|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Scion of Oona
Creature — Faerie Soldier
Other Faerie creatures you control get +1/+1.
Other Faeries you control have shroud. (A permanent with shroud can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||ironax , fireborne1986 , TheRealPeaches , jstn.mrrtt , TheBl0b , wackozacko , Metaphisyk , Fineontheoutside , Duct-Tape-Guardian , saj0219 , RobbyFoxfur , bfarber91 , abby315 , TehDelta , Boza|
|Want (5)||isthatjames , CrunchyPelvis , BringerOfStorms , Morbidtooth , thevolvowhisperer|
Scion of Oona Discussion
2 weeks ago
You have a good build with good synergy here. I just threw down some thoughts on cards that are hopefully all budget enough to consider. Most of these are super cheap on mtgo which makes that a good program to play on for brewing budget options. You are looking at up to $0.25 a card (usually much less) instead of $2
I like Glen Elendra Liege but why not drop those for two more Scion of Oona? You have no blue and black creatures and all your creatures are faeries so it seems much better. If you want more than 4 of those effects, then I would go to Glen Elendra Liege.
Have you considered Despise or Duress for other turn 1 plays? Inquisition of Kozilek is not too expensive if within budget. You do rely on throwing out creatures and swinging wide so perhaps not playing these is best.
Secluded Glen seems much better than Dismal Backwater but quite pricey. River of Tears may work well for you. Faerie Conclave may be a good option but I wouldn't play more than 2 because you do not want too many tapped lands in this build. Mutavault is a powerhouse in faeries with how it interacts with Spellstutter Sprite and in this case Thieving Sprite. However, 4 Mutavault cost more than the whole deck currently and as much as one Bitterblossom.
Your biggest fear is board wipes post sideboarding. I would recommend Spell Pierce, Negate, or Countersquall. I would also play Nihil Spellbomb in the sideboard for graveyard hate. I love Shadow of Doubt to hit fetchlands or combo decks but Squelch can be a fun budget option. Disdainful Stroke is also a very good budget counterspell.
Another upgrade path for this deck would be to focus on the go wide flying theme and splash white (perhaps use fast lands in esper colors). Key card is Pride of the Clouds while not a faerie becomes huge when you have a few faeries out. Spell Queller is also a good card that you cannot pass up if playing blue/white flyers. Selfless Spirit protects from board wipes. Adding in these cards decreases usefullness of Scion of Oona and may make sense to move back to Glen Elendra Liege
3 weeks ago
2 months ago
ersatz_olorin it's the only 1 mana permanent in the deck, but I actually considered trimming them down from 4. The thing is that the value of what it provides is too great, it can help you ramp for spells faster, helps your creatures dodge counterspells, allows you to play creatures at instant speed... the deck isn't super fast, so having plays to set up plays 2 or 3 turns later on turn 1 can be a real difference maker and can help you maintain momentum. A lot of times you need mana open on turn 3 for cards like Liliana of the Veil or Scion of Oona, so having the vial at 2 counters gives you the ability to play a Spellstutter Sprite and counter a 3 drop if you played Bitterblossom on turn 2. It obviously sucks when you need something late game and you topdeck one, but the amount of times it helps vastly outnumber those situations.
3 months ago
I really don't think you need green at all for Faeries, mono blue is fine for a budget build which I think is what you are going for. I'd make a list that looks like this:
2x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Logic Knot
I think you'll be pretty happy with that list and it won't break the bank. Good luck! :)
3 months ago
Ooh, Faeries. I play with Faeries a lot, so, naturally, a few ideas came to mind.
- I'm not a fan of Mind Sculptor in the deck. Yes, he's powerful, but he's a sorcery-speed four-mana spell that doesn't win the game immediately. Liliana's a much better fit here, especially being able to recur your faeries for even more fun.
- Something I always recommend with Faerie decks is Cavern of Souls, and, in your case, you play a lot of wizards, so you can name that. Also in terms of landbase, I don't like Tar Pit, as it comes in too slow, and would suggest Secluded Glen instead.
- I like using Scion of Oona, as it helps to protect your faeries (including Bitterblossom!) and smash face when that time comes. Four may be too much, but a few seem like good options.
- In terms of hand disruption, my view is that Thoughtseize is pretty important: it's proactive threat neutralization for one mana (and two life), though Inquisition of Kozilek is perhaps better in the early game.
