|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Tempt with Glory
Tempting offer Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Each opponent may put a +1/+1 counter on each creature he or she controls. For each opponent who does, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Tempt with Glory Discussion
1 week ago
Thanks to everyone for your comments on my deck. I am so behind in responding though so let's see if I can catch up...
As for the suggestions, the two walls you suggested dankmim, have both been in the deck at some point, and Fog Bank still is, but I've come to realize that once people know that you're not any kind of threat, they pretty much leave you alone. Not that I should leave myself totally defenseless, that wouldn't be good, but I think that overdoing the pillow-fort aspect of the deck leaves me with fewer cards that actually do what the deck is intended to do.
DexRain, I bought a copy of Jace Beleren for the deck, but after giving it some thought, came to the conclusion that it is just too scary a card to be sitting on the battlefield ticking up with his ultimate staring people in the face, even if I never intend to use it. I'm giving out so much card draw that I always have to be conscience of how low everyone's libraries are getting, so if I'm worried about it, you know they are.
Those are all good suggestions, TheWallinator74 and I've considered all of them over time. With Ghirapur Orrery, the second ability, which kicks in when someone has no cards in hand, will just never happen since I'm giving out so much card draw, so the question has to be asked, is the first ability alone worth the 4 mana it cost to cast it?
Hunted Wumpus has the one time ETB effect which is okay but there again, is the one time effect worth the 4 mana? The main problem I have with the card though is that it is a 6/6, and big green stompy creatures can be seen as a threat.
Tempting Wurm has two problems. The first is that he is a 5/5 which can be threatening, but also if one person has a Reliquary Tower effect in play and the others don't, it would allow them to dump many more threats onto the battlefield than their opponents.
I thought about Weird Harvest too, but giving out card draw is one thing, allowing people to tutor up their combos is another, so I haven't included that one yet.
I didn't put Tempt with Glory in the deck earlier because I didn't think it did enough for the mana cost, but lately with all the hype surrounding the Atraxa, Praetors' Voice Commander deck, I'm even more reluctant to include it.
I do like Alliance of Arms and I have one. I'm not sure why it's not in here. Stay tuned, I may soon be including it.
Thanks again to everyone who has liked and commented on this deck. Even if I don't reply as quickly as I would like due to some comments requiring a rather lengthy response (like this one), I do read them in a timely manner and appreciate them all.
3 weeks ago
2 months ago
I like the aristocrat/Lifegain substrategy, and since some vampires get extra value from Humans dying, I think there may be room for some high value Humans, such as Cartel Aristocrat, Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Odric, Master Tactician, and Knight Exemplar (for protecting Edgar from removal before he hits the field). Since not enough vampires have lifelink, Angelic Skirmisher could also be used in some builds.
As for Athreos, I'm kind of on the fence. He has awesome value with aristocrats, but he isn't a vampire, he is unlikely to do much for the first few turns he is on the board (other than make you a target), and half of your creatures won't get anything off of his ability, because they are tokens. Only time will tell, but for now, I'm using his slot to complete the combo with Ashnod's Altar, Deathrender, and Heirloom Blade ([Heirloom Blade] is shown here: (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=433293)).
5 months ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.
6 months ago
If it helps, I see your weakest cards/easiest cuts lie in Lurking Predators, Tempt with Glory, Words of Wisdom, Plea for Power, and maybe Rite of the Raging Storm. Any others seem to fit well enough for a generic group hug that they are not easily replaced without leaning into a certain playstyle or else beget wanting a personal win condition.
7 months ago
if you want a player-kill combo with Stuffy Doll which you already run, you could run Guilty Conscience.
consider cutting Tempt with Glory and Worship.
you are missing some pillowfort basics like Ghostly Prison, Norn's Annex, or No Mercy. if you want some more control-type pieces, Citadel Siege can help you be political or buff your creatures. and given how many enchantments you are running, Sphere of Safety might be an option.
8 months ago
1 year ago
According to tapped out, Trade secrets is showing up as an illegal card for commander. But again, if you're only using this for casual games and not tournaments that makes no difference.
As far as the tax versus politics stuff goes, political cards to me are stuff like Mana-Charged Dragon or in your colors Hunted Phantasm or Tempt with Glory. Be like Bugs Bunny. As in, cast a card like Benevolent Offering to give the player not drawing into creatures tokens, but giving another player the health because they need it more. Or even use a Tempt with Reflections on a Swans of Bryn Argoll. You wouldn't need tax effects like the prison or propaganda then because people don't want to attack you anyway, lest you die and your benefits go away. I've survived a lot of multiplayer games till the end for exactly that reason. You want to get really deep into that style of play though? Then be willing to hit somebody else's lands with Rewind.