Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
When Pia and Kiran Nalaar enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying.
, Sacrifice an artifact: Pia and Kiran Nalaar deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
|Have (4)||Mortiferus_Rosa , sonnet666 , , metalmagic|
|Want (4)||Debro , delturkoeit , Mussahumano , Ulberth|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Pia and Kiran Nalaar occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Pia and Kiran Nalaar Discussion
2 months ago
Nillstan lol ikr?
This deck has at least lost Veil of Summer
There aren't enough Nexus decks being played since then for me to get an updated version.
I remember you from days of yore.
I dropped out of the competitive Standard scene and have just mucked around with Planeswalker decks with my hubby and friends. It's a relaxed way of playing with lots of variety.
I just grabbed the Oko deck. I know it's not THE Oko, but I'm interested to see how Simic fares, nonetheless.
Pioneer has interested me. Going to play my first tournament next week with a deck that might do OK.
It is also mono-blue.
I haven't had to do much to make it Pioneer, as it was already Frontier legal. I did have to add three Walking Ballista , though. Ouch.
What have you been playing lately?
2 months ago
I hadn't thought of using those for swapping tokens for actual permanents; definitely a clever use after all.
I just personally don't like trading in the board state I've built deliberately for something that might be good, but ultimately random.
As for Kuldotha Forgemaster , it's not as difficult to activate as you might expect. With Pia and Kiran Nalaar , Myr Battlesphere , or Genesis Chamber you should have plenty of artifacts to sac to it; although in a pinch you can sacrifice any baubles or artifact lands instead.
One thing I haven't seen a lot of people doing is using Treasure tokens as a means of tutoring with Forgemaster, or to recur artifacts from the graveyard with Daretti, Scrap Savant , Goblin Welder , etc. I've only ever managed to pull it off once though, with Dockside Extortionist . I just wish there was more support for Treasure in mono-red. The cards that DO exist are pretty underwhelming when compared to Pitiless Plunderer or Revel in Riches .
Blade of Selves will change your life. There are soooooo many good creatures you can equip it to. My favorite is probably Myr Battlesphere since you can stack the triggers in such a way that you're able to tap all the Myr generated by the copies in order to pump the original Battlesphere (the copies enter the battlefield already attacking, and as such won't trigger effects that require you to DECLARE them as attackers).
3 months ago
This looks like a VERY solid start, tbh. I have just a few thoughts for your consideration ...
- This is really the only area where I'd change the deck for sure, because Cinder Glade and Rootbound Crag are actually quite bad for the deck. A key plan in Ponza is being able cast Ramp on T1, so we can cast a 3-drop (Moon or a Rain effect) on T2 ... and any land that enters tapped on T1 goes directly against that plan.
- As-is, your deck has a 52% chance of generating 2R for T2 and a 46% chance of 1RR (on the play, ignoring mulligans and opponent interaction).
- The "optimal" manabase is probably 7x Forest, 1x Mountain, 12x Fetchlands/Stomping Grounds, and 1x Kessig Wolf-Run, for a 60% chance of 2R and a 56% chance of 1RR on T2 (source: the top-performing Ponza deck ever). The extra Fetches are not just about mana-fixing ... they also give us extra Clues, "reset" the deck after we Cascade needed cards to the bottom of our Library, and allow us to manipulate our draws/Chandra exiles if we have Courser out.
- That said, I totally get it if budget doesn't allow you to run extra Fetches. Seriously though, just swapping the taplands for 2x Basic Forest and 2x Basic Mountain is much better: It would raise your percentages to 58% (1R) and 50% (1RR).
- Here's a write-up I did a while back, with a link to a Ponza mana simulator, if you want to play with the numbers yourself (e.g., you might be able to trim to 21 Lands without a huge impact).
Thoughts on some specific cards:
- I like Pillage over Molten Rain , since there are just sooooo many Artifact decks in the format now.
- I know the ramp is great from Mwonvuli Acid-Moss , but you might consider swapping them for 3-drop LD effects. Partly to give you more T2 options, but mostly because I'd personally rather Cascade into a 3-drop LD spell than Cascade past an Acid-Moss.
- Speaking of 3-drops, whenever I run Pia and Kiran Nalaar , I try to find room for 1x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . Some people hate her, but I really like her ... she can chump-block all day and her +1/+1 counters are great on both Birds and Thopters. Plus "resetting" a Kitchen Finks -with-Persist feels amazing.
