Creature — Goblin Scout
Mountainwalk (This creature is unblockable as long as defending player controls a Mountain.)
Printings View all
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Common|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Common|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Common|
|Starter 1999 (S99)||Common|
|Portal Second Age (P02)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Goblin Mountaineer Discussion
2 years ago
looks nice but as an expert goblin player (having 3 goblin commander decks) here are some changes:
switch Goblin Rabblemaster with Goblin Piledriver. still gets a buff from other attacking goblins but does not force you to attack every turn with everything. plus has protection from blue. which is nice.
you got too many things that give Haste. keep Goblin Chieftain and replace Goblin Warchief with Hazoret's Monument. still reduces the cost of goblins and is one less thing to give Haste. plus lets you cycle cards if need to. also swap Fervor for Goblin Warrens or Quest for the Goblin Lord. either one works.
i can see why you put Skullclamp into the deck but sadly creature tokens don't go to the graveyard so it won't trigger the ability. i know, i tried it with Sylvok Lifestaff. that being said replace it with a Prying Blade. or if you need the card draw Rogue's Gloves.
i don't know why you have Treasonous Ogre in there but unless you can crank your life up each turn he will drain you. i suggest Tyrant's Familiar. a 5/5 flyer with haste and if your commander is in play, which he most likely is, gets another +2/+2 and can shoot a creature when he attacks. if 7 mana is too much then Goblin Sappers to make your creatures unblockable at the cost of their life.
you don't need both Phyrexian Altar and Ashnod's Altar. both cost 3 mana and both let you sack creatures for mana. drop the Phyrexian Altar. replace it with Coat of Arms. or if you really need the extra mana Pyramid of the Pantheon
Ruination. i'll admit i am on the fence about this. on one hand you can destroy all non-basic lands (even yours) but on the other it is useless if Blood Moon is in play. if you drop it, Massive Raid should take it's place.
Skirk Fire Marshal. this guy. while yes he is a great card he will blow everything and everyone up after tapping like 10-15 goblins. and yes Eldrazi Monument gives your creatures indestructible it does not give you indestructible. so if you have less life than the opponent then this is a bad card. so keep him but if he gets out of hand then put in Goblin Spymaster he may seem odd at first but by forcing your opponent to attack you you can block the attacks with several dozen tokens and have enough for a counter attack. just be careful with flyers.
Tuktuk Scrapper. without other allies he is just another 2/2 goblin. and 4 mana is a bit much for a plain 2/2 goblin (no offense Goblin Berserker). switch him with Goblin Mountaineer. a good scout goblin and is unblockable if Blood Moon is active and opponent has any non-basic lands.
Ancient Tomb. again, unless your life cranks up drastically each turn it will drain you.
Hall of the Bandit Lord. same reason.
Haunted Fengraf. the creature you get back is random and only a one time thing. not worth it.
3 years ago
You're average CMC is really good, but I am going to recommend some "considerably", staple cards that will raise it (probably only by 0.20).
And most importantly, Moggcatcher. Moggcatcher flat out puts a goblin into play for . No "casting", which means no countering.
Goblin Guide is way too expensive for what it does, but it does give you insight to what your opponent plays, and it has good P/T for its price, as well as haste.
Lastly, Cavern of Souls is fantastic. No countering your good ol' goblins.
This is just food for thought, and if you like any of it, you could choose whatever you want to take out (of course). I just threw out what I considered your "weaker" cards. Love seeing good-looking goblin decks!
4 years ago
A list of some creatures you might want to consider:
- Akki Avalanchers: Sacrificing lands is suuper sketchy, but if your opponent has nothing and you need two more power to get the kill, you'll sac the land.
- Boros Recruit: First strike is always good
- Flamekin Brawler: Much like Akki Avalanchers, this guy comes with an activated ability (firebreathing) you probably don't want to use, but if its the difference between winning and losing, you'll be glad you have it
- Goblin Balloon Brigade: once again, paying mana sucks, but flying is the type of thing that can be the difference between winning and losing
- Goblin Cohort: Why get a 1/1 for 1 when you can have a 2/2 for 1? I don't think the downside should slow you down in this deck. Worth noting that Mogg Conscripts can be copies 4-8 if you want
- Goblin Mountaineer: Mountainwalk might randomly win the game
- Goblin Sledder: turn extra creatures into pump spells
- Insolent Neonate: menace if you need to attack with him, rummage if you're not
- Kolaghan Stormsinger: Haste built in
- Mogg Fanatic: also a ping
- Mudbutton Clanger: if you don't like Goblin Cohort this creature doesnt have the downside, but also isnt always a 2/2
- Skirk Prospector: another way to make more mana. This one feels like it could really improve the deck's performance if you leave Dragon Mantle in, by letting you stock up mana in early turns by casting a hand full of creatures
- Spark Elemental: 3 power, haste and trample, but you only get 1 shot
4 years ago
Also I think you are lacking in the goblin power department. Alot of 1/1 for 1 that just dont have EDH staying power. Turn 5+ you are not going to be happy to draw and play: Goblin Glory Chaser, Goblin Mountaineer, Mogg Fanatic, Mogg Sentry, Foundry Street Denizen or Mudbrawler Cohort and Goblin Striker.
I would recommend replacements like: Goblin Matron, Goblin Recruiter, Goblin Sharpshooter, Goblin Welder, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Mogg War Marshal, Rabble-Rouser, Reckless Bushwhacker, Spikeshot Elder, Taurean Mauler, Caterwauling Boggart, Goblin Assassin, Goblin Heelcutter, Beetleback Chief, Sensation Gorger, and maybe Moggcatcher.
I know there are alot of choices there, but there are muuuuuch better goblins than the ones on your list right now, and with EDH you want long term power, not turn 3 kills.