|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Sliver
Sliver creatures you control have indestructible. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy them.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||bradyofportdetroit , warcry02 , CoolBeansBrattah , xXThormentXx , geazykagar , FoamEagle , zachi , dplerner , Njc12345 , Justinaut , Mousemke , Yawkcorb , , MorningGlory45 , mziter501|
Sliver Hivelord Discussion
5 days ago
1 week ago
As a sliver enthusiast, sliver player, lover, planeswalker and sliver I cannot help but respond when a fellow sliver player is in need. It seems that your deck doesn't have a defined wincon and strategy. Well, allow me to give you a bit of advice regarding commander choice.
Sliver Overlord: The control based Sliver commander who is currently the most popular choice and regarded as "best" given his tutor ability. Personally, I'd like to argue that he is not the best...but I digress, with overlord you'd want to orient your deck toward controlling the tempo of the game while you populate the battlefield with threats and/or additional options to help further your strategy. Your deck as it is now is not configured to best support this choice. You have almost zero control , removal, and recursion in your deck. I'd almost call it midrange, but I just don't see the ability to go aggro when need be. It's just "Slivers Goodstuff"- as it is now, I don't think Overlord is the best option as a commander for this deck.
Sliver Hivelord/Sliver Legion: These options are viable, but are more geared toward an aggro playstyle. As your deck is currently configured neither of the previously mentioned commanders are considered ideal. You have far too many big beefy creatures that take time to enter the battlefield, and worse yet aren't cohesive toward a strategy outside of 1. play big thing, 2. jank in some way to make it a sliver. Additionally, you don't have enough ramp or rocks to help get them out earlier.
Sliver Queen: Objectively, in my opinion this is the most powerful sliver commander option however, she is best used in decks that are not Sliver tribal. As your deck is built, I think she is the best choice here. Your deck seems to be closer to a superfriends build. Sliver Queen will serve as a means to produce blockers for your planeswalkers as you get them on the field and use their loyalty abilities to wreak havoc. Alternatively, Queen can be used as a wincon as her combo pieces are easy to get out: Mana Echoes, or Heartstone/Training Grounds + Basal Sliver/Ashnod's Altar. In addition to her combo pieces I would add in some planeswalker support cards like the oath series. You could also include some stax elements to slow down the opponent as you will be primarily relying upon planeswalker abilities during your turn. Consider cards like Ensnaring Bridge, Winter Orb, or Static Orb.
So that's my assessment of what you should do. What're your thoughts? Also, thanks for the +1's on each of my deck pages. Moskstraumen is a work in progress, as I plan to change it up entirely- even the custom deck page. But that enough about my stuff, hit me back with your thoughts on where you want to take this deck.
1 week ago
Damn! I'm glad I won't play against this deck with my sliver deck we would be going for ages. I'd have out Sliver Hivelord, Platinum Angel, Crystalline Sliver and the rest of the gang and you would have your WinCon set up. both not able to lose. It would be funny but frustrating as hell. How am I kidding. Five colours vs 1 colour. You would win before I even set up my first combo. Really great deck. Definitely a big fan of the mono green deck.
2 weeks ago
Filipp_bor It has won all of the games I have played with it so far. My playgroup is fairly casual, so I can't speak for a more competitive meta, but I've found that it's fairly easy to ramp-up and tutor out creatures like Sliver Hivelord and Crystalline Sliver to quickly secure your own board state. Closest it came to losing so far was from a Phenax, God of Deception mill deck (due to being targeted due to Sliver Hate and important early slivers getting milled) but it turned into an instant win when I topdecked Twilight's Call. I'd say it's pretty powerful for a budget deck, but might not do as well in more competitive metas (not without putting more money into a better mana base at least).
2 weeks ago
Hey, good job in the Commander league.
Haste is an ability you really want with Silvers, you already have Heart Sliver which is good, but I suggest also adding Blur Sliver and Firewake Sliver. Crystalline Sliver has already been suggested, but I'm going to suggest it again since it can be a game winning two drop Sliver. You already have Winged Sliver, but I suggest also adding Galerider Sliver more flying evasion and it's a one drop Sliver.
Harmonic Sliver can be devastating to your opponents. This Sliver is so good that some nonSliver decks play it because it gives you value when it ETB. The ability it gives Silvers when they ETB is not a may ability if your opponents don't control any artifacts or enchantments and you do then you must destroy one of your own. To prevent this play Darksteel Ingot. It's a three drop Rainbow mana rock with indestructible, it can't be destroyed. Target it with Slivers who ETB to prevent having to destroy your own.
A couple of underrated Slivers who can draw a lot of cards to consider adding: Synapse Sliver and Dormant Sliver. Hibernation Sliver is also underrated as it can save any Sliver from removal, board wipes, exile, etc. It's ability has no mana cost and doesn't target, it can be used with any Sliver who has shroud, you can save Crystalline for the cost of 2 life.
Sliver Queen has already been suggested and if you want to win with an infinite combo with Slivers then it's the best Sliver to include. Horned Sliver has also been mentioned, it's great with Sliver Hivelord giving it trample.
Amoeboid Changeling and Unnatural Selection can make any creature an opponent controls into a Sliver letting Overlord permanently gain control of that creature adding it to your Sliver army. Mirror Entity can be a Sliver, it's a Changeling and it can pump an entire army of Slivers. All Slivers get this power and toughness boost while keeping all their abilities.
