Creature — Leech
Squelching Leeches's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Swamps you control.
Combos Browse all
|Quest Magic RPG||Legal|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Squelching Leeches occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Squelching Leeches Discussion
1 month ago
Low-mana deathtouch is an easy solve, and you can often get more than just that if you look hard enough.
Vampire of the Dire Moon springs to mind for certain, Knight of the Ebon Legion can be granted Deathtouch off his activated ability (and he's just generally pretty awesome overall for his mana cost), and then there's just general stuff like Typhoid Rats.
I would also trade out your 2x Nightveil Specter for 2 more Geralf's Messenger. Nightveil Specter is cool and all, but it doesn't really help you a ton in a Mono-Color deck where you can only cast Black spells to begin with. I get that you can possibly exile (and then play) opponent's land in order to help work around this, but it seems clunky whereas Geralf's has Undying and can then be combo'd with cards like Bone Splinters and Village Rites to help grant you some much-needed Control and Card Draw (every deck needs a little). Plus his Undying works well with the synergy of the pseudo-boardwipes you're running in Sorcery already.
Wurmcoil Engine is just too clunky here and could easily go. 6-mana cost and no way to reduce it, plus his other ability isn't that great compared to what you could just play with a different card in his slot. Plus you've only got the one so it's very hit or miss now as it stands anyway. You don't even really need his Lifelink since you've already got 4x Vampire Nighthawk in there (always a solid call).
Squelching Leeches isn't that glamorous for its mana cost; even a 4-mana card like Dread Presence would help you a lot more. That, or this could be another good card to drop altogether in favor of something more mana-efficient.
Nyxathid I feel is just too unreliable for his mana cost too. He really needs to be paired into a Deck with Discard mechanics to ensure he's as powerful as possible. Card Draw is a fairly essential mechanic of any reliable deck (as I mentioned already), and so counting on the opponent having a small hand size with no means to ensure it yourself doesn't seem that great here. Also, he doesn't even have trample or lifelink or any other useful abilities to help make up for his unreliable pwr/tgh. (keep in mind his power/toughness updates constantly, so if an opponent can draw up to 8 or more cards, he dies outright - even if they end up having to discard back down to max. hand size after).
I would personally not add Dark Ritual here as it won't help you all that much without some card draw - you're better off just picking at most 2 creatures with 4 or more mana cost and cutting everything else down to 3 or less. For instance, Archfiend of Depravity is a completely solid card, but I'm not sure he's needed when you've already got 3x Phyrexian Obliterator in there with the potential to be even more devastating (and for less mana cost no less). Additionally, the Obliterator cannot make you sacrifice your own creatures, unlike the Archfiend. This adds to the benefit of having multiples in play and restricts your overall build less too.
1 month ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
1 year ago
got my hands on a promo copy of Squelching Leeches !
Heres my deck Are you Swamped yet? | Mono-B voltrom PDH
1 year ago
I like what you got going on here. Some cards I run in my mono black devotion that you could utilize as well are: Gifted Aetherborn , Hypnotic Specter , Ravenous Chupacabra , Squelching Leeches and possibly Bone Picker . I like the idea of Languish but I don't like killing off my own creatures; so maybe Grasp of Darkness for target removal. I'd definitely fit in at least 2 Cabal Stronghold .
1 year ago
Erebos, God of the Dead
would be a perfect fit here.
Gatekeeper of Malakir
are both high-devotion powerhouses. If you feel like shelling out the cash,
would be disgusting in here.
You could also use some more efficient and effective removal. Go for the Throat , Victim of Night , Fatal Push , and Hero's Downfall are all great options you have available to you. I'd look to play 6-8 pieces of removal in a deck like this.
If I were you, my changes to the deck would look something like this:
OUT: 1x Abhorrent Overlord , 1x Disciple of Phenax , 2x Korlash, Heir to Blackblade , 2x Squelching Leeches , 1x Barter in Blood , 1x Corrupt , 1x March of the Returned , 1x Mind Rot , 1x Sanguimancy , 1x Quag Sickness , 2x Sinister Possession , 1x Murder , and 1x Sands of Delirium .
IN: 3x Fatal Push , 3x Go for the Throat , 2x Erebos, God of the Dead , 2x Phyrexian Obliterator , 3x Gatekeeper of Malakir , and 3x Geralf's Messenger .
That's my take, anyway. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun!
2 years ago
You're playing mono black and have nothing on 4 mana. How about playing Squelching Leeches?
2 years ago
Squelching Leeches and Nightmare are both pretty bad cards. Their effect isn't that strong, and you can get better things for that amount of mana. Might I suggest you go the Devotion route with Grey Merchant of Asphodel, Dread Shade, Gifted Aetherborn, Geralf's Messenger, and Vampire Cutthroat. If budget is not an issue, Phyrexian Obliterator...all day, every day. If it is, then Desecration Demon is an amazing choice.
I would also change your tags. They're very misleading. You have "Casual" AND "Competitive" in there, when this deck is nowhere close to being able to compete in a competitive format. If you want it to be aggro then you really need to lower the average mana cost of the deck. Aggressive decks win by turn five at the VERY latest, and this deck isn't doing that. It's also not a dragons deck, nor is it Suicide Black. Suicide Black revolves around a card called Death's Shadow or Asylum Visitor. Basically they win as quickly as possible without putting up any defenses.