|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, put a gold counter on it.
Each creature with a gold counter on it has defender. (Those creatures can't attack.)
When Aurification leaves the battlefield, remove all gold counters from all creatures.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
3 days ago
Yeah, I know that feel, how TappedOut always requires a description. I always just put "..." for my description until I feel creative enough to write one.
Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you want a pillowfort control. Collective Restraint, while not as good in 2-color decks than in 3-color decks, is still another nice pillowfort enchantment. Peacekeeper is another decent option, and, in my opinion, is a better alternative for Blazing Archon. Dissipation Field may not work as well here, but Aurification can deal with those creatures that you can't bribe.
Supreme Verdict is another good sweeper with an added uncounterable perk.
Rhystic Study is definitely a staple for any EDH deck with blue.
I would write more, but I unfortunately have class in 2 minutes.
3 days ago
Archangel of Tithes is good in pillow fort. Not very budget though.Isperia, Supreme Judge and Aurification are good at making opponents not want to attack youSilent Arbiter slows combat way down while you build your fort.The Vows Vow of Flight/Vow of Duty are good for politics
1 month ago
Depending on which angle of control you want to take, I can offer different suggestions.
Some staples for Derevi you'll want to consider no matter what build you end up going for: Swords to Plowshares, Edric, Spymaster of Trest, Birds of Paradise, Tamiyo, Field Researcher, and Counterspell.
From your description, you could consider running a pillow-fort strategy. It's kind of like an extremely watered-down version of Stax that really just prevents opponents from attacking you, while they still have the resources to attack each other. It's definitely a politics-heavy strategy, making deals with opponents to convince them that other people are better targets until you start laying down wincons.
Your wincons are going to be big fatties that also lock down the board or take advantage of your protection: Stormtide Leviathan (can't recommend this one enough), Azor's Elocutors, Isperia, Supreme Judge, and Blazing Archon.
If you want more traditional control that utilizes tapping/untapping, the general good all-arounds are: Aven Mindcensor, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Hokori, Dust Drinker, Trygon Predator, Bant Charm, Supreme Verdict, and Winter Orb.
For blink abuse, I suggest Deadeye Navigator.
As a general structure for your EDH deck, try to follow the pattern of 10 mana accelerators, 10 card draw effects, 5 spot removal, 5 boardwipes, and 4 tutor effects.
There's a few filler cards that don't fall in any of those categories, and don't necessary synergise. I recommend removing: Djinn of Infinite Deceits, Hada Spy Patrol, Kazandu Tuskcaller, Phantom Nantuko, Winged Coatl, Wonder, Curse of Predation, Pyramid of the Pantheon, Thunderstaff, AEthermage's Touch, Biomass Mutation, and Sprouting Vines.
2 months ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
3 months ago
I would suggest that you add in more pillowfort enchantments, because, well, you're bound to get pummeled in the face sooner or later. Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, Koskun Falls, Propaganda, Sphere of Safety, Collective Restraint, Dissipation Field, No Mercy, Aurification, and Peacekeeper all work. One nice combo you can run is Energy Field + Rest in Peace (You can no longer take damage as long as those enchantments remain on the field).
If you're aiming for a more oppressive control deck, you also can throw in Fatespinner, Frozen AEther, Blind Obedience, Torpor Orb, Hushwing Gryff, Iona, Shield of Emeria (especially funny when you're playing against a monocolor deck), Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Meishin, the Mind Cage, Indulgent Tormentor, Painful Quandary, Angelic Arbiter... I could go on and on and on.
I'm not sure about the status of your playgroup, but I also would suggest sweepers like Cataclysm, Tragic Arrogance, Mutilate, Cyclonic Rift, basically any sweeper that says "Sacrifice", "Bounce" or "-X/-X" to account for cards like Avacyn, Angel of Hope.
3 months ago
Aetherflux Reservoir serves as another nice wincon. If you want to put in the money, you also can toss in Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond for a nice "piss-off-your-friends-wincon". Celestial Convergence and Test of Endurance work as well.
If I were building Oloro, I would definitely put in some more pillowfort cards, because, face it, you're bound to get attacked sooner or later. Aurification, No Mercy, Koskun Falls, Windborn Muse, Propaganda, and maybe Sphere of Safety are all really good here.
I also would suggest more sweepers like Cyclonic Rift, Cataclysm, Mutilate, Tragic Arrogance, etc. to account for cards like Avacyn, Angel of Hope. But what do I know, maybe no one in your playgroup runs her.
I am literally typing this right before class, so this, unfortunately, is all I can say for now. Hope my suggestions (or giant wall of text, whatever you want to call it) helped, and good luck with the deck.