Creature — Elf
When Wirewood Herald dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield), you may search your library for an Elf card, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks Anthology (DD3)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins (EVG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Wirewood Herald occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Wirewood Herald Discussion
4 months ago
poorpinkus, I just recently made a Kraj deck for the same reason, to see it grow beyond control because it was designed to choose its own evolution. Doi. I have been having the same results at the moment (alpha version of the deck) and that Kraj kicks off by turn 6 or 7: I am trying to cut that down to a turn or two sooner. One thought I had was increasing creature ramp. I saw you have a 'Transmute' card, I use that mechanic heavily in another deck (Nekusar RBU) specifically to get my combo items within the 2, 3 and 4 CMC range.
Here is my deck: Kraj-Maga Tap Dancing
You'll see about 3 or more versions of the same mechanic within the deck, especially with creatures. One of the fastest guarantee win items is the tap-to-ping creatures. Just tap once, deal damage to creature or player (must include player) and there you have it. At this point I have been considering just adding more creature ramp, transmute spells, creature tutor and counter spells.
Creature ramp is the big money money of the deck and gives you a chance to bring Kraj out sooner and as you noticed, the moment Kraj is in play it just goes off. For the creature ramp though I have been trying to stick to the 2-or-more mana per tap creatures. Gyre Sage, Gyre Engineer, Incubation Druid are great since the last two can give easier access to infinite untap andthough the Engineer will produce infinite colorless/green mana if you have a single blue untap ability ready. Ilysian Caryatid is another good option for potentially having 2 blue mana (with Kraj in play) to grant true unlimited mana for all colors. But I see you've already solved the mana conversion problem with Orochi Leafcaller and Pili-Pala (sick card for this deck).
Transmute and Tutor will get you what you need (obviously) and I've added as many ways as I can to do just that. I understand though you're using a budget to keep this deck real and some tutor spells are really pricey. Chord of Calling, Green Sun's Zenith, Birthing Pod are good but are probably out of budget, but Prime Speaker Vannifar has dropped considerably and Neoform is a similar outlet. Vannifar could be a superior solution to a Kraj deck because with a +1/+1 counter on her you could have infinite untap-access to her ability, but only in sorcery speed. Another star contender is Momir Vig, Simic Visionary but for Momir to really be effective he relies on both green and blue creature spells. A way around this is using spells that "change the text of target permanent" cards like Trait Doctoring or Whim of Volrath which also has a buyback but that already has too much work involved around a 'guest star' creature. Cool thing about Momir and Vannifar: they are both elves, so if yo have a sac outlet you can add Wirewood Herald that will tutor one of them to your hand. Transmute is also a good way around your deck, simply find your win condition creature combos by CMC and get the Transmutes you need. My deck's winning combos are almost all between 2 and 4 mana, I honestly don't think I need anything over that cost, one being Endbringer at 6 CMC because there are more tap-ping guys that cost less but honestly I am considering dropping it for another ramp creature or counter spell, granted its also a draw-card source.. On to Counter spells...
I am seeing a lot of "trample" and "unblockable" but honestly this experimental blob needs to just sit and make magic happen: no need for attackers. It is far too easy to get what you need in play and use the activated ability to achieve victory; that being said, enter the counter-turtle! Infinite mana seems to be the fastest thing I can get rolling for this guy, once that happens its a matter of time before the other shoe drops for a win, a strategy is to play safe and deny as many things as possible coming your way or in the way of a boardwipe. Rake up as many counterspells as you can, especially the 'split second' ones like Last Word. Another route for spells is kicker, multikicker and strive since mana 'ain't no thang' to Kraj.
All other spells or abilities that give more +1/+1 counters and such I feel are wasted placement cards because once Kraj gets untapping things get out of hand immediately. But, Grafting is definitely the way to at least get that started so it can save you a step if you're looking for the budget route. For example, Doubling Season: sweet card but we don't make tokens and all I need is one +1/+1 counter, not double. But, I do have Vigean Hydropon to distribute +1/+1 counters to my homies entering the battlefield. In several cases the 'Graft' option can work with Momir Vig if he's in play since some are blue/green creatures.
These are all really just ideas and options I've seen work for me but I'm also bouncing them to get feedback and find that chunk of fat that can be trimmed to make a leaner and meaner Experiment Kraj deck. Essentially all my cards involve the greatest of the greatest that I am assuming I have infinite mana, untaps, etc. instead of the 'once per turn'. I want everything, all the time and without end. Good ol' "Nah brah thanks, I'm here to break the game not have tea" attitude.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading the great wall-o-text!
5 months ago
i came up with a soutilon to the land prroblem i took out one of the Joraga Warcaller and swaped it with Greenseeker so if if im haveing problems with land gain i can bring to my hand from deck this way and i can get Greenseeker with the Elvish Harbinger and Wirewood Herald test ou tthe deck and see what you think with these changes or should i revert it back
5 months ago
One problem I see with the deck is that you're overestimating how often you can get a mana dork, and for any format with cheep removal, they can be dealt with very easily. One Fatal Push is enough to set you back a good amount of turns until you can get a land to cast your other elves.
