|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition||Common|
|Return to Ravnica||Common|
Combos Browse all
Land — Gate
Rakdos Guildgate enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Rakdos Guildgate Discussion
1 week ago
It seems like Avacyn's Judgment and Abandon Reason are meant to be cast for Madness? If so, Bloodrage Brawler is awfully inconsistent here, as there's no way to be sure you'll have a hand with both Bloodrage Brawler, Avacyn's Judgment in a game, and it's even less likely you'll have the mana to cast both of them in the same turn. I'd recommend either replacing the Bloodrage Brawlers with the suggestions below, scrapping Abandon Reason, or both.
Bloodrage Brawler is an incredibly aggressive card, I'll admit. However, there are some creatures that are quite a bit more synergistic with your deck. Nantuko Husk, Carrion Feeder, and Blood Bairn help your creatures die without Distended Mindbender. Perilous Myr and Goblin Arsonist are relatives of Mudbutton Torchrunner.
It seems like Distended Mindbender and Avacyn's Judgment are your sac outlets right now. Your opponent isn't going to block your Mudbutton Torchrunners if they're going to take 3 damage for it - they're just going to let the 1 go through. So, you need ways to power them yourself. Again, Nantuko Husk, Carrion Feeder, and Blood Bairn will all do that job for you, and Artillerize and Fling are cheap, sometimes even better, substitutes or alternatives.
For a budget deck, your mana base is to be expected, but it can be better. Rakdos Guildgate is a dual land, sure, but entering the battlefield tapped without anything else means it's outclassed by others. Akoum Refuge and Bloodfell Caves are gainlands in Rakdos colors. Rakdos Carnarium is a tapland that bounces one of your own lands, which can be bad or good, but helps you stay on curve the turn after, unlike the Guildgate. Temple of Malice is a scryland, which might not be so useful, but it's still better than the Guildgate by virtue of its scry. Dragonskull Summit is probably your best bet for a dual under $5/each, though, because it's not necessarily a tapland as long as you have a Swamp or Mountain.
Soul-Scar Mage and Abandon Reason are really weird cards in this deck. You have no burn spells (which might be something to consider) if you don't hit creatures with your Torchrunner or Showstopper, so I would consider either burn spells or better combat tricks. Red has much better combat tricks than Abandon Reason, like Brute Strength, a red Giant Growth.
Sorry for the wall of text; I hope it helped.
2 weeks ago
35 is fine for a 2 color deck. Between 30 and 40 is what most people run. Molten Slagheap, Blood Crypt, Rakdos Carnarium, Bojuka Bog, Opal Palace, Rakdos Guildgate, Akoum Refuge, Temple of the False God, and Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace are some of the other lands i run myself
3 weeks ago
In term's of your manabase there are so many way's you could improve it, depending on how much money you want to spend.
Some cheap (and really good) cards would be: Nomad Outpost, Scoured Barrens, Wind-Scarred Crag and Bloodfell Caves, Rakdos Guildgate, Boros Guildgate and Orzhov Guildgate to name a few. Even though these enter tapped it doesn't affect you that much since commander is a slower format. Isolated Chapel is a tad more expensive but would complete the cycle of checklands you're already running.
These are just some basic tips that a relatively budget however if you're willing to spend more there are better lands you could use but I'd say these and the bare minimum for a three colour deck to ensure you run well. I'd just cut some of the basic lands and replace them with these no worries.
1 month ago
ndite thanks for the suggestions Languish was a card I completely forgot about. I still haven't got a Rakdos Guildgate must pick one up. Malfegor makes me discard my hand something I don't like to do as I usually hold up my removal. The other two seem great.
1 month ago
I could see Languish being good, but it depends on your play group, also put in a Rakdos Guildgate instead of the Transguild Promenade, finally might I suggest Painful Quandary and Tainted AEther and possibly Malfegor? Overall +1 from me :)
3 months ago
As per your mentioning on a fellow post, you were having mana issues? To address this first problem, the quality of land you are looking at is minimal. That might sound rude when I say that, but by it, I mean you are running cards like Tainted Field and Tainted Peak. If it is a budget issue, I'd get the pain lands. Sulfurous Springs, Caves of Koilos and Battlefield Forge should be top includes. Other lands I'd consider changing out are:
Slayers' Stronghold - Decent, but vigilance isn't a big thing. And spending two mana to give haste? Why not run Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves (Greaves clearly being the better option, but of course, budget may be a thing for you)
Mistveil Plains - With a deck like this, Alesha shouldn't really care what is going to the grave if she can bring it back. If you are worried about a card like an artifact or enchantment dying, why not look at Restoration Specialist? Otherwise, Alesha can pretty much recur most creatures.