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
4 months ago
If you're looking to boost your combo, Tezzeret the Seeker may be able to assist you in getting the cards you're looking for. If you want to make this a competitive deck mainly featuring thopters, Sai, Master Thopterist , Pia Nalaar and Pia and Kiran Nalaar all give you thopters (and things to do with those thopters). You may also consider Thopter Assembly and Thopter Spy Network . And of course Master of Etherium goes well in any artifact deck, particularly one that gets lots of artifacts out.
For lands, Temple of Epiphany gets you some scrying, which is nice whether you're searching for that combo or not.
on Redlock 3.0
6 months ago
Cut Welding Jar (not much mainboard artifact hate in modern rn).
7 months ago
I need more wincons and the "blink things to blink other things" wasn't really working
9 months ago
Firstly, thanks you for your feedback.
I believe you are right about the Welding Jar and removing the 3 or 4 CMC cards. I will probably put 3x Welding Jar replacing 2 Thopter Spy Network , Chief of the Foundry , and 4x Galvanic Blast replacing 3x Chief of the Foundry , 1x Thought Scour .
I'm not sure about Pia and Kiran Nalaar . On one side, it feels great for the 2 damages activated ability. On the other side, I believe this 3 mana cost is way too expensive and small red removal are indeed better. What do you guys think ?
9 months ago
Hey, you're welcome. Fauna was just reprinted in Ultimate Masters, she's now a $5 card :)
I think Wave is worth playing because it's a damn powerful card, but I would cut most instants and sorceries for more permanents to make Wave better. This does make Young Pyromancer worse therefore I would cut him. Cards like Dragon Fodder and Krenko's Command are fine, but they're one shot spells that only give you two tokens. You can replace these with other creatures or permanents that give you repeatable tokens even if those cards are more mana. Nest Invader and Mogg War Marshal are other examples of permanents that could replace Fodder and Command.
Cultivate and Ranger's Path are fine cards, but I think they can be cut for creatures who land ramp because then you get two things, a land and a creature to devour. For instance Farhaven Elf can replace Cultivate. Solemn Simulacrum at $5 might be too expensive price, but he's an example that could replace Ranger's Path or Explosive Vegetation . Skyshroud Claim is a much better card than both Path and Vegetation. Another example is Garruk, Primal Hunter could replace Rishkar's Expertise because Garruk's -3 can be a repeatable first part of Expertise. Garruk however might also be out of your price range.
Gilded Lotus , Gruul Signet , Mind Stone can be cut for one drop mana dorks. Altar of the Brood and Hardened Scales can be cut for more dorks. Scales only interacts with three cards in your deck: Thromok, Mycoloth and Avenger. These are however two of the best cards here, but Scales doesn't do anything else for any other creatures for that reason I would cut it.
High CMC creatures who make tokens when they ETB can also be good cards, but only if you have easy ways to recur them or blink/bounce them. Of course there are exceptions such as Avenger. Cards that can be repeatable sources of tokens even if they cost more mana to play are more desirable. Pia and Kiran Nalaar is kind of lackluster here because not playing artifact strategies and the card only gives you two tokens. As a one time four mana play it's not good. Temur Sabertooth is a way to bounce a creature and play it again, it's excellent with the many green creatures who have strong ETB abilities such as Fierce Empath , Reclamation Sage , Eternal Witness , Wood Elves , etc.
Duskwatch Recruiter Flip and Fauna Shaman should make creatures the priority because these cards only interact with creatures and the interaction is very good since they're engines to get creatures. Priest of Titania is one of the best mana dorks in Commander, if you have her add her especially if adding other mana Elves.
Another strategy to experiment with Thromok is making your lands creatures since then they can be devoured. Living Lands , Life and Limb , Nissa, Vital Force , Sylvan Awakening . When devouring your lands you also wants ways to reanimate them: World Shaper , Ramunap Excavator , Splendid Reclamation .
Shaper has synergy with devour since he has to die to reanimate your lands. Living Lands curves into Thromok giving you devour fodder. The nice thing about Living Lands is your Forests are still lands, they can tap for mana, but they're also creatures who can be devoured.
Land reanimation is good with landfall and landfall is a part of the strategy of repeatable token creation. If you're choosing to add one drop mana dorks then Forests become more important than Mountains thus a higher number of Forests than Mountains.