|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Tempest Remastered (TPR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
City of Traitors
When you play another land, sacrifice City of Traitors.
: Add to your mana pool.
City of Traitors Discussion
2 weeks ago
You're going to have to run a lot of symmetrical effects (hit all players) and then run cards to get around them yourself. In a 4 player pod, if you 1 for 1 trade cards from hand for opponents lands, you're going to be really far behind. You start with 7 cards, while your opponents collectively have 21 cards. 1 for 1 trades are not the way to go about building this deck.
Now, some ways to negate the drawback
- Boros Garrison and other bouncelands -> lets you get more from untapping just 1 land, and the bounce resets a land to enter untapped again
- Lands that tap for 2+ mana -> Ancient Tomb City of Traitors Gaea's Cradle most of these are expensive-ish. Also check out depletion lands Remote Farm its a full cycle and they cheap.
- Permanent untap effects -> Seedborn Muse and similar
- Lots of artifact or creature based mana. Signets and Talismans are great in five color budget.
Next, some cards that destroy lands or hate on lands. Armageddon Boil Choke Flashfires Acid Rain Ravages of War Destructive Force Contamination Blood Moon Magus of the Moon Tsabo's Web Omen of Fire Strip Mine Wasteland Impending Disaster Tectonic Break Ruination Wildfire
Then we run some cards that let us recur lands, or like when lands break Ramunap Excavator Crucible of Worlds Life from the Loam Terravore The Gitrog Monster Titania, Protector of Argoth Splendid Reclamation
Add some lands matter cards, some ramp, and some good beaters, and you have a deck.
2 months ago
@ ritz_crackaz : well, depends on what you are missing, but if it is something like - Mox Diamond , - Mox Pearl , - Mana Crypt , - City of Traitors , I think you would want to add replacement points in Sol Ring and Strip Mine if you have access to them. Even Mana Vault could be okay but not necessary IMO. Lotus Petal is another option for fast-mana alternatives.
If you wanted some other options for replacements for spells in the deck, I love Reality Smasher for some cheese and cards like Fiend Hunter and Banisher Priest can be solid. There's a pretty big list of great hate-bears that aren't in this list as well, like Vryn Wingmare and Sanctum Prelate . In the right meta, those cards are bonkers. Really stoked on the new card Charming Prince from Throne of Eldraine as well...
3 months ago
4 months ago
Fatal Push, Underground River, and Mental Misstep are under $5 dollars, so I'm not going to give replacements on those, but for Ancient Tomb , City of Traitors , Glimmervoid , Inkmoth Nexus , Mox Opal , and Mox Diamond , I'd replace those with 3 Islands and a Swamp and add a River of Tears and Spire of Industry .
For Force of Will , I'd use Steel Sabotage , it acts as an occasional counter and protection for your artifacts if you bounce them in response to removal, or to reuse them in case of Renaming a new card with Revoker or getting another cast trigger on Sai, etc.
4 months ago
Sorry, allow me to clarify; I have most of the deck, minus some of the more expensive pieces, specifically:
Those are the ones I know off of memory that aren't in my collection, or are above 5$ that I don't have. Steel Overseer getting reprinted makes it easier to get a hold of it.
4 months ago
KailDaemon Yah, those were my thoughts also.
As for lands, I might have mentioned that I'm an Arcum Dagsson player, so I know our playstyles will be different. However, have you ever considered manlands? They are a necessity for me, as I sacrifice them to Arcum, but they can also be used in a pinch as chump blockers and for metalcraft. Inkmoth Nexus and Blinkmoth Nexus are two examples. On a side note, my playstyle is rush out Arcum, then combo out. So some super helpful lands are the sac lands that provide more than one mana. City of Traitors , Svyelunite Temple , Saprazzan Skerry , and Crystal Vein are a few examples that put me a turn ahead when I need it the most, and a turn behind when it doesn't matter any more. Yes some enter tapped, but I still find it worth it turn 1 to play them if it means a turn 2 commander.
I do however understand the Back to Basics playstyle of wanting to maximize your basic lands. My apologies if you are already using any of these, they just came to mind so I'm writing them down.
6 months ago
LiquidGaming Muzzio, Visionary Architect was actually an EDH general I was interested in playing for awhile (love the art on that card), but somehow forgot about. From your experience how similar does he play out to Arcum Dagsson ? I will definitely check out OathBreakerMTG.org pretty often to see what's new with OathBreaker and to see what's happening in the format.
Some other cards I thought might be worth considering for Jace's Paradigm Shift (some of these are quite expensive and probably aren't 100% needed, but these are all my thoughts):
2) Mission Briefing , personally I prefer this over Snapcaster Mage , it's recursion and has the ability to get you past 2 dead draws or give you the satisfaction of knowing you will get a good draw next (not sure what to cut though).
5) City of Traitors and Crystal Vein , they probably won't ever make it onto the list, but how have Lotus Petal and Grim Monolith been playing out for you? I would forget everything these cards say and read them as: "0... Only cast this spell if you haven't played a land this turn. You can't play a land this turn, add 2 to your mana pool." They seem like they might be worth considering once you read them from that point of view.
6) Magosi, the Waterveil , first I'm gonna say I have been in love with this card ever since I got into MTG so I might be giving it a little too much credit (but then again I was the player who loved The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale when I first started playing MTG, lol), I feel the majority of the time skipping a turn if you are playing control doesn't affect you too much, but being able to take an extra turn later on can be "pretty helpful."
11) Evolving Wilds , Terramorphic Expanse , Flood Plain , and Bad River , still on the fence about these, ocassional ETB tapped lands vs deck thinning (E Wilds and T Expanse are better by a slight bit, just to say), not sure on this one. What do you think?
12) Mana Severance , we all come to those points in a game where lands are dead, but not anymore.
14) Foresight and Manipulate Fate , being able to kill three dead draws and for 2 mana on a card that replaces itself seems great in a "53 card format" (us blue players always changing the stats to whatever we want whenever we want).
These were the main cards I thought could make it onto your list, but I'm still evaluating a couple others so I'll leave more comments with those if I feel they are actually worth considering.
6 months ago
Maybe cut down on your duals to put in a pair of City of Traitors ? Asides that, this seems pretty interesting, I'd love to see how this performs.
City of Traitors occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.57%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%