|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins (EVG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf
When Wirewood Herald dies, you may search your library for an Elf card, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Wirewood Herald Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, nice version of Freyalise.
I would stay away from artifact ramp that doesn't make green mana. It's just not needed, green mana is too important and Elves calling card is making mana so you shouldn't have any trouble doing that. Joraga Treespeaker can be pretty powerful ramp one drop Elf. Arbor Elf is another one drop mana Elf. Land ramp spells are the same, while they can get you a Forest then aren't Elves. Instead play Elves who can land ramp or get you a Forest: Wood Elves , Farhaven Elf , Sylvan Ranger . Any time you can get an effect from a spell with an Elf then play the Elf instead.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Enter the Unknown
- Rampant Growth
- Kodama's Reach
- Thran Dynamo
- Lotus Bloom
Quirion Ranger , Wirewood Symbiote and Wirewood Lodge can be busted with Archdruid and Priest to make a lot of green mana even infinite mana with Umbral Mantle or budget Sword of the Paruns . Ranger and Symbiote together combo which can be good with an Elf who has an ETB (enter the battlefield) ability such as Visionary or Reclamation Sage .
Cards to consider cutting:
- Terramorphic Expanse
- Evolving Wilds
- Hunting Triad
- Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar
Fauna Shaman , Elvish Harbinger , Wirewood Herald and Fierce Empath are Elf creature tutors to tutor for an Elf or a finisher creature. Fauna can be repeatable creature tutor getting into your hand the Elves you want. I like Genesis with Fauna because Fauna can put it into your graveyard which then becomes a repeatable way to recur Elves from your graveyard, board wipe insurance.
Herald can be some more board wipe insurance because when it dies you get to tutor for an Elf. Empath can tutor for Regal Force who's good mass draw card with Elves or Ibex or Vorinclex. Yes, Freyalise's -6 is a mass draw effect, but this effect is a worth having some redundancy since since it's so good with Elves.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Kalonian Twingrove
- Elvish Piper
- Drove of Elves
- Mul Daya Channelers
- Ambush Commander
Elves have a tendency to run out of steam if you don't have a repeatable draw engine. Consider Beast Whisperer , Lifecrafter's Bestiary , Skullclamp ? Skullcamp is busted draw with Freyalise's ability to make 1/1 Elf tokens. It and Bestiary are artifacts within the budget here that are worth playing.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Primeval Bounty
- Vivien of the Arkbow
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
I offer more advice if you would like it. Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
I like this deck, but I'd be a bit worried that there may not be enough ways to get around blockers in there, has that ever been a problem? Wirewood Herald could be used to search your library for a Taunting Elf (you're kind of lacking a way to sac it though), or alternatively, Shinen of Life's Roar is cheap and has the same ability. I also feel like Tel-Jilad Fallen is quite expensive and would probably prefer Blight Mamba or Ichorclaw Myr , although you do at least have some ramp, so it might be fine.
8 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
8 months ago
Elvish Herder may be better than Eldrazi Devastator since it can give your lands trample too and is an elf. My friend runs a similar, non-pauper, list that runs Wirewood Herald and Seeker of Skybreak , which could be interesting inclusions in the deck.
10 months ago
Hey, this is a good start, nice base of Elves and interesting choice to use Muldrotha as Commander for tribal Elves; I haven't seen this before. When I see something new with Elves I get excited :) Elves having access to both blue and black gives you some great options of under played Simic and Golgari Elves. Even though this is Elves and ramp, consider expanding on the idea that Muldrotha's ability lets you play multiple types of permanent cards not just creatures from your graveyard even the same turn? You can only play one creature a turn from the graveyard with Muldrotha unless that creature is an artifact creature or enchantment creature, but Elves have neither. There's only 5 nonland cards that are permanents that aren't creatures here.
Consider expanding on the use of enchantments? I'm not saying to cut a lot of Elves you still want them, but have a more well rounded mix of nonland permanent cards to also take better advantage of Muldrotha as Commander. Consider this ratio: 35 lands/30 creatures/10-15 enchantments/5-10 artifacts/5 instants/5 sorceries? Instead of playing a lot of instants and sorceries instead play enchantments that do the same thing or nearly equal effects. For instance Unearth is a good card for reanimation, but so is Animate Dead and Animate Dead can be cast from your graveyard thanks to Muldrotha, where as Unearth outright can't.
