Land — Gate
Dimir Guildgate enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain or .
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Dimir Guildgate occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Dimir Guildgate Discussion
2 months ago
3 months ago
Hey, interesting start on a budget version of Kess.
Some cards to consider adding:
- Baleful Strix
- Gonti, Lord of Luxury
- Arcane Signet: at TCGPlayer can get it for less than $3.
- Izzet Signet
- Dimir Signet: can get it for less than $1.
- Rakdos Signet
- Crumbling Necropolis: Grixis Tri land.
- Shivan Reef: can get it for less than $1.
- Smoldering Marsh
- Grixis Panorama
- Opal Palace
- Dimir Aqueduct
- Izzet Boilerworks
- Rakdos Carnarium
Cards to consider cutting for these:
- Temple of the False God: it will not tap for mana until your fifth turn which is really bad.
- Vivid Marsh: when it runs out of two counters it can only tap for black.
- Dimir Guildgate
- Swiftwater Cliffs
- 4x Mountain
- Guard Gomazoa or Fog Bank
- Sage's Row Denizen
- Izzet Chronarch
- Mnemonic Wall
- Salvager of Secrets
- Possessed Skaab
Baleful Strix is a two drop who draws a card when it ETB, that way you can blink it with Deadeye to draw many cards. When you assemble Deadeye + Drake for infinite mana then being able to infinite blink a creature who draws can draw your win condition or draw and cast all cards in your deck. It's possible you could have a win condition already on the battlefield or in hand or graveyard with Kess, but if not then infinite blinking Strix lets you draw it.
Gonti, Lord of Luxury can be a win condition with Deadeye + Drake. It's not opponent mill, it's better, it's opponent exile their libraries and with infinite mana you get to cast all your opponent's cards. Arcane Signet , Izzet Signet, Dimir Signet, Rakdos Signet are some two drop mana rocks so you're not only relying on lands to have enough mana to cast cards.
I don't think you need to play so many creatures who recur an instant or sorcery because isn't that what Kess is for? That's the advantage of Kess, you get to cast an instant or sorcery from your graveyard on your turns, but once you resolve that spell is exiled. An exiled spell is no longer in your graveyard to recur to your hand. Archaeomancer is the only creature you want for this effect because you also have blink spells as well as Deadeye and creature recursion/reanimation spells for Archaeomancer.
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
3 months ago
4 months ago
also I would do some small mana fixing that is cheap like:
4 months ago
Hey, nice budget upgrades to the precon: Sea-Dasher, Reconnaissance, Brokkos, and Triome.
Elusive Tormentor Flip and Troll Ascetic are two budget creatures who you want to mutate with Otrimi. Tormentor for Insidious Mist when mutated with Otrimi makes a 6/6 hexproof, indestructible, unblockable, trample Beast. Discard a creature with mutate to flip Tormentor and recur that creature with Otrimi. The combination of hexproof and regenerate of Ascetic is powerful with mutate.
Hexproof is key and it's wanted because it protects the creature you're mutating to from targeted removal before it mutates and then after it protects the mutate pile so you can safely mutate again. Swiftfoot Boots can equip to any creature you control giving it hexproof.
( > = could replace)
- Elusive Tormentor Flip > Vorapede.
- Troll Ascetic > Vastwood Hydra.
- Swiftfoot Boots > Phantom Warrior.
The manabase of the precon is not good and you haven't changed it much. The color fixing is not good enough to be able to consistently cast Otrimi. Needing three different colors and having 11x basic Forests is going to be problematic without more color fixing.
On a budget, a manabase change to consider is to add the Bounce lands: Simic Growth Chamber, Dimir Aqueduct, Golgari Rot Farm in place of other lands that ETB tapped. With Bounce lands have to return a land you control to your hand (bounce) and they interact well with a basic land to bounce. They help with color fixing since you tap them for two different colors of mana.
- Dimir Aqueduct > Dimir Guildgate.
- Golgari Rot Farm > Golgari Guildgate.
- Simic Growth Chamber > Temple of Mystery.
- Yavimaya Coast > Thornwood Falls.
- Ash Barrens > Temple of the False God.
- Evolving Wilds > Soaring Seacliff.
- Could cut 2x Forest, add 2x more Island.
More Signets can help with faster ramp and color fixing. Arcane Signet is great, but there's three other budget Signets to consider adding: Simic Signet, Golgari Signet and Dimir Signet (Ravnica version). A Signet is helpful since any basic Forest or any other land can be used to make two different colors of mana.
Shared Summons is a budget instant creature tutor that can put any two creatures into your hand. Jarad's Orders is another creature tutor that puts a creature into your hand and any other creature into your graveyard such as one with mutate to recur with Otrimi. Primal Empathy can be repeatable draw source or repeatable source to make Otrimi bigger. Season of Growth can be another repeatable draw source, any time you cast a creature for it's mutate cost targeting a creature to mutate.
- Shared Summons > Illusory Ambusher.
- Jarad's Orders > Cavern Whisperer.
- Primal Empathy > Mysterious Egg.
- Season of Growth > Mind Spring.
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
5 months ago
- cut Doomed Dissenter since it can't be recast with your commander, and there are plenty of 2/2 zombies for 2 which can
- cut Festering Mummy because in commander, most creatures will not die with a couple of -1/-1 counters. Consider keeping it if your opponents play lots of mana dorks such as Llanowar Elves
- cut Ghoulraiser, your commander casts a zombie of your choice from the graveyard anyway
- cut Liliana's Steward, targeted discard is bad in commander. You and the targeted opponent lose a card, but your other two opponents don't.
- cut Increasing Ambition, it simply costs too much mana for the effect in my opinion
- cut Sealed Fate, it's pretty bad unless your opponent just used a Worldly Tutor or something
- cut Shamble Back, you don't want to exile your own creatures, and it's a pretty poor form of graveyard hate.
- cut Remove Soul, if you're paying 2 mana for a counterspell, you want it to hit more than just creatures
- cut Spell Snuff, 3 mana counterspells are too expensive
- cut Vile Rebirth for the same reason as Shamble Back
- cut Manalith and Nyx Lotus. When you're in 2 colours, you generally don't want to pay more than 2 mana to ramp. Plus if you ramp on turn 2, you'll have 4 mana on turn 3, allowing you to cast your commander early
- cut Telepathy, it's not worth using a card to see your opponents hand unless you're playing something specific like maybe Sen Triplets.
- For semi-budget 2-colour deck, your mana base looks pretty good. I would just cut Skyline Cascade, having it come in tapped isn't worth it for it's effect in commander. You can probably just play a basic island in its place.
If you want to upgrade your mana base, avoid lands that come in tapped like Dimir Guildgate. A few suggestions would be Command Tower, Choked Estuary, Darkwater Catacombs, Drowned Catacomb, Tainted Isle, Underground River, Watery Grave.
I hope that was helpful! Here's a link to my The Scarab God commander deck which has a pretty similar zombie tribal theme to what you have. Take a look through it and maybe you'll find more cards that I forgot to mention. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!