|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska (DDM)||Common|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Illusion
When Dream Stalker enters the battlefield, return a permanent you control to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||ironax , angesoir , damo_rox , XxCataclysmiCxX , ibraJG84|
|Want (3)||Dk1997 , Rathe , marsp44|
Dream Stalker Discussion
1 month ago
Hmm... Rescue is a serious suggestion. The reason why I am not automatically adding it is because I've tried to include unsummon spells that do more than just return the creature/permanent. Dream Stalker is a good example of this. Most of the time I would rather pay an extra mana at sorcery speed in order to get a 1/5 creature out of the unsummon spell. It is a good, versatile, suggestion though. After playing more with my group, I may find that the kicker cost of Into the Roil is usually too high and I may want to opt for Rescue as a cheaper alternative. Thank you!
2 months ago
You would want Brutalizer Exarch if you didn't already have Ancestral Statue in hand, but if you did have the Statue already then it may be preferable to grab Primordial Sage instead since it potentially lets you dig into Walking Ballista all in one turn. I like having the option of being able to grab either one depending on the situation. As much as I like the Brutalizer, it makes me a bit twitchy when I telegraph what my current line of play is and give the table a full round to see if they can find an answer.
3 months ago
Rite of Replication kicked targeting is a pretty nice vela finisher. I realize it isn't infinite, but 30 dmg to each opponent is real strong.
Infinite sacrifice can be way strong, and I would suggest looking into mikaeus the unhallowed combos.
4 months ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
4 months ago
Shrieking Drake and Dream Stalker Are great for animar. As long as you have blue mana you can keep it going good way to get his counters up or bounce a more powerful creature like a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth to cast it again for free or Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger for the VALUE. Yavimaya Hollow is good regenerate effect on a land and Bloom Tender makes blue red and green mana if animar is out 3 total for one mana dork which is insane. Id cut out some creatures like Consecrated Sphinx you draw enough with Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest some of the enchantments could possibly be cut too. Your creatures should all have effects they're spells with a body. You mana should just be to cast creatures mainly. Glamerdye is a cool trick to give him protection from another color.
5 months ago
I definitely understand that need to tinker. It's fun to see if you can make something more efficient or if you can find a new way to apply it.
If you are currently considering Ainok Survivalist and Dream Stalker as flexible slots, I suppose that it could be a decent time to test out Phantasmal Image if you haven't already. From my experience:
Cons: Like any clone spell, its viability and power vary with whatever is on the battlefield. The Image is also a poor clone to use if you are looking to clone something that you expect to want to interact with. It has negative synergy with Cloudstone Curio.
Pros: It's cheap to cast, can double as a card-draw creature if you already have one out, is even better as an extra copy of a tutor creature, and has on multiple occasions allowed me to keep the storm train going by copying Peregrine Drake. Another thing worth noting is that the ETB triggers of Shrieking Drake, Dream Stalker, and Ancestral Statue don't target so you can actually use them to return the Image to your hand if you need to.
I'll admit that I miss the days when Legendary permanents destroyed each other when there were two of the same Legendary on the battlefield. Back then the Image could count as a kill spell for commanders and the Metamorph could destroy Umezawa's Jitte. Oh well, those are days long past.
My rough (and situational) priority list for Image targets is:
1) Tutor creatures.
3) "Enchantress" creatures like Primordial Sage
4) Card-draw creatures.
5) An opponent's hate bear creature like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben if there are fast combo decks that I want to hamper more.
I'm not hard-set on that priority listing though. I'll generally go with whichever of those categories happen to be on the board at the time. I'm not against just cloning a mana dork if it means putting a counter on Animar and putting my ramp for the next turn that much further ahead.
5 months ago
I'd keep Phyrexian Metamorph in the deck. Although the Imperial Recruiter + Shrieking Drake + Phyrexian Metamorph combo is more for 1v1, there have been a lot of times where I've used it to pump out a quick eldrazi that was in my hand. Because the Metamorph will get to bounce the eldrazi back to your hand once, that's still drawing 8 cards or exiling 4 permanents. The metamorph has also been really helpful for netting more mana or cards for free while trying to storm off by copying a Mulldrifter or Peregrine Drake. I've used the card for so many different plays that I have a hard time picturing the deck without the versatility it offers.
Between Dream Stalker and Man-o'-War, I would be more inclined to cut the Stalker first. For this deck's purposes, its mostly just a slightly worse extra copy of Shrieking Drake. Man-O'-War has extra utility in that it can bounce a blocker, Recover Animar if someone stole it with Gilded Drake, and in my playtesting it is one more way to delay a Hermit Druid deck by a turn by bouncing the druid.
Regarding the card-draw creature options that you listed, It's hard for me to ignore that Whirlpool Warrior and Champion of Wits only let you filter cards. They don't net you any additional cards in hand, they don't even replace themselves as a card in hand. However, I like that the Warrior can mess with opponent's hands. The downside to it in comparison to the Champion is that the Warrior is useless if you already have one combo piece in hand and are trying to dig for another piece.
Slithermuse used to be an Animar staple years ago when the first competitive versions of the deck were floating around. I used to run it, but the fact that it isn't guaranteed to draw you cards and that its triggered ability is when it leaves play were hassles. The double blue mana to keep it on board was awkward, especially since you weren't getting immediate value out of it, and casting it for the Evoke cost meant that it wasn't going to stick around long enough for you to use bounce shenanigans to net a ton of value out of it. The card always seems to hover on that borderline of being playable, and I guess it would be worth it if your meta has a lot of control decks that like to keep their hands stocked with cards.
I was mulling over the pros and cons of Slithermuse vs Sandstone Oracle as replacements for Kozilek in low budget Animar builds last night but I didn't really put in enough thought about it to come to a conclusion.
Foul Emissary comes with the chance that it won't find a creature in the top four cards, but considering how many creatures are in the deck I think that the statistical chance of that happening is low enough that it is worth consideration anyway. If it doesn't hit anything that means that it probably filtered away a bunch of non-essential ramp and land cards, although there's a good chance that tutor spells will also get swept away by it's ability. I'll admit, I'd probably want to smack my head against the table if I was in a pinch and the Emissary filtered away a tutor that was on the top of my deck without netting me a creature.
So of the options you've listed, my priority choices for cards to take out would be:
1) Ainok Survivalist. 2) Dream Stalker. 3) Man-o'-war. 4) Phyrexian Metamorph.
And my priority list for card-draw creatures to put in would be:
1) Slithermuse (meta dependent). 2) Champion of Wits. 3) Whirlpool Warrior. 4) Foul Emissary.