Other than that the deck is really explosive, using play tester I 'Managed' to use Genesis Wave to play the entire deck and swing for over 200 damage.
7 months ago
Hey, nice start. Unfortunately you can't play Rhys the Redeemed with Marwyn as General because Rhys has white in it's color identity and Marwyn is only mono green. With Elves the more one drops you can add the better especially if they can make mana.
- Fyndhorn Elves : errata to Elf Druid.
- Joraga Treespeaker
- Quirion Ranger : can untap Marwyn.
- Birchlore Rangers : errata to Elf Druid.
- Boreal Druid
Elves have a real problem without a lot draw because you can run out of steam and when that happens having a lot of mana isn't doing much. Repeatable sources of draw that care about creatures are great with Elves. Draw that's not repeatable is fine too.
- Beast Whisperer : it's a Druid.
- Guardian Project
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Shamanic Revelation
Temur Sabertooth is an excellent support creature with Elves as a mana sink. This guy makes creatures who have an ETB ability extra good.
Most tutors in green are expensive price, but there's a few that aren't.
- Fauna Shaman : can be a repeatable creature tutor.
- Wirewood Herald : it dies and you tutor for another Elf.
- Elvish Harbinger : combine with Sabertooth for a repeatable Elf tutor.
- Eldritch Evolution : puts the creature you tutor for onto the battlefield. Sac a one drop to get Elvish Archdruid, sac a three drop to get Gilt-Leaf Archdruid.
- Shared Summons : instant, getting two creatures for five mana.
Try to replace land ramp sorceries with Elves who land ramp.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Rhys the Redeemed
- Oath of Nissa
- Mantle of Webs
- Savage Silhouette
- Nissa, Worldwaker
- Wild Instincts
- Rampant Growth
- Nissa's Pilgrimage
- Turntimber Ranger
- Joraga Bard
- Vastwood Animist
- Tajuru Archer
- Ooze Garden
- Lifespring Druid
- Door of Destinies
Consider cutting the Ally theme? This theme is not needed with Elves and there's not enough Allies here to support it. Good luck with your deck.
10 months ago
Hey, nice version of Freyalise.
I would stay away from artifact ramp that doesn't make green mana. It's just not needed, green mana is too important and Elves calling card is making mana so you shouldn't have any trouble doing that. Joraga Treespeaker can be pretty powerful ramp one drop Elf. Arbor Elf is another one drop mana Elf. Land ramp spells are the same, while they can get you a Forest then aren't Elves. Instead play Elves who can land ramp or get you a Forest: Wood Elves , Farhaven Elf , Sylvan Ranger . Any time you can get an effect from a spell with an Elf then play the Elf instead.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Enter the Unknown
- Rampant Growth
- Kodama's Reach
- Thran Dynamo
- Lotus Bloom
Quirion Ranger , Wirewood Symbiote and Wirewood Lodge can be busted with Archdruid and Priest to make a lot of green mana even infinite mana with Umbral Mantle or budget Sword of the Paruns . Ranger and Symbiote together combo which can be good with an Elf who has an ETB (enter the battlefield) ability such as Visionary or Reclamation Sage .
Cards to consider cutting:
- Terramorphic Expanse
- Evolving Wilds
- Hunting Triad
- Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar
Fauna Shaman , Elvish Harbinger , Wirewood Herald and Fierce Empath are Elf creature tutors to tutor for an Elf or a finisher creature. Fauna can be repeatable creature tutor getting into your hand the Elves you want. I like Genesis with Fauna because Fauna can put it into your graveyard which then becomes a repeatable way to recur Elves from your graveyard, board wipe insurance.
Herald can be some more board wipe insurance because when it dies you get to tutor for an Elf. Empath can tutor for Regal Force who's good mass draw card with Elves or Ibex or Vorinclex. Yes, Freyalise's -6 is a mass draw effect, but this effect is a worth having some redundancy since since it's so good with Elves.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Kalonian Twingrove
- Elvish Piper
- Drove of Elves
- Mul Daya Channelers
- Ambush Commander
Elves have a tendency to run out of steam if you don't have a repeatable draw engine. Consider Beast Whisperer , Lifecrafter's Bestiary , Skullclamp ? Skullcamp is busted draw with Freyalise's ability to make 1/1 Elf tokens. It and Bestiary are artifacts within the budget here that are worth playing.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Primeval Bounty
- Vivien of the Arkbow
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
I offer more advice if you would like it. Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
I like this deck, but I'd be a bit worried that there may not be enough ways to get around blockers in there, has that ever been a problem? Wirewood Herald could be used to search your library for a Taunting Elf (you're kind of lacking a way to sac it though), or alternatively, Shinen of Life's Roar is cheap and has the same ability. I also feel like Tel-Jilad Fallen is quite expensive and would probably prefer Blight Mamba or Ichorclaw Myr , although you do at least have some ramp, so it might be fine.
1 year ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
1 year ago
Elvish Herder may be better than Eldrazi Devastator since it can give your lands trample too and is an elf. My friend runs a similar, non-pauper, list that runs Wirewood Herald and Seeker of Skybreak , which could be interesting inclusions in the deck.