Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Mutant Wizard
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if it has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.) T, Remove one or more +1/+1 counters from Simic Manipulator: Gain control of target creature with power less than or equal to the number of +1/+1 counters removed this way.
5 months ago
A lot of great picks here for fun abilities to slap on Mairsil. A great one I think you might appreciate is on the ol' stinker Infernal Denizen. Tapping to steal a creature is no mean feat, especially if you have a sacrifice outlet to go with it.
Of course, it looks like you plan to bounce Mairsil out of play regularly, and that doesn't play too great with the Denizen's ability. In such a case, you could also consider Empress Galina, Memnarch, Helm of Possession, Aladdin and maybe Simic Manipulator (to go with Anthroplasm or Phyrexian Devourer?)
1 year ago
The other day, I was watching a 'Cards We Like to Play Against' podcast for EDH. I was very surprised to see that one of the mechanics they mentioned was when opponents played effects that stole/borrowed/or used their own cards. While they admitted that Mind Control-type effects were not always feel-good, they loved Rise of the Dark Realms because they took pride in seeing their cards wreck the table.
While I only play casually, I've been playing Magic for a decade now. Since the beginning, hands-down the most tilting effect for me is when my opponent's use my cards. Needless to say, this podcast made no sense to me. MLD, stax, 100 Counterspells - annoying but it holds nothing to the frustration I feel towards someone stealing my creature with Simic Manipulator. As I was processing this, I thought about how I have similar reactions to cards like Oblivion Ring or even Molten Primordial. Logically, it doesn't make sense: MLD should be way more frustrating than having a single random permanent briefly moved across the table.
After awhile, I realized it's because I have OCD. I have a very hard time with people touching certain (seemingly random) objects in my house. For many things, I have to do very certain procedures before I can touch them (like wash my hands a certain number of times, etc). It seems so obvious now but my cards were just another addition to this list.
My small playgroup is awesome and, when I told them about this, they offered to modify the way these effects work. Their cards all work as intended but instead of my friends grabbing/touching/and bringing my card over to their side, my physical cards still stays on my mat. And it worked! Suddenly, I no longer cared that a card got stolen because I could still control the actual piece of cardboard in real life. It's such a simple change and one that has brought me a lot of relief!
I still have pretty significant limitations; I cannot realistically play at my LGS, though I've tried and really want to! Despite that, this still feels like a big victory for me :)
How about you? Have your disabilities, disorders, and/or neurodivergence impacted your ability to play MTG? Have you found a way to integrate your specific needs into the game in an awesome way?
1 year ago
How competitive do you want to get? What parts of the deck did you like the most?
Pretty much every effect has been tied to +1/+1 counters at some point, so for more casual lists you can do almost anything, from beatdown creatures, go wide, midrange, Proliferate and poison, Sage of Hours taking turns, Simic Manipulator control. Look for what you enjoyed and put more of that in.
1 year ago
Update 1 Cards Added In
Vigean Graftmage A cheap creature, with some +1/+1 syneregy, and a useful ability too. An easy add.
Cloudfin Raptor Another cheap creature that triggers Ezuri, and a flyer too. On top of that Evolve will help out too if it triggers.
Bring to Light A way of finding a flyer, a mana rock, or another creature. Not the cheapest card, but pays for itself with its ability to cast the follow up card for no mana.
Primeval Bounty Triggers Ezuri with its tokens, adds counters when non-creatures are cast, and some incidental Lifegain too? Easy add, just a shame its expensive.
Treasure Cruise In this deck the graveyard is dead space, so Delve is perfect here. More card draw is no bad thing.
Thrummingbird A cheap flyer that triggers Ezuri, and can also Proliferate too.
Hornet Queen Yes, it's a token generator, but the tokens are so very useful its worth the price. Plus triggers Ezuri too.
Sagu Mauler Potentially a finisher that can protect itself, and when it comes in as a Morph it will trigger Ezuri too. This is an experimental add to see if it works the way I hope it does.
Fathom Mage An Evolve card that adds card draw too. On top of that it triggers Ezuri, and I can never resist a foil!
Vorel of the Hull Clade Really obvious inclusion for boosting counters, and has great synergy with Ezuri.
Murkfiend Liege No they aren't counters but boosting the power of all blue and green creatures, plus having them available every turn is too tempting not to include.
Simic Manipulator Again an Evolve card and a way to make use of lots of +1/+1 counters.
Temple of Mystery Slow dual land with an additional Scry. An easy change for one of the many basics.
Yavimaya Coast Untapped dual land, foil, and allows me colourless if i don't want the pain. An easy swap for a Vivid land.
Botanical Sanctum If I need it untapped, it comes in untapped. If I can afford to wait, then well it gets played later! Again an easy upgrade on a basic.
Hinterland Harbor Again another easy swap for a Vivid land. If it comes out at the right time then it gets played untapped. If it doesn't then, well... I guess I didn't need it that badly.
Llanowar Elves More mana. Triggers Ezuri. Easy.
Animation Module Plenty of opportunity to trigger, and gives more Ezuri triggers too. Can also add more counters to other things too. Its versatility makes it an easy inclusion.
Primordial Hydra A big finisher that leans into the Counters theme.
Managorger Hydra Another creature that has the potential to grow into a large finisher, with Trample to get me there.
Skyrider Elf If I am honest this is basically a placeholder for something better, but its a flyer and also has good synergy due to convergence.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Cainhegis: I'll discuss each of those one by one.
Spark Double seems a bit underwhelming. It's just a clone that adds to it a way for Atraxa to buff it. It's not bad, but I feel not exceedingly good enough to make the cut. However, it should have made it to the list of evaluated and cut cards. I'll make sure to add it there.
Steelbane Hydra is a gem I definitely overlooked. I'll be looking hard for a place to fit it in.
Despark was considered and cut for better removal. It may have been cut in favor of Abrupt Decay back when this deck was leaning more high tier. It might actually go back into the 100 either with or over Abrupt Decay.
Walking Ballista recently graduated off of cut and onto "maybe." But it's in maybe just to garner more attention. It seems good, but also seems slow. Is a 10/10 that'll get targeted with removal and end up killing one other thing good enough? I just don't know.
Simic Manipulator was on the cut list, not sure why it isn't there anymore. But I do recall why it didn't make it into the 100. It's effect is kind of slow. It's getting between one and two +1/+1 counters put on it a turn, which doesn't feel impactful enough. It's not bad, just kind of slow. I'll add it back to the cut list.
Magistrate's Scepter was cut around the time Lux Cannon was cut, and which was also around the time all additional proliferate support was cut. The focus of the deck narrowed to +1/+1 counters, resulting in additional fun cards seeing the ax.
In order of what I would be more inclined to add, Steelbane Hydra is at the top of that list. Walking Ballista is already under re-review. Despark deserves more consideration. Spark Double, Simic Manipulator, and Magistrate's Scepter would need a strong argument to make me reconsider.
2 years ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
2 years ago
The following cards are to be added once the new set is release:
Shadowspear : granting both lifelink and trample on our of our hydras is just absurd plus the ability to remove both hexproof and indestructibility to our opponent's permanents is just gravy