|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Scion of Oona
Creature — Faerie Soldier
Other Faerie creatures you control get +1/+1.
Other Faeries you control have shroud. (A permanent with shroud can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||NivStormfront , Pumpkinking913 , Abzkaban , Bluboltar , , TypicalTimmy , Daddy1ong1egs13|
|Want (15)||pipipimlbpp , Approximos , IsaacGreenseed , CharlesBlackwater , wesk123 , 2OfHearts , Minimatte , coocbey73 , JoshTheStampede , foofifoo , DeadlyPro_21 , Dragonex , perz13 , SilvanSage , waynebland|
Scion of Oona Discussion
2 weeks ago
To keep your theme I've suggested some improvements
Faerie Harbinger - Tutor for the fary you need
Inspired Sprite - Extra Card draw
Mistbind Clique - Basically a one turn time warp - more if you can bounce with effects like Glen Elendra Pranksters
Nightshade Schemers - Since most of your deck is Faerie
Scion of Oona - Faerie lord - the shroud could be beneficial too
Spellstutter Sprite - Counter spell - more if you can bounce with effects like Glen Elendra Pranksters
Sprite Noble - Weaker "Faerie" Lord - most likely to cut
Hypnotic Siren - on theme version of Spirit away but not dead in hand early game
Siren Stormtamer - counter spell
Midnight Banshee - might hurt with all the blue you play but strong against many decks
I would Remove Macabre Waltz, Fill with Fright, Send to Sleep, Wings of Velis Vel, Fear, Phyresis with Glistening Oil (repeatable infect + used as removal in pinch), Psychic Surgery, Sleep Paralysis, Waterknot (your in black use actual removal), Faerie Invaders, Oona's Gatewarden (sorry I know oona's the general but its a weak card) and Dauthi Embrace (I know you said its a win con but most of your creatures are evasive on their own)
2 months ago
Minor alteration you might enjoy - Horde of Notions for a general - you can't tutor out cards from play, but it lets you run any changling for , and cast them from graveyard as well.
another odd option is Reaper King for destruction of permanents
odd "lords" that might fit well -
Bramblewood Paragon & the their tribal parallels - give a static bonus even after the card leaves
Drogskol Captain - another lord of the unreal, effectively. plus it steroids
Scion of Oona - see above, but shroud. can't target it, but has flash
Seshiro the Anointed - big buffs + card draw = win
Myr Galvanizer - untapping is amazing. do stuff more!
Pheres-Band Warchief - because tribal centaurs are apparently a thing
Unnatural Selection - because more messing with stuff is more better
Crux of Fate - because it is now viable in a non-dragon tribal
Goblin Chieftain - an alternitive to goblin king - not a fan of landwalk, personally. to circumstantial
2 months ago
For bonus points I used: Sun Quan, Lord of Wu - best way is to finish them off with fish riding horses
Back from the Brink - this is the only? way to get creatures back in mono U
Artificial Evolution - you can change Swarmyard to regen Merfolks, Wizards etc.
5 months ago
You have a good build with good synergy here. I just threw down some thoughts on cards that are hopefully all budget enough to consider. Most of these are super cheap on mtgo which makes that a good program to play on for brewing budget options. You are looking at up to $0.25 a card (usually much less) instead of $2
I like Glen Elendra Liege but why not drop those for two more Scion of Oona? You have no blue and black creatures and all your creatures are faeries so it seems much better. If you want more than 4 of those effects, then I would go to Glen Elendra Liege.
Have you considered Despise or Duress for other turn 1 plays? Inquisition of Kozilek is not too expensive if within budget. You do rely on throwing out creatures and swinging wide so perhaps not playing these is best.
Secluded Glen seems much better than Dismal Backwater but quite pricey. River of Tears may work well for you. Faerie Conclave may be a good option but I wouldn't play more than 2 because you do not want too many tapped lands in this build. Mutavault is a powerhouse in faeries with how it interacts with Spellstutter Sprite and in this case Thieving Sprite. However, 4 Mutavault cost more than the whole deck currently and as much as one Bitterblossom.
Your biggest fear is board wipes post sideboarding. I would recommend Spell Pierce, Negate, or Countersquall. I would also play Nihil Spellbomb in the sideboard for graveyard hate. I love Shadow of Doubt to hit fetchlands or combo decks but Squelch can be a fun budget option. Disdainful Stroke is also a very good budget counterspell.
Another upgrade path for this deck would be to focus on the go wide flying theme and splash white (perhaps use fast lands in esper colors). Key card is Pride of the Clouds while not a faerie becomes huge when you have a few faeries out. Spell Queller is also a good card that you cannot pass up if playing blue/white flyers. Selfless Spirit protects from board wipes. Adding in these cards decreases usefullness of Scion of Oona and may make sense to move back to Glen Elendra Liege
5 months ago
7 months ago
ersatz_olorin it's the only 1 mana permanent in the deck, but I actually considered trimming them down from 4. The thing is that the value of what it provides is too great, it can help you ramp for spells faster, helps your creatures dodge counterspells, allows you to play creatures at instant speed... the deck isn't super fast, so having plays to set up plays 2 or 3 turns later on turn 1 can be a real difference maker and can help you maintain momentum. A lot of times you need mana open on turn 3 for cards like Liliana of the Veil or Scion of Oona, so having the vial at 2 counters gives you the ability to play a Spellstutter Sprite and counter a 3 drop if you played Bitterblossom on turn 2. It obviously sucks when you need something late game and you topdeck one, but the amount of times it helps vastly outnumber those situations.
8 months ago
I really don't think you need green at all for Faeries, mono blue is fine for a budget build which I think is what you are going for. I'd make a list that looks like this:
2x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Logic Knot
I think you'll be pretty happy with that list and it won't break the bank. Good luck! :)
8 months ago
Ooh, Faeries. I play with Faeries a lot, so, naturally, a few ideas came to mind.
- I'm not a fan of Mind Sculptor in the deck. Yes, he's powerful, but he's a sorcery-speed four-mana spell that doesn't win the game immediately. Liliana's a much better fit here, especially being able to recur your faeries for even more fun.
- Something I always recommend with Faerie decks is Cavern of Souls, and, in your case, you play a lot of wizards, so you can name that. Also in terms of landbase, I don't like Tar Pit, as it comes in too slow, and would suggest Secluded Glen instead.
- I like using Scion of Oona, as it helps to protect your faeries (including Bitterblossom!) and smash face when that time comes. Four may be too much, but a few seem like good options.
- In terms of hand disruption, my view is that Thoughtseize is pretty important: it's proactive threat neutralization for one mana (and two life), though Inquisition of Kozilek is perhaps better in the early game.
- As crazy as it sounds, with all the blue you have in the deck, Commandeer may be a good option in the sideboard. It swipes Planeswalkers and big spells otherwise (ex. Part the Waterveil in the "oops all turns" builds), plus it costing zero mana means it can often come from nowhere. You also have Imp's Mischief as a very unexpected misdirection-like effect.
As for specific deck answers...
- I run Hurkyl's Recall as a sideboard answer for Affinity/Lantern: two mana to bounce almost anything can be a lifesaver.
- For storm (I don't know if it's very popular where you are), consider both Mindbreak Trap and Nimble Obstructionist. The latter can also serve as a 3/1 blocker/face smasher and can also stop nasty effects you don't want to deal with.
- To deal with graveyards and graveyard shenanigans, either Extirpate, Leyline of the Void, Relic of Progenitus, or Surgical Extraction are all potentially good options to consider. I'm a fan of the Relic, but Leyline's useful as well in that it comes out on turn 0 if needed.