Cards to consider adding:
- Crystalline Sliver
- Galerider Sliver
- Harmonic Sliver
- Firewake Sliver
- Amoeboid Changeling
- Mirror Entity
- Unnatural Selection
- Blur Sliver
- Hibernation Sliver
- Synapse Sliver
- Dormant Sliver
- Horned Sliver
- Darksteel Ingot
- Kodama's Reach
Cards to consider cutting:
- Steelform Sliver
- Sliver Construct
- Reflex Sliver
- Plated Sliver
- Opaline Unicorn
- Mistform Sliver
- Groundshaker Sliver
- Diffusion Sliver
- Blazing Volley
- Stinging Shot
- Reduce / Rubble
- 6x Lands
Lands to consider adding to upgrade the manabase:
- Command Tower: best Rainbow land for a five color manabase in Commander, only $1.
- Exotic Orchard: budget Rainbow land.
- Unclaimed Territory: budget Rainbow land to cast Slivers.
- City of Brass: Raindow land, but $6.
- Path of Ancestry: ETB tapped Rainbow land, the scry if using it to cast a Sliver is very good.
- Grand Coliseum: ETB tapped Rainbow land.
- Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista, Prairie Stream, Sunken Hollow, Smoldering Marsh: Battle lands are good with Basic lands and Farseek since it can fetch one of them.
If choosing to play ETB tapped lands such as Blossoming Sands instead consider the Tri-lands: Jungle Shrine, Seaside Citadel, Savage Lands, Frontier Bivouac, Opulent Palace, etc? These lands ETB tapped, but can make one of three different colors instead of only two.
Good luck with your deck.
4 weeks ago
I'm assuming you're playing a casual format where just about every card is legal so I'll give you a broad list of options.
Incidentally, the first deck I made was a slivers tribal as well :)
- Ancient Ziggurat: Provides you any color of mana you need but on the condition that it's only spent for creatures.
- Sliver Hive: One of the two best lands for a sliver deck. You get any color you want without restrictions for a sliver deck. Late game, it provides functionality by allowing you to poop baby slivers out whenever needed.
- Cavern of Souls: The other best land and likely the best land in the game for tribal? Like the others, it provides you with every color AND makes your creatures uncounter-able. Extremely useful against blue deck matchups. Downside is that it's like 40$ a piece
- Unclaimed Territory: The cheaper brother of Cavern of Souls. Does everything it does for but doesn't give the "can't be countered clause." Worth considering since it's about 6% the cost of Cavern of Souls.
- Mutavault: Only provides colorless mana but can't turned into a creature at any time. Basically it can become a sliver whenever you need it, perhaps as a bait, blocker, or extra attacker.
- Gemhide Sliver / Manaweft Sliver: Excellent and perhaps critical if you're running several colors. Turns your slivers into mana dorks and allows you to speed up your game by providing more mana. Many sliver decks run 4x.
- Diffusion Sliver: If you're looking to modern-ize your deck then replace Crystalline Sliver with this. It's not that good comparatively but it's modern legal.
- Sinew Sliver, Predatory Sliver, Muscle Sliver: Your bread and butter of the deck. You're likely to run 8x of them if possible.
- Galerider Sliver: Literally a better version of Winged Sliver. It costs one mana less and does everything better. Replace Winged Sliver with this if you can.
- Venom Sliver: Gives all your slivers deathtouch, making them all deadly.
- Pulmonic Sliver: Gives all your slivers flying as well as the ability to "revive them" by putting them on top of your library upon death.
- Bonescythe Sliver: Gives all double strike. Easy way to secure your combat advantage and double your damage potential all in one go.
- Sentinel Sliver: Provdes vigilance to all your slivers. I love this card personally and run 2x.
- Sliver Queen, Sliver Hivelord, Sliver Legion, Sliver Overlord: Your sliver gods. All expensive but provide crazy utility. Queen makes more sliver. Hivelord gives your guys indestructibility. Legion provides stat buffs. Overlord allows you to search your library for any sliver you want.
- Collected Company: Luckily most slivers are 3 and below the CMC cost, usually making CoCo a 2-for-1 card. In essence, consider this an instant that reads "play this whenever you want to have 2 more slivers on the board." Can be used for surprise blockers / increasing your board presence. You may find that lowering the CMC to 3 and below maximize the value of this card.
- Aether Vial: Get 4x of this if you can. It's very costly but extremely useful. Allows you summon free creatures essentially at instant speed. This will be your turn 1 most of the time move if possible.
1 month ago
Thanks AnonymouSAvatar but I completely disagree with you. If I use Sliver Overlord I can get out the Hivelord as early as turn 6 if it does not get destroyed but mostly it did get destroyed. If I include the mana for searching in the same turn it even takes 3 more turns (all without ramp). Since my sliver deck got so much hate I decided to rebuild it with the Sliver Hivelord to get a good protection turn 5 (without ramp). The Overlord is a very good commander but you can't say best because it can be easily disrupted. I need more stability so I will try out the Hivelord.
1 month ago
Sliver Overlord is definitively the best sliver commander because it is every sliver at once. Just throw Sliver Hivelord into the mainboard and you can fetch him out first if you want. There is no reason to not run Sliver Overlord in place of the others unless you have a rule against it or something.