This spell costs less to cast if you control a Wizard.
Counter target spell.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Wizard's Retort Discussion
1 month ago
Given your quantity of instant and sorcery spells, Overwhelming Denial could just be another copy of Counterspell for you. Arcane Denial and Wizard's Retort would also be valid options in the counter slot. Curiosity combos really well with Niv-Mizzet, Parun, if you run a card such as Thassa's Oracle, Laboratory Maniac, or Jace, Wielder of Mysteries this combo will just win you the game. I know it isn't a win via copy shenanigans on the stack, but it is consistent and powerful. Good luck, have fun!
5 months ago
Consider Wizard's Retort , you will most likely have a wizard on the field, and it’ll only cost a cheap 2 blue mana for a counter for any spell. Primal Amulet Flip decreases mana costs, same goes for God-Eternal Kefnet . Expedite is a really good value card. Lithoform Engine is also great. Only downside would be the mana you would have to invest into it.
6 months ago
Hey, well done on a budget for your first Commander deck. I'm having fun with Veyran with Kalamax, the Stormsire .
You have 111 cards which is too many. Cards to consider cutting to get to 100 cards:
- Temple of the False God : you don't have any land ramp, only relying on land drops to get five or more lands. This land will not be able to tap for mana until turn five or six at the earliest which is really bad.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand : it's too slow for the for payoff even with Veyran. It's seven mana and you then have to cast an instant or sorcery to put a counter on it.
- Siren of the Fanged Coast : five mana 4/4 flier is what this will be every time you cast it which is subpar.
- Brass's Bounty : not worth seven mana for treasures since you don't want to ramp into it. Need at least six lands in your control to make paying seven mana worth six treasures.
- Curator's Ward : you have better hexproof protection (Greaves/Boots) for Veyran.
- Selective Snare : narrow sorcery speed removal since only works on one creature type.
- Violent Impact
- Traitorous Blood
- Darksteel Ingot
- Jori En, Ruin Diver
Some budget cards to consider adding:
- Reiterate : combos with Mana Geyser to make infinite red mana as long as opponents have seven or more tapped lands. Buyback is nice when you want to be casting instants since it lets you after resolving it put it back into your hand to cast again. Mana enablers Storm-Kiln Artist and Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip are excellent with buyback.
Buyback is the reason that Reiterate can be a infinite combo with Geyser. After copying Geyser with Reiterate you resolve the copy of Geyser first and then resolve the original Reiterate which puts it back into your hand. While the original Geyser is still on the stack cast Reiterate again to copy the original Geyser and repeat. Can make infinite storm count for
, infinite cast of instant for
Ral, Storm Conduit
or infinite mana for
Jaya's Immolating Inferno
as win conditions.
- Solve the Equation : tutor for any instant or sorcery.
- Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
- Frantic Search : goes well with High Tide since it can untap lands. Being able to cast an instant to draw and then untap lands lets you potentially cast another instant that you may of drawn to get more out of Veyran and magecraft.
- Brainstorm : staple blue draw spell, instant draw three for one mana.
- Increasing Vengeance : copy your own instant or sorcery. Has flashback which lets you cast it again from your graveyard and if you do copy your own instant or sorcery twice.
- Preordain : Scry 2 before you draw is nice. One mana spell that's a good target to copy.
- Wizard's Retort : Veyran is a Wizard.
- Shivan Reef
- Ash Barrens
- Grixis Panorama
If interested I offer more advice including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.
6 months ago
Blaksteele Really nice protoype. Niv-Mizzet, Parun may be one of the most fun commanders in EDH. I really think you have a solid prototype here. Definitely play test it to see what direction you want to take this beast.
A few suggestions:
Niv-Mizzet, Parun loves when you draw cards and casts spells. I would recommend playing less creatures and more spells that net raw card draw. Cards like Oneirophage seem great, but aren't as valuable as triggering Niv-Mizzet's ability. The same is true with creatures like Tolarian Kraken or Nadir Kraken where you have to spend resources on top of drawing cards to trigger an additional effect.
Instead of running the extra creatures, I would trust more in Niv-Mizzet, Parun . Fill your deck with cheap spells that draw cards, and in turn trigger Niv-Mizzet, Parun 's ability to draw extra cards and do damage. Opt , Brainstorm , Wheel and Deal , Windfall , Ponder are all great examples that exploit Niv-Mizzy so well.
*Protection and Interaction*
Niv-Mizzet, Parun 's greatest weaknesses are his mana cost (3 red + 3 blue) and protecting him. This is truly a deck that will probably not win without its commander on the field, so you really need to protect him. You should include a package of instants that will allow you to interact with your opponents' attempts to remove him. Lazotep Plating is a cheap option. Basic control magic will also be very helpful (and each one triggers Niv-Mizzy). Counterspell , Delay , Narset's Reversal , Wizard's Retort etc are all good and affordable options. Consider removing Jaya, Venerated Firemage and Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded to make room for them. These planeswalker seem good, but will almost never net you as much value as other instant/sorceries will.
*Manabase and Mana-fixing*
As noted above, getting down Niv-Mizzet will be tough if you can't mana fix. If you are running 40 lands, make sure you have a way to fix your mana. You're going to need 3 Red and 3 Blue to cast Niv-Mizzet. In a basic land only build, to get Niv-Mizzy out on curve, you'll need to make sure you never miss a land drop and you drop down the right land each drop. Most games you'll lose, will probably be because you can't cast Niv-Mizzy. I'd add tools that make sure that happens. Arcane Signet is an easy add. Expedition Map as well.
As you build your mana base, focus on lands that don't come into play tap but can produce any color mana.
Really great starting place! You got it down to a solid win condition, you have a clear vision on how you're going to get there, and you have themes that support the plan. All you need know is focusing down on those themes a little more and finding more consistent paths to success. Well done for your second build. (Remember to include your manabase, even if its just filled with basic lands... because right now, it looks like you're playing 40 lands. With an average CMC of 3.5, that seems like a lot.)
7 months ago
hejtmane thank you, building decks is my favorite part of Magic. I tried to keep the power level down a bit, for example I have Wizard's Retort over Counterspell because Counterspell on Isochron Scepter I feel would suck all the fun out for the kids.
7 months ago
Memnarch is dope.
Forsaken Monument also goes inf w basalt monolith and is useful generally.
I like Tezzeret the Seeker to fetch your Sol Ring or Mana Crypt ... wait. Where's your sol ring!!!!
Also would run Arcane Denial , Swan Song , Delay , Disallow , Dissipate , or Wizard's Retort over cancel. Anything but cancel!
Also High Tide is nice but if you run this or Caged Sun i would cut the urzas land and command tower in favor of islands. is just soo good. No need to mess with urzas lands unless you have dedicated land tutors like Tolaria West .
Just some thoughts, cheers and have fun!!
9 months ago
So what's your plan for game 2? A control deck will have an easy time with this deck, especially Esper, Dimir, or Azorius. Sure, random counterspells will work, but your creatures are going to be useless while they're On Thin Ice. Or Murdered. Or simply countered by Wizard's Retort. Or really any 3 CMC counterspells. Strangely this Aggro deck's weakness is Control Decks... at least ones that have access to spells that clean up any stragglers.
10 months ago
Nice, really like the interactions between the cheap changelings and cost reduction from the party mechanic. Have you considered the cheaper "wizard" spells from Dominaria (Wizard's Retort/Wizard's Lightning)? Raiders' Spoils could also help refill your hand a bit in the mid game. Hope this helps.