All my card suggestions are budget, no card over $6 and most are $1 or less. Cards to consider adding:
- Ezuri, Renegade Leader
- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
- Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Underrealm Lich
- Joraga Treespeaker
- Elves of Deep Shadow
- Quirion Ranger
- Beast Whisperer
- Imperious Perfect
- Elvish Clancaller
- Reclamation Sage
- Wirewood Herald
- Farhaven Elf
Ezuri is a huge payoff for playing tribal Elves and ramp, repeatable Overrun a ton of times and attack with a huge trampling Elf army. Momir's ability seems great with Muldrotha since you can play green and blue cards from your graveyard with her. Other cards that give you benefits when you cast creatures such as Beast Whisperer, Lifecrafter's Bestiary seem excellent with Muldrotha and Elves. You're still casting creatures from your graveyard with Muldrotha even though her ability says play, that still means cast. The only reason her ability says play and not cast is because you can play a land, you can't cast a land. Underrealm can be repeatable source of draw/card advantage and adds self-mill which is good with Muldrotha.
- Animate Dead
- Seal of Primordium
- Secrets of the Dead
- Pernicious Deed
- Mystic Remora
- Vessel of Nascency
- The Eldest Reborn
- Song of Freyalise
- Commander's Sphere
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Chromatic Lantern
- Wirewood Symbiote
- Regal Force
- Eternal Witness
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Fleshbag Marauder
- Viscera Seer
- Thunderfoot Baloth
Other than Blightsteel Colossus and Rune-Scarred Demon the other big creatures you're trying to ramp into aren't really worth it because they're just big creatures who don't give you any value. With Muldrotha you can really take advantage of creatures who give you value when they ETB (enter the battlefield) or die because you can potentially repeatedly play them each turn from your graveyard. Getting a continuous source of value from many single cards is very good in Commander. Symbiote and Quirion Ranger is a combo with Archdruid/Priest/Channeler letting you tap and untap them many times a turn to make a lot of mana.
As far as playing three colors with Elves it can be problematic because green is the most important color to be able to cast the one drop green Elves consistently you need a ton of Forests. My advice is to play primarily green (20x Forests) and just light splash the two other colors (2x Swamps, 2x Islands and 11-12x dual lands) in the manabase. Joiner Adept and Lantern can be a huge help here with land color fixing. It's better to play more Forests and then use other cards to get blue and black such as Tribe Elder, Farhaven, etc.
Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
Just watched your Youtube video. I had already recognized that Jodah-Rector-Flash-Omniscience had potential, but without thinking about the actual lines in detail.
I was skeptical at first about Tidespout Tyrant, but it made sense in the end.
Still, there are two things I would like to see to improve the deck:
1) A way to win off of Flash-Hulk even if those are the last two cards in your hand
So far, the best line I could come up with is the following: - Flash in Protean Hulk - Find Viscera Seer and Body Double, copying Protean Hulk - Sac Body Double, find Academy Rector and Wirewood Herald - Sac Academy Rector to find Omniscience - Sac Wirewood Herald to find Fierce Empath - Play Fierce Empath with Omniscience to find Razaketh, the Foulblooded - Play Razaketh, the Foulblooded, sac Fierce Empath to find any tutor to keep going
This requires a lot of extra slots, so I think there might be a better way
2) A way to win that doesn't rely on the graveyard
I'm also looking to get rid of the Wishes, since I think your situation is rather unique.
1 year ago
FiendishElf, I agree that Wirewood Herald is one of the weaker guys in the deck, and he's coming out for the new Dominaria elves. The card has good utility if you don't have all of the green tutors, but now since I do, he lost his purpose. Thanks for pointing that out!
1 year ago
Red seems good for Impact Tremors and Hissing Iguanar than Commune with the Gods finds all your combo pieces and can even mill Faithless Looting for a free flashback.
Also, Ivy Lane Denizen and Safehold Elite are the core of your combo, why not run 4 copies of Wirewood Herald as he finds them both?
Wirewood Herald occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%