|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Speed vs Cunning||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins||Uncommon|
|Promo set for Gatherer||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Goblin
Goblin spells you cast cost less to cast.
Goblin creatures you control have haste.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||pskinn01 , maR2307 , Lindough , Kvothe1115 , pokemate0 , philktoken8998 , Swamy , , Sparky41 , TehDelta , LTmiller , mazrimtaim , rebelteddybear , thekingpinBR , fireborne1986 , Spinalripper , Hootiequack , DudeMan1031 , mcstang1986 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret|
Goblin Warchief Discussion
3 weeks ago
oh yeah Goblin Warchief is not modern legal
1 month ago
In case you were wondering how he gets Krenko out that early, if I'm unable to block his initial Goblin Lackey attack, he can put a goblin out for free. He also uses Goblin Matron and Goblin Warchief to ensure he gets Krenko in hand, and to reduce mana costs. Maybe "turn 4" is a bit of an exaggeration, that's only on the off-chance that I'm unable to block the Lackey's initial attack.
1 month ago
If your goal is to adapt the deck to different playstyles, then I have some hate bears to recommend to you:
Gaddock Teeg is first and foremost. Thalia, Heretic Cathar is also quite strong and can give you time to respond to, say, a Krenko, Mob Boss deck producing 50+ goblin tokens with haste by controlling Umbral Mantle and Goblin Warchief, that would otherwise get a swift win by killing you (they can't all swing if they enter tapped, right?). This gives you another turn you would not have normally had to board wipe, cast a creature that may stymie that plan, etc..
Kataki, War's Wage is incredible. You barely run any artifacts, and taxing specific strategies can give you a strong edge (it hurts Arcum Dagsson and Sharuum the Hegemon, Voltron strategies that use equipment, etc.).
As for cuts to fit these in:
Mirri can go. She's just a beater, and you can do better than a beater. Giving her slot to Dosan or Kataki would be very beneficial for your deck.
Jareth, Leonine Titan is mediocre. Its only effective as a blocker, and you have creatures that already do that better. Thalia would be much lower in mana cost, slow down your opponents nonbasic lands, and shut off your opponent's creatures with haste. That's huge.
I also feel like you could do better than Jugan the Rising Star by slotting the other of Dosan or Kataki here: Much lower mana cost, more relevant abilities (5 +1/+1 counters isn't really that much).
That'd help lower your mana curve a little bit, as it's absurdly high right now which doesn't help the specific weaknesses this deck has against certain strategies, specifically Voltron.
2 months ago
I am not particularly interested in either goblins or merfolk, so I am not interested in this set, but I do hope for some good reprints. I believe that it is safe to presume that Lord of Atlantis, Goblin King, Goblin Warchief, Goblin Chieftain, and/or Goblin War Drums will be in this set, and Master of Waves would be very nice, as well. I shall predict that the "face cards" shall be Talrand, Sky Summoner and Krenko, Mob Boss, because they are two of the best representatives of their respective creature types.
2 months ago
Try swapping out Dragon Fodder in favor of Mogg War Marshal. MWM's casting cost (which is the same as DF's) can be lowered by Goblin Warchief's ability. It can be searched for, via Goblin Matron's ability, while Fodder can not. And on the next turn after you play MWM, if you opt to ignore his Echo cost, he still replaces himself with another 1/1 body anyway. Thus, if you have a sac outlet in hand, i.e. Goblin Grenade, you can play MWM, immediately sac it to the Grenade, and he'll immediately replace himself, allowing you to still have the same number of goblins in play as before you cast the Grenade. Not to mention that that extra token coming into play, when MWM dies or gets sacced, serves as another trigger for Impact Tremors.
Tl;dr version: Play Mogg War Marshal instead of Dragon Fodder, because at worst, you'll get exactly the same for the same mana cost, but you may get more for your mana, and it has more interactions with other stuff in the deck.
3 months ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.
3 months ago
Hello and welcome back to the game :)
I do like where you are going with this deck idea but there are a lot of improvements to be made. Before I give any niche card suggestions, I'd like you to tell us in what environment will you be playing with the deck (e.g. with friends at home, at your LGS, 1v1, multiplayer e.t.c.) as well as set a budget per card (e.g. no more than $5 or $10 per card) and in general, what do you want the deck to do? (overwhelm people with mogs? sacrificial shenanigans? both? more than these?). There's a plethora of very strong card that could fit your colours and thematic, but instead of putting random cards here, i'd prefer giving you suggestions that fit what you want to do. Nevertheless, just to give you some ideas: Attrition, Death Pits of Rath, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Descent of the Dragons, Dictate of Erebos and many others.
In addition to those I'd consider running Moggcatcher and Skirk Fire Marshal in any goblin deck. The first one, albeit not a goblin, can really help you pull out your most needed creature at every given time. Boggart Shenanigans can be a potentially strong card. The same can be said for Goblin Matron.
3 months ago
Vandalblast is a thing you want also
Hot Soup is bad do not play it