|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Speed vs Cunning||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins||Uncommon|
|Promo set for Gatherer||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Goblin
Goblin spells you cast cost less to cast.
Goblin creatures you control have haste.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||pskinn01 , maR2307 , Sparky41 , Lindough , Kvothe1115 , , philktoken8998 , LTmiller , Swamy , rebelteddybear , thekingpinBR , fireborne1986 , Spinalripper , Hootiequack , DudeMan1031 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret|
Goblin Warchief Discussion
2 weeks ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.
2 weeks ago
Hello and welcome back to the game :)
I do like where you are going with this deck idea but there are a lot of improvements to be made. Before I give any niche card suggestions, I'd like you to tell us in what environment will you be playing with the deck (e.g. with friends at home, at your LGS, 1v1, multiplayer e.t.c.) as well as set a budget per card (e.g. no more than $5 or $10 per card) and in general, what do you want the deck to do? (overwhelm people with mogs? sacrificial shenanigans? both? more than these?). There's a plethora of very strong card that could fit your colours and thematic, but instead of putting random cards here, i'd prefer giving you suggestions that fit what you want to do. Nevertheless, just to give you some ideas: Attrition, Death Pits of Rath, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Descent of the Dragons, Dictate of Erebos and many others.
In addition to those I'd consider running Moggcatcher and Skirk Fire Marshal in any goblin deck. The first one, albeit not a goblin, can really help you pull out your most needed creature at every given time. Boggart Shenanigans can be a potentially strong card. The same can be said for Goblin Matron.
2 weeks ago
Vandalblast is a thing you want also
Hot Soup is bad do not play it
2 weeks ago
That's my point. There are very situational effects that might help me use the general's ability sometimes, but they require a lot of set up to turn my 3 mana 2/1 into a 3 mana 4/3, which by today's standards isn't even very tempting.
I thought of those tokens until EOT as a way to go, yes, and specially because running Sundial of the Infinite would also enable those Take an Extra Turn + You lose the game spells, but in the end it was too much of a build around and too easily disrupted to feel like the best way to go with it.
Specially given that the Brothers have only 1 toughness naturally and in response to anything I do it can be killed so easily. Not a lot of Shocks or even Lightning Bolts in Commander, but any Walking Ballista or Triskelion would do the job, and even buffed it would still die to anything in combat.
I'm trying to make the most out of the 99 and it is likely that I end up only casting the general to chump block something dangerous keeping my most relevant creatures alive (and even so, odds are I have enough goblin tokens to deal with that anyway). I have a Kydele+Akiri Deck that is built around artifacts, and even so I cast Akiri, Line-Slinger more as a chump blocker than an actual voltron threat, and looking at Brothers Yamazaki I don't see any incentive to build the deck around commander damage.
My main concern is that, not relying on a strong general, the strategy in my 99 ends up a bit more split. Say if I were to run Krenko, Mob Boss as a general: the deck would be plain and simply goblin tribal. If I am not running him as a general, I might not be able to find it every game, and so, going full on goblin tribal is riskier, there are other cards and other forms of support that would benefit me more often than, lets say a goblin lord (Caged Sun over Goblin Chieftain + Goblin Warchief for instance), but I am still focusing on goblins because that's where the mono red EDH goodstuff is mostly, and when I do draw into my best ones, they are not as powerful and imposing as they are in that said Krenko, Mob Boss deck.
Maybe the deck works fine as is, but it doesn't feel awesome, it doesn't look like it's "solved", it's just an amalgam of red cards. It might work fine but it's not a deck that would appeal to me if I didn't got it in luck, and since to me that's most of what EDH is about, playing something that speaks to you, not being able to make the deck appealing for me makes it weird and probably makes me feel that the deck is worse than it actually will be in play.
Anyway, I'm going on a rant already. I really appreciate your insights! Every help means a lot while building this deck! Thank you!
2 weeks ago
Goblin Warchief is banned in modern. There is a pretty established modern mono red goblin archetype that is fast and fun to play. It's called 8-whack usually. you have the goblins guides already which are the most expensive part. You can change the side board to anything you want to for your local meta. Here is my list for 8 whack. See if it can give you some ideas http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-03-17-aGn-8-whack/
3 weeks ago
First up. A horde is a group of people. A hploard is what a dragon sleeps on.
Thirdly for a horde you are kinda creature and creature support light. Is this for casual or actual modern?
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
I usually play with the Goblin Warchief in my actual deck, but when I looked at the legality of my deck here (on TappedOut), it was not legal because of warchief and other minor cards.I was looking in the official Ban List published by the Wizards and he wasn't there... I want to know why he is banned here and not on the Wizards's ban list?