Ertai, Wizard Adept
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
(2)(Blue)(Blue), Tap: Counter target spell.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ertai, Wizard Adept occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Ertai, Wizard Adept Discussion
9 months ago
Power Sink, Spell Blast, Dovin's Veto, and if were throwing creatures in there Brine Seer, Diplomatic Escort, Disciple of the Ring, Disruptive Pitmage, Ertai, Wizard Adept, and Mundungu are just a couple not to mention the plethora of sac to counter creatures, this list is a good start but maybe 100 or so cards short, thank you for starting this list tho +1 from me
1 year ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
1 year ago
I only recently have begun to appreciate how great utility lands (i.e., lands with abilities other than mana-generating abilities) are, which is quite surprising, considering that I have been playing this game since 2003. I also have noticed that there has not yet been a land with a counterspell ability, so I am creating one, now:
Tolaria Reborn Show
Tolaria reborn enters the battlefield tapped.
: add to your mana pool.
,: counter target spell.
I am fully aware that having a repeatable counterspell ability, especially on a land, is very powerful (as seen on creatures such as Ertai, Wizard Adept and Ertai, the Corrupted ), so I have three measures in place to balance its power: first, the land is legendary, so a player cannot control multiple copies of it; second, it enters the battlefield tapped, so that it cannot be used immediately; third, its ability has a high cost, so that its controller will need to be absolutely certain that they wish to use it.
What does everyone else say about this? What do you think of this card?
1 year ago
BUMP BUZZING CHROMIUM FOR SOMEONE ELSE!
Alright. Here's the situation. I seriously doubt Chromium, the Mutable would work good as an ESPER CMDR here. I've a lot of things to add at some point, but I'm unsure what CMDR to replace Chromium 2.0 though:
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic : We're playing powerful cards that best fit my Vorthos Deck based on "BMH: The UnExperience", if you want to poke fun at that name, not do something Orzhov () can do better w/o .
Zur the Enchanter : Don't get me wrong, he's awesome, but... just look at the number Enchantments I have already; not even enough to warrant this.
Sen Triplets : I seriously dunno how the Powerpuff Girls as Esperites would work as it just simply counts as only one opponent as a target each turn. Skip.
Sydri, Galvanic Genius : If she were a Legendary Artifact Creature, she would be WAY better than the aforementioned Sphinx that's more incorrect than The Riddler. Even so, this is a skip for the same reasons as the Hegemon herself.
Merieke Ri Berit : Err... Why would I use this, when I plan to update this deck with one Perplexing Chimera that, when one casts something good, I trade control over such a much needed creature anyway, while Eldrazi Displacer can easily give me back my Chimera. Now I just want to protect my Displacer though....
Aminatou, the Fateshifter : Awesome Walker, unsure if she'll do any good here; though this is part Value Town, so how should I know? Opinions?
Varina, Lich Queen : If I wanted to make a Zombie Tribal Deck, I'd use either her, or even Thraximundar ; & exclude anything involving "Gisa the Mad"; she's a (A kitten died as I said the B word, & is censored by #CATMEGEDDON), & clearly wants to kill both Stitcher Geralf , Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist , & everything they both worked on as "Impurities" to the undead. Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , & Teyo Verada both say hi, you Mad, Necromancing, Excuse for a MTG Character. I hope you get executed by the Inquisitors of Innistrad; by Guillotine! & if anyone tries to use Ghoulcaller Gisa, even Gisa & Geralf (See? No Links because Gisa the Mad doesn't deserve this crap! :D) for Zombie Tribal decks in the future, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born & Rooftop Storm both say the exact thing Anne Robinson will say to everyone as a former game show host: (Tips head) "You suck!" (Smirks like an asshole).
/endrant, & all further use of Gisa abusing Geralf in all errata, & decks with said errata; Geralf is wiser, & more reserved anyway. I can relate to Geralf more than that Kaya-Hating Brother Killer not deserving of life anyway. :D
Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign : Finally... something. While I do have some even costs here & there, at least this seems decent as I have more odd costs. I wonder...
Dakkon Blackblade : Are you an idiot!? Blackblade Reforged is basically the same effect, just a Legendary Artifact - Equipment. Skip for damn sure! &, Gideon Jura is using it now, after he was dubbed a crap leader of the Gatewatch by Nicol Bolas, & lost his Sural & Self-Determination! I bet he now has in his blood!
Dromar, the Banisher : Why the bloody hell would anyone run Monocolors still?!
Chromium : What the hell is Rampage? How does this work, & why am I taxed to keep this MechaGodzilla wannabe incarnation of one from Core 19 that's far better?!
(Any Partner CMDR Duos that have a combined Identity of ): (Rips one of them to show they suck.)
Yep, that's my thoughts of all the other Esper Legends. If you have something to say that could be used in this situation in place of Chromium, the Mutable , your opinions for a better substitute is very much welcome. It's just I'm running a COMPLETELY differing deck than what Esper normally runs.
Opinions are open for debate now. Oh, & about Geralf, here's his best quote as a warning to priests (Including Gisa the Mad as a Ghoulcaller.) as he zaps hell on Innistrad:
"Let those idiot priests tremble! A new era in unlife begins here and now. Oglor, raise the lightning vane!"
You have to admit, this is Geralf at his most badass. I don't even give a crud about "Olgor" anyway. PX
2 years ago
I personally went with a Wizards theme to emphasize the counterspells. Ertai, Wizard Adept is repeatable Foil, while Patron Wizard is just amazing at stopping your opponents, when paired with Murkfiend Liege.
2 years ago
As far as commanders go, that really depends on how janky you want to get. I'm personally tackling a Kaho, Minamo Historian deck. This card basically lets you tutor 3 cards into a 'pocket exile' space that works like a second hand. You then cast these cards normally by activating Kaho's ability.
2 years ago
This is under construction, I know: but I just wanted to say that Counterspell, Ertai, Wizard Adept, and Stifle aren't legal in Modern. They're legal in Vintage, Legacy, and Commander/EDH. Also, just wanted to point out that Baral only triggers if you counter a SPELL, so countering an ability wouldn't allow you to draw then discard a card. Great deck!