- As crazy as it sounds, with all the blue you have in the deck, Commandeer may be a good option in the sideboard. It swipes Planeswalkers and big spells otherwise (ex. Part the Waterveil in the "oops all turns" builds), plus it costing zero mana means it can often come from nowhere. You also have Imp's Mischief as a very unexpected misdirection-like effect.
As for specific deck answers...
- I run Hurkyl's Recall as a sideboard answer for Affinity/Lantern: two mana to bounce almost anything can be a lifesaver.
- For storm (I don't know if it's very popular where you are), consider both Mindbreak Trap and Nimble Obstructionist. The latter can also serve as a 3/1 blocker/face smasher and can also stop nasty effects you don't want to deal with.
- To deal with graveyards and graveyard shenanigans, either Extirpate, Leyline of the Void, Relic of Progenitus, or Surgical Extraction are all potentially good options to consider. I'm a fan of the Relic, but Leyline's useful as well in that it comes out on turn 0 if needed.
4 months ago
Autant je suis trs familier du legacy autant je connais beaucoup moins le modern donc prends mon avis comme celui d'un observateur extrieur. Mais avant de commencer, fais juste attention, une side c'est 15 cartes max ;)
Sinon je trouve a globalement pas mal, mon avis t'as une bonne base et s'il y a quelque chose faire c'est jouer avec le nombre dexemplaires de chaque carte. Par exemple je pense que 3 Mistbind Clique ou 3 Vendilion Clique c'est trop. La premire cote un peu chre, est finalement un peu situationnelle (y'a pas mal de match up comme burn o elle fera pas grand chose) et mme si c'est peu probable tu risques de pas pouvoir la cast... La seconde c'est un peu le mme problme, elle est bien contre contrle ou combo mais finalement assez moyenne contre agro, tout en tant lgendaire. 2 de chaque a me parat raisonnable, quitte effectivement rentrer 2 Scion of Oona qui est bon un peu tout le temps. De la mme faon je pense que tu peux jouer 4 Opt avec un voir deux lands de moins. Finalement pas tant de cartes chres, part les delve qu'ils t'aident jouer, et l'intrt du cantrip c'est de t'aider trouver ce que tu cherche, carte active ou land (c'est entre autre pour a que Delver se permet de jouer 3/4 couleurs avec 14 lands dont 8 fetchs en legacy). Et peut tre que tu voudrais un Ghost Quarter/Field of Ruin de plus contre les lands utilitaires.
Pour ce qui est du maybe board, Disfigure je pense sincrement que c'est un pige, c'est meilleur en leg qu'en modern et on malgr a on le voit plus du tout depuis la sortie de Fatal Push. Ancestral Vision mon avis c'est trop mou, t'es plus tempo que contrle vrai dire. Tour 1 c'est bien mais c'est un trs mauvais top deck, et autant contre agro/comb t'auras pas le temps de le cast, autant contre contrle tu veux justement prendre le rle d'agresseur. Tout le reste rentrerais bien dans le shell mais c'est plus une dcision prendre en rponse ton mta de ce que j'en vois.
4 months ago
Hey man, awesome deck you have here! I'm currently trying to build a faeries deck myself, so I may draw some inspiration from yours and tell you what I come up with :)
As for recommendations, this deck has lots of potential but the big problem is that you're focusing on getting value from your unblockable ninjas, but that value isn't really working towards winning. The concept is too slow to be pure aggro, but if you increase the number of spells that just up and mess with your opponents, you'd be set...
Drop Elixir of Immortality, it's kinda pointless here. Writ of passage should be in the sideboard cause it's dead against decks that don't run many creatures (which there are many of). Higure is awesome, but his mana cost is expensive. Consider dropping one, if not both of him. Cut spell pierce as it's better for protecting combo decks, and instead run 4x Mana Leak. Familiar's Ruse is good, but consider Peel from Reality instead of or in addition to Boomerang- both have their strengths. I notice you have Ornithopter in here- probably for a more explosive start- but I wonder if it's not worth it since it doesn't deal damage? I guess it depends on your playtesting- Zephyr Sprite may or may not be better. Also, consider Spellstutter Sprite, and Serum Visions. Lastly, I'm too lazy to look anything up, but try finding blue anthem effects to pump your creatures. What comes to mind off the bat are Scion of Oona and Favorable Winds.
Keep up the good work dude :)