|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Destroy target artifact or enchantment with converted mana cost 4 or less.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
1 week ago
Maybe needs some actual artifact removal in the sideboard instead of Kataki, War's Wage, Fragmentize or something similar. Gaddock Teeg in the sideboard for anti-board wipe tech since our deck is creature heavy. I'd add 2 more 1-drops, maybe Narnam Renegade or Pelt Collector
2 weeks ago
You're off to a good start.
Here are some budget friendly staple removal spells you should consider running (you don't need to run them all of course):
- Swords to Plowshares
- Doom Blade
- Go for the Throat
- Beast Within
- Abzan Charm
- Return to Dust
- Utter End
- Ravenous Chupacabra
- Acidic Slime
- Nature's Claim
Here are some budget friendly cards that can help you feed your graveyard:
Here are some budget friendly big bomb creatures you can use as win conditions and/or reanimate:
- Butcher of Malakir
- Ashen Rider
- Angel of Despair
- Reya Dawnbringer
- Angelic Arbiter
- Avatar of Woe
- Gaea's Revenge
- Giant Adephage
- Hornet Queen
- Moldgraf Monstrosity
- Pelakka Wurm
- Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
If you want to go the reanimator angle here are some budget friendly reanimator spells:
3 weeks ago
So, I ran some tests ... nothing rigorous by any means, basically just a bunch of abbreviated matches (with sideboarding) vs. a few decks from wyquem's Modern Gauntlet. In no particular order (and with all the caveats that come with limited testing), here are some thoughts:
- It felt like the deck wanted to go just a little faster than the mana-base allowed. In particular, there were a few times I wished the Isolated Chapels were Concealed Courtyard (or maybe even Caves of Koilos) instead. I know both of those are already on your 'Cards Already Considered' list, so maybe I'm just missing something ...
- Hada Freeblade was just soooo good. I really wanted to see it every draw, so I'd probably try to fit it in as a 4-of.
- I found Brave the Elements to be EXTREMELY high-variance. It was hilariously amazing in some matchups, but actively bad vs. boardwipes and Colorless Creatures (e.g., those in Hardened Affinity and Gx Tron ... plus Affinity and Eldrazi Tron, though I haven't seen them around much lately). I'm not sure what I'd swap around (and of course something like that is VERY meta-dependent), but it felt MUCH more like a sideboard card than a maindeck card to me. Kabira Evangel had similar challenges, though to a lesser extent.
Speaking of sideboard, I found myself REALLY wishing I had some more hate cards. Here are some thoughts ...
- Graveyard hate: In a current "generic" meta, I would want 4-5x for sure. Rest in Peace is amazing, and Surgical Extraction is a close second. Leyline of the Void is the fastest option, and 4x might be a necessary evil if your meta is overrun with Dredge, Hollow One, and the latest Arclight Phoenix hotness. Incidentally, RIP is amazing vs. Hardened Affinity, since it turns off Modular (from Arcbound Worker and Arcbound Ravager and Thopters from Hangarback Walker). Grafdigger's Cage is nice too in any meta with a bunch of Collected Company or Titan Shift decks.
- Boardwipes: 1-3x would have been nice (maybe zero, but only if we max out on graveyard hate ... and 3x are probably mandatory if Spirits is a thing in your meta, since they're very resistant to targeted removal. Settle the Wreckage is nice because it kind of doubles as graveyard hate, but Damnation/Wrath of God are fine too (and much harder for opponents to play around).
- Artifact hate: Stony Silence is amazing (watch out though if you end up running Captain's Claws, since it shuts down Equip). It doesn't stop everything though, so I like 2-3x Stony + 1-2x Disenchant or Fragmentize.
- Combo hate: The match-ups here were REALLY rough. 3-4x in some mix of Damping Sphere, Rule of Law/Eidolon of Rhetoric, Leyline of Sanctity, and Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize would have helped a TON.
- Tron hate: I struggled with Tron; 2x Damping Sphere (4x if I didn't also have Stony Silence) would have helped.
- Removal: I liked both Path and Push, but because they're dead vs. Combo and dead-ish vs. Control, I might back down a little from 4x of each in the 75. Maybe 3x of each and then 1-2x of a more generic removal (e.g., Oblivion Ring).
