|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage. If damage is prevented this way, Deflecting Palm deals that much damage to that source's controller.
Deflecting Palm Discussion
6 days ago
Based on Deflecting Palm
The next time a source you don't control would cause you to lose life, instead, you gain that much life and its controller loses that much life. Counterpunch deals damage equal to life lost this way to target creature or planeswalker.
Three colors and 3 CMC to increase the power level, black would make it life lost, not damage.
Unfortunately, Defecting Palm works against infect, and mine wouldn't.
1 week ago
I'm not running more Gods Willing type effects as prefer the flicker/exile in my build. The advantage is 1/2 my ramp spells are creatures which have a ETB effect that ramps, works better with exile flicker for protection, with the downside that the herioc creatures have to reset counters if they targeted for removal. I'm on the fence with this one.
I like Blinding Flare ... Seems pretty good for derailing any fatty blockers.
3 weeks ago
Last night my buddy had 2 fliers attack 2 different players. Neither had a flying creature to block with so they both declared no blockers.
After no blockers were declared, my friend returns the creature attacking player 1 to hand as part of the ninjutsu cost for Yuriko. Then returns the creature attacking player 2 to hand via ninjutsu for Throat Slitter .
Player 2 does not want his creature destroyed by Throat Slitter's combat damage trigger, so before the damage step casts Deflecting Palm targeting Throat Slitter.
With Deflecting Palm on the stack, the attacking player flashes in Spellstutter Sprite and it resolves, but it's ETB has no legal target so it doesn't resolve. Then while holding priority, he goes to ninjutsu in Sakashima's Student , returning Throat Slitter to hand and copying SS which would now be able to counter Deflecting Palm since now X=2 (fairies in play).
We were not sure if this was legal, but we let him do it based off the wording on ninjutsu. It seemed wrong, but the only prerequisite was that the creature being bounced was an unblocked attacker which we believed Throat Slitter still was.
Question 1: Attacking player was able to do one ninjutsu after the other if there were no responses, correct?
Question 2: Was player 2 able to cast Palm after Throat Slitter ETB'd but before damage was dealt?
& the big one!
Was the attacking player allowed to ninjutsu in the student as described? And if so, would this wild interaction have worked as intended?
Thank you for your help!!
4 weeks ago
I suggest you use your remaining 8 slots for: Akroan Crusader , Fabled Hero , and/or Favored Hoplite . All of those pair well with Feather, the Redeemed , which I suggest you run 4x. Even though it's legendary, since it seems like it's at the crux of the deck, it's essential to do everything possible to play it.
Deflecting Palm is usually useful in a boros sideboard.
In terms of deck building, my best advice is to keep your deck hyper-focused on a wincon - make your deck find the wincon, protect it, and execute it and do that 2 out of 3 times within 5 turns. Keep spells to the absolute minimum CMC. There's not really great ramp in red or white, so odds are, spells over 4 or 5CMC won't see hardly any play. Your 1-2CMC spells are a deck's bread and butter. Be sure you have include enough to get them every game.
I try to include the following mechanics in all my decks in some form or another:
draw card - not just a cantrip - spells that draw at least 2 cards, either at once or 1 card repeatedly. These include straight-forward spells like Divination and Harmonize , as well as spells like Collected Company and Descendants' Path and even stuff like Immortal Servitude or Squadron Hawks. The point is really card advantage. I typically run 3x draw-card spells.
protection for my key spells - these are almost always instants and can include anything that makes stuff hexproof, indestructible, gain protection, or spells that counter or blink. IE - Faith's Shield , Heroic Intervention , Vines of Vastwood , Negate , etc/
I slapped together a deck for Feather, the Redeemed recently. (Feather's Cap) It's focused on the Heroic mechanic, and because of those spells, also tokens and +1/+1 counters. It's far from perfect, but the creature CMC curve is decent and you might find some spells worth considering there.
1 month ago
Both of you are correct.
Yes, the deck had to change in order to survive in the new meta of the creator, he explained this some pages ago.
I'm trying to use the older version but I'm facing two obstacles:
- The raising of the playgroup to a more competitive enviroment; and
- The hate of the players that already knows that I will steal the win out of theirs hands, a simple Windborn Muse became the priority target just to let my guard down and make me waste my answers.
With that beeing sad I'm thinking of reshape the list to a more "aggresive" stance, but I would like to remember that your decisions also made a big part of the aikido style, you can tax the table in order to slow the combos but letting the players develop their plans in order to fit in that Deflecting Palm in the right spot!
1 month ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg
2 months ago
I know what you're saying, but having to be able to hardcast all of the instants would really make it very difficult to get a mana base going and that also really narrows the range of instant cards that I can use. It would be nice to be able to cast them all without relying on the scepter, but it's a lot of extra work that the scepter already takes care of, IMHO. In this deck, the key feature of the scepter is not having to pay the specifically colored mana cost of the imprinted instant (as well as the repeatability of casting). Ideally, I want to imprint three or four instants that would work together to destroy creatures or permanents, counter spells, cause damage and gain life. Boros Charm is especially useful considering that I can choose to give permanents indestructible. Supporting spells like Opt and Anticipate would be nice because they are straight blue and help me draw into either a scepter or an artifact fetch card. There are four scepters and six cards to fetch the scepter, so the quicker I can draw into any of those 10 cards, the better. Heroes' Reunion is in there just as a way to keep me in the game when players start singling me out with damage, while it doesn't provide an offensive advantage, the ability to keep me in the game and the fact that it still removes counters from Thing in the Ice Flipseems worth it. Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one, but I believe that focusing on ways to draw into the scepter or the fetch should be the focus. I dropped Deflecting Palm in favor of Anticipate and moved the Chalice of Life Flip to the side board in favor of Voltaic Key . What do you think of Mirage Mirror ?
2 months ago
This is a tricky one, I would seriously consider splashing a third color for access to cards that fetch artifacts like Fabricate but the mana fixing becomes a serious issue. I would happily drop AEther Membrane to do this but a three color deck just sounds inherently unreliable in terms of mana.
I mainly wanted to try to build around Isochron Scepter and my thoughts other than straight burn would be Doom Blade , Geth's Verdict , Mana Leak , Angelsong , Assassin's Trophy , Bile Blight , Commencement of Festivities , Dampen Thought , Dash Hopes , Deflecting Palm , Essence Scatter , Feed the Clan , Growth Spiral , Heroes' Reunion , Increasing Vengeance , Nourish , Raise the Alarm , Redirect , Solidarity of Heroes , Turn to Frog , Twincast , Veil of Secrecy , Whitesun's Passage .
I don't know, it just seems like the scepter could be a really awesome addition to a lot of decks but you would want the scepter plus a fetch for it as well.
Deflecting Palm occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%