Blighted Fen - You aren't really abusing the ability to make people sac a creature, so this should also be swapped out.
Oh course, 'optimal' builds would have fetches and shocks, but even running Rakdos Guildgate, Boros Guildgate and Orzhov Guildgate will give you more mana fixing. You could also run the less expensive fast lands from Kaladesh for mana fixing. Consider cards like Mana Confluence and City of Brass for mana fixing too. Anything that gives you the three colors you need. The fact that Chromatic Lantern isn't in the deck is a heart breaker as well. Chromatic lantern not only RAMPS you, but your lands are now Birds of Paradise.
Besides that, only thing I'd say are stuff like Rakdos Signet, Boros Signet and Orzhov Signet. Fellwar Stone is also decent mana fixing, as well as Wayfarer's Bauble and Expedition Map to go and get lands you need. If you want to be cute, you can play Herald of Leshrac to start stealing peoples lands
Cards I'd consider cutting to make room or consider upgrading later:
Angel of Invention - Personally havent played with it, but seems like its sort of meh. Other than making smaller creatures or a bigger flyer, there's not alot going on here. If she is in there for the anthem, look at Ravos, Soultender
Feldon of the Third Path - Unless you can't reanimate with Alesha, this is a pretty dead card. I mean sure, you make a copy, go to combat, reanimate and get another 1-2 triggers, but there not a hell of a lot you really want, and you are paying 5 mana and tapping down two creatures for two more effects
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser - Unless you are SURE to deal damage or have a mass of tokens for example, I feel mana is better spent on other effects
Dictate of Erebos - Again, you aren't really abusing the sac outlets, so this doesn't seem like it warrants an area.
Sunforger - I feel like this card is a trap. Sure, you just instant speed tutored for removal you might not otherwise have, but you also just spend 4 mana to cast a Swords to Plowshares. That right there screams card disadvantage. Not only that, you have now removed it from a potential blocker and have to spend mana to re-equip.
5 months ago
- Palace Siege (high cmc)
- Pestilence and Pyrohemia will easily be removed at the first board wipe, so I believe they aren't as good as you might think
- Grave Upheaval is outclassed by Torrent of Souls
- Skull Rend is fun, but I don't know if it's good enough.
- Urabrask the Hidden is expensive and I don't think you actually need him there
- Maga, Traitor to Mortals (I don't like it all that much... plus, the triple B cost could be bad)
- Most of the times, people will choose take damage from Combustible Gearhulk, so that you cannot draw cards. Even with Rakdos on the battlefield, that will probably still be the case, so the gearhulk is more useful if you fill your deck with reanimation options. It's a good card, but I don't know if it's all that useful here.
- I'm unsure about Lobber Crew too.
AS FOR THE MANA BASE:
- Too many ETB tapped lands in my opinion. They slow you down quite a bit for a deck that wishes to bring Rakdos to the table ASAP. Keep only the ones you actually need. Flamekin Village can be replaced by Hanweir Battlements. Smoldering Marsh isn't all that expensive and should work better than Rakdos Guildgate. Urborg Volcano is beautiful, but I say drop it. And Dragonskull Summit can replace one of your gainlands (I'd say Akoum Refuge since I like Bloodfell Caves). Spinerock Knoll can be quite interesting as well. Ancient Ziggurat is excellent in a creature-heavy deck. Rocky Tar Pit functions the same as an Evolving Wilds, but instead of ETB untapped -> sacrifice and put basic land tapped, it allows you to get an untapped land your next turn (meaning you could still draw a card first to see which color you will need).
- Prismatic Lens gives you an easy ramp and some color fixing when needed, and Talisman of Indulgence is great.
- Manaforge Cinder is good at color fixing as well.
- Rune-Scarred Demon, Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Dark Petition all seem great in a Rakdos Deck.
- You could also go for a classic Diabolic Tutor, Demonic Collusion or Increasing Ambition, but I think the three I suggested before would work better.
- Staff of Nin is almost auto-include. Even though it costs 6 mana, the tap->damage ability allows rakdos to be recast or, if he's in play, it gives you for your next creature spell.
- Read the Bones for the scry 2 + draw 2 is actually excellent.
6 months ago
if I where u id take out Rakdos Guildgate for you have no use of the swamp and add 2 Shivan Oasis or 2 Gruul Guildgate and in your side board add 2Gravity Well to help defend against flyers for if you went against my
1 COMMENT | 39 VIEWS
you could block nothing. I would also take out a few creatures and add a few more land most decks have between 20-22 land. for me id take out the goblins and Rakdos Guildgate and add 4 Gruul Guildgate and 3 Shivan Oasis but that's what I would do. so do what you think is best of your game style