
- Mogg Fanatic is a oldy but goody, Its worth considering 1.
- Tarfire if you want to be memey this technically counts as a goblin (which means you can search for it as if it was a goblin even though its an instant).
- Aether Vial is a big money card but sooooo much fun
- Auntie's Hovel helps your mana base and so does Cavern of Souls id play 4 of each with unlimited money
- Bloodstained Mire is great it filters and can find Blood Crypt I would then run 4 mountains and one swamp. You want to run about 22 lands here no less then 21. Generally for deck construction going below 19 lands is a bad idea (minus a few combo decks, but they run a lot of blue filter cards).
- Blood Moon is a funny card to run
- Goblin Chainwhirler can be fun as well
- If artifacts are a problem then play Goblin Trashmaster
- Black also gets you Earwig Squad
- Another way to build it would be like this: OmniGoblin which is a combo kinda deck
2 months ago
bam69icp I would be glad to give some feedback on your Goblins list. I just played at SCG Syracuse but just had bad luck in two games and finished 1-3. Incase you’re curious, Earwig Squad is amazing against Lands.
I considered playing Rest in Peace in the sideboard instead of Surgical Extraction and having a Karakas in the main board for lands and reanimator matchups and helping just cast Containment Priest . However, needing the white mana isn’t usually an issue and RIP isn’t much better than Surgical in some match ups. For example, Delver is one of the most common match ups and I’d prefer Surgical over RIP. However, I haven’t been able to test it so it might be worth trying but not in a single game I played at the Open would RIP have been better.
3 months ago
I was thinking of old krenko, from back when I was still mucking about with goblin lists.
Run some tests with spike jester and see if you like it there- I've played it in the past and its fine. Not amazing, just fine. Jund Hackblade is similar, but more conditional, and Goblin Deathraiders is bad. Thats the multicolour goblins covered- its quite unexciting. Mad Auntie is a lord that doesn't offer evasion, and is therefore better as any of the red lords, but might be worth it in a hyper-budget list.
Auntie's Snitch and Squee, Goblin Nabob are an interesting card advantage engine (which is hated out by the same cards as dredge), but can make for a fun Zombie Infestation list. Stinkdrinker Bandit would be good if enough good goblin rogues existed. Warren Weirding is an interesting hybrid removal/token spell, but still sub-par.
With the meta up in the air as far as competitive modern goes, I don't feel too confident getting more specific than 'playtest'.
Stoneforge means plans for a t3 Batterskull are a must, as well as a plan for Ensnaring Bridge (hence me looking at Angrath's Rampage or Rakdos Charm ), but past that just playtest and see what you like. See if any rakdos burn lists show up on a metagame site for you to pinch the sideboard/spells from.
5 months ago
What's your opinion on the interaction between Stinkdrinker Bandit and Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive ? Those two cards can attack for an unblockable 7 damage, but, Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive is kind of a nonbo with Oona's Blackguard .
Also, put the rest of the 4 Earwig Squad in the sideboard. There are a lot of decks in modern that fold instantly if cards get pulled out, mostly combo decks that run 1-3 win conditions but can find them very consistently: Grapeshot Emrakul, the Aeons Torn Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle Lightning Storm Laboratory Maniac , just to name a few common ones.
Boza on Resto Gonti
1 year ago
Well, gonti is a rogue and rouge is a pretty cool tribe with a great mechanic. So check out this competitive at LGS level Rogue tribal:
Earwig Squad works very well to strip an opp's deck of win conditions.
1 year ago
Hi- There are a few cards that deserve honourable mentions from my testing. I've got this big list of cards I've tested and made work, but a lot of it is pure jank. Mono black deckbuilder's toolbox The ones below deserve specific mention.
Plunge into Darkness. It pseudo tutors, its a sac outlet, it hates on burn. Its ability to look for a sideboard card is both understated and very strong.
Imp's Mischief is a meta call, but in some metas is devastating. Used to be run a lot to redirect splinter twin, will likely see play when something similar reapears.
Blade of the Bloodchief is a big payoff card for mono-black vampire tribal, as sitting lower to the ground and spamming creatures/removal makes lashwrithe and this a lot stronger.
Dark Prophecy is worth mentioning in that it is unplayable. You have to say it or people will try. Unless its a key combo peice in a Zulaport Cutthroat list, don't bother. Jam a Phyrexian Arena or heck, Underworld Connections instead.
Defense Grid, Storage Matrix and Culling Scales deserve mention as artifacts. They aren't in favour at the moment, but have in the past been devastating tools. Sun Droplet is often a better Dragon's Claw, or in a degenerate meta, copies 5-8.
Soul Spike is a powerful wincon when you can draw your library, which is tricky in mono black, but very possible with Grim Haruspex lists. The lifegain can also offset lifeloss a lot of repeatable 'draw your library' cards often incur.
Gonti's Machinations is a 1 mana lightning helix with suspend which bypasses leyline.
1 year ago
willis1234Yeah Oona's Blackguard kind of goes against him but usually dies fast to removal pretty fast. His effect still ends up working a lot. If it don't it just wins games. As for Earwig Squad I was running 3 but Took 1 out to test Auntie's Snitch. Auntie is a blast to play with Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive.
1 year ago
thanks for the suggestions btw, I don't think tetsuko really fits the deck because you have cards like Oona's Blackguard that buff your guys out of his range. The deck its self looks pretty strong. I would run some Remands maindeck and add 1 more Earwig Squad. Also, Morsel Theft looks pretty strong too.
No data for this card yet.