|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient
Legendary Creature — Ogre Spirit
Whenever you activate an ability of an artifact, if it isn't a mana ability, you may pay R. If you do, copy that ability. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (25)||bradyofportdetroit , xXThormentXx , geazykagar , Ellyreia , zachi , joshw335 , MlgMan67 , darthnuchi , Caldazar , Fiolek , Supremespeed , Pelli , sonnet666 , Hakira , , pskinn01 , chrysaries , jstn.mrrtt , CampbellStev , chrishuffman95 , rikertchu , Riku580 , mziter501 , golgarigirl , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient Discussion
1 week ago
I refuse to copy 3 other people in my playgroup. As silly as it sounds, I feel commander is about creativity and nothing is creative about building the same deck as three others.
I really think the best way to build him is an Eggs theme, and that typically runs a pretty penny. I want to start this deck off on a budget so a lot of the pieces i feel would be out of my reach. That and the fact I just... I don't like him as weird as it sounds. He just doesn't click with me.
Now that I've gone over what I don't want, here are a few commanders I've looked at (I think this is all the mono-red artifact generals but correct me if I'm wrong)
While he is very interesting as a general, I feel that he is fairly weak. I'm not against building weaker decks but I think he just doesn't fit into the shell of what I have so far. Feel free to prove me wrong though!
An artifact combo general sounds fairly cool, I'm just concerned that the deck will do nothing with him out which is something I'd prefer to avoid. Again feel free to prove me wrong.
On the overcosted side, it's always fun to fling things though. My biggest concern is that he IS an artifact himself and therefore is more vulnerable to removal and couple that with his high mana cost, well its safe to say I'm scared of playing him.
Now this guy is fairly interesting. I don't think I'd build him straight voltron however and just through in a few VERY good equiptment. Now I don't usually like voltron but maybe this can change my mind. We'll see.
Now while not a ARTIFACT general himself, this elder dino benefits much from ramp which the artifacts can provide. I feel it might be cool to do an artifact ramp shell with him as the commander providing beats AND CA.
Another odd choice and I love underused generals. The damage part isn't that good, maybe use it to finish off some utility dudes but the really cool part is the thopters. Maybe an artifact token build has to come in. I have a copy of Purphoros, God of the Forge laying around and maybe can blink it a few times with some artifacts and just go myr tokens and thopters?
Kinda a worse version of the previous card, but the unblockable and the fact she's a free sac outlet is cool. Maybe another kinda voltrony build and pump an artifact token and make their best blockers not be able to block?
Tuk-Tuk the Explorer:
I'll be honest, I have no idea how I'd build this guy. But he is a red general that has an artifact ability so I feel he's worth mentioning.
2 weeks ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
In my experience, playing mono-red in commander leaves your commander very vulnerable. I used to play Neheb, the Eternal you see. I found Conqueror's Flail to be very usefull for protection. You did mention that Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient had a tendency to die. Maybe this could be a nice piece to fetch.
I assume you already considered Skullclamp at some point. So I'm a little curious, why are you not running it?
Really solid deck.
3 months ago
A Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient deck seems like it could run it. I really don't see any other commanders being able to make decent use out of it.
3 months ago
I completely forgot Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient was a card. And Rings of Brighthearth is going to be hard to stuff in. I feel like I might have to drop Sen Triplets but I love the idea of making sure one person gets locked down.
3 months ago
If you want to abuse acticated abilities Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient is hella dope. Its a rings of brighthesrth for one red mana that you can use only for artifacts. It works with Breya, Etherium Shaper, Aetherflux Reservoir, all your mana rocks, and filters with commanders sphere. And the best part is, because planeswalker abilities are activated, if you can cheeze them to be artifacts like with Liquimetal Coating you can pay one red to ult twice :)
3 months ago
Hey guys. As some of you may know I'm making a Stitcher Geralf deck and its been going very well. Current list isn't updated because I haven't had all the time I need, but its been good enough that I decided to work on another deck. I've decided to make a deck in each of the mono-colors and already have a Gonti, Lord of Luxury deck to go along with my Stitcher Geralf deck, and have decided to do my favorite color in MTG, but have always been to scared to try, Mono-Red.
We all know Mono-Red is with Mono-White on terms of strength and neither are the best, but I'm a pyromancer and artificer at heart. These two generals I have lying around, after my brother decided he didn't like his daretti LD deck (THANK GOD), and another just from packing it, and I can't decide between the two.
Underplay compared to Daretti and I love me an underplayed general
Rings of Brightheart in the command zone? Uh... sure.
Can easily incoporate Daretti into the deck as a support card
Seems to have a fragile deck
More one directional
Most popular red commander for a reason. Very strong
A planeswalker as a commander is badass.
I love looting so hell yeah +2~
Is a planeswalker (very doubleedged sword here)
Popular and can be hated for fear its a STAX or LD deck
Popular but for a different reason, I'm not the biggest fan of the most popular commanders and I like to go off the beaten path.
Anyone have any advice?