- General Utility: Auriok Champion, Aven Mindcensor, Blessed Alliance, Collective Brutality, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Phyrexian Arena, and Runed Halo may be worth a look. You'll know it if you want them :-)
I also ran a few games with 4x Aether Vial. I cut 1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and 3x Join the Ranks to make room, though I'm almost certain that was not the optimal place to find the slots. Nevertheless, it really felt like a huge upgrade.
- I never brought in Gideon, Ally of Zendikar from the side, so it kind of felt like 3x in the 75 was plenty. Taking one out for a Vial was probably not correct though.
- I had very mixed feelings on Join the Ranks, which is why I chose to put the Vials there. As you mention in your description, it can make a GREAT combat trick, and it definitely bailed me out of some otherwise very sticky situations. However, Vialing in another Ally often had the same benefit, plus it's much harder for an opponent to play around. It's also 4 mana, so it was at kind of an uncomfortable point on the curve. At 4 mana I generally wanted to slam Gideon, and that got me wondering if sacrificing the Instant speed for a 3-mana effect (i.e., Oath of Gideon) might actually be better.
- Vial is of course great vs. Control, but I never realized how good it was with Drana, Liberator of Malakir. Being able to Vial her in at the end of an opponent's turn (thus avoiding all their main-phase Removal) just felt GREAT. Vialing in Kabira Evangel won a couple games too.
- Since I swapped out 4x 4-drops for the Vials, I'm pretty sure I could have run 21 Lands. Not sure where the slots would best come from, but 21 vs. 22 Lands may deserve some special attention.
Anyways, hope that something in this Wall of Text was useful, and sorry for wasting your time with the pieces that weren't!
As always, draw well!
3 weeks ago
I've never played Zoo, so that may make a difference, but I've played a ton of Naya Ponza and Mono-W Control, and in both those decks, I'm a much bigger fan of Stony Silence. Stony is harder to remove and shuts off many Artifacts entirely, rather than just slowing opponents down. That said, it seems like Stony on its own is never enough, so I generally run a split of 2x Stony and 1x something else (e.g., Ancient Grudge, Abrade, Nature's Claim, Destructive Revelry, Disenchant, or Fragmentize).
Good luck (and good skill) with whatever you select!
1 month ago
Damage prevention, mass or specific (Fog vs Healing Salve), is like green or white lifegain, both colors have it, and both will have effects such as lifegain or damage prevention for a long time, extrapolating from the past cards that have been printed, those are the overlapping effects in-game, next to token generation (1/1s in particular, such as the Selesnya Solder Tokens or the Saprolings in current standard), and card draw dependent on creatures (M19's Mentor of the Meek and GRN's Beast Whisperer)
1 month ago
So as a fellow player of Renegade Freighter I'm happy to call this one of the coolest new takes on the idea for vehicles. The exalted really helps push damage through and you seem pretty capable of being a real threat even without vehicles. Mobile Garrison is also intersting as it help defend, but I feel as though it could be a dead card if you already have a Frieghter out and attacking, but whether you agree or not with that is fine.
However I'd say that you should think about Kami of False Hope or Holy Day instead of Fog in the sideboard as you seem to have more white than green mana sources. Additionally I would run either Natural State or Fragmentize over Caustic Caterpillar unless you want to keep the creature to help crew vehicles. Also I would consider a few other ideas:
Sideboard Change Reccomendations: 2 Holy Day or Kami of False Hope, 2 Fragmentize or Natural State, 2 Gods Willing or Benevolent Bodyguard or Apostle's Blessing, 3 Mana Leak or Dispell or Vapor Snag, 3 Spell Pierce, 3 Life Goes On,
Mana Leak is a good card, but if your using three colours you'll probably want to use as efficent spells as possible such as Dispell; and Vapor Snag is also a good way to stop irritating creatures and is a favorite of mine but Mana leak is still good so keep it if you like it. But mana efficency is also why I reccomend Apostle's Blessing as it can cast with any colour; and as a side note Benevolent Bodyguard can crew vehicles which is relevent, which is also applicable to my recomendation for Kami of False Hope.
I know this may seem like a lot of stuff to reccomend but I love your deck concept and I'd love to see it improve! Cheers and have fun out there!
1 month ago
This list has helped me improve my Esper Mill so thank you! I really like use of Ethereal Haze rather than Darkness or Holy Day! I may also end stealing the Fragmentize, although I may stick with my Disenchants for the instant speed. The only suggestion I have is one recently made to me which is maybe some Mission Briefing for the Archive Trap recasts. Really cool deck though!