Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
- Is Mirror Pool after Rebound upkeep possible?
- How do Mirrorpool and Mutavault interact?
- Will using Mirrorpool to copy Titania, Protector of Argoth allow me to put Mirrorpool back on the battlefield with Titania's triggered ability?
- Mirrorpool + Kozilek's Return
- The Great Aurora & Mirrorpool Interaction
Mirrorpool enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add .
, , Sacrifice Mirrorpool: Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. You may choose new targets for the copy.
, , Sacrifice Mirrorpool: Create a token that's a copy of target creature you control.
1 month ago
Initially you said you want to overwhelm with speed, then you say you want resiliency. One is usually at cost for the other. For me, I've valued resiliency the majority of the time. Given you are playing 3 player (or even 4 for that matter), you should focus on late game rather than trying to be incredibly explosive. Not to say you shouldn't do what green loves to do, ramp, but the way you ramp depends on your goals. I'm going to focus on a resilient deck mindset. That way, you don't get needlessly targeted and are out of the game, it also makes the games as you described.
Good/Bad Fetches - Fabled Passage/Misty Rainforest/Prismatic Vista/Terramorphic Expanse/Verdant Catacombs/Windswept Heath/other fetches that are older and came out more recently that I can't recall. Some are more expensive that others, for you, terramorphic and a few of the cheaper fetches (Listed here and the ones that recently came out, I don't keep up with new sets) should be a great asset to you. Fetches are incredibly important for Azusa. Don't sleep on it
Castle Garenbrig - Ramp
Field of the Dead - RIGHT at the budget mark, VERY powerful. The more nonbasics you get, the more powerful. Think fetchlands triggering this, Acnient Greenwarden doubling the triggers. Azusa + 3 fetches = 6 Zombies! Not needed, but SO powerful, definitely add when you have more nonbasics. This card goes NUTs with effects that brings lots of lands into play like boundless realm/reshape the earth, Scapeshift, etc....
Mirrorpool - Not at all needed, a pet card of mine. Getting another Terrastodon, eteranal witness or just any powerful nonlegendary spell really. I like to copy Greenwarden myself.
Reliquary Tower - When you add much more card draw (which you seriously need), then add this.
Sanctum of Ugin - The way my deck works is that I have various land tutors to search for this or Eye of Ugin. Then I cast a spell like All is dust/akroma's memorial to sac sanctum to find either Kozilek to refill my empty hand. Depends on how many 7+ colorless spells you end up running. I think you should run both Kozilek's for sure. Ulamogs are upgraded removal > Desert Twister. But you don't want too many per your comment, so this land remains to be seen in how effective it is. For your build, I'm inclined to say no, but given it's saved my ass more times than I could count, I wanted to bring it to your attention.
Strip Mine - With crucible of worlds = GG. Although from my understanding, you don't want to do that. Nevertheless, it's still useful for getting rid of opponents Cabal Coffers, Cradle, Nkythos or any other utility land that's giving you an issue. You could also utilize another Land Destruction land which is less oppressive should you wish, I could name a few.
High Market/Miren the Moaning Well - Sac lands prevent theft, exile and trigger death (Greenwarden, Kura, etc...).
Thespian's Stage - Meta dependent, not needed. If they run Urborg + Coffers, you can copy their coffers. I use it to copy my field of the dead (imagine 2x zombies per land + 3 fetches = 12 zombies if I'm doing match correctly, combine that with ancient greenwarden to swarm!). All depends on the lands you end up choosing and your opponents lands. Meta dependent as well. I know some people combine it with Dark Depths for Marit Lage token in more casual playgroups should you be inclined for that synergy. Crucible of worlds makes this repeatable. Just remember that the token itself is legendary.
Garruk, Primal Hunter/Soul's Majesty - Garruk is better for sure as it is a permanent to come into play with Genesis Wave (unsure why you aren't running it, $?) and is more versatile. Not sure of budget at the moment, but he also provides tokens which he can use his 2nd ability to draw from. Ult is largely irrelevant.
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth/Kozilek, the Great Distortion - The primary purpose of these cards is to refill your hand. While there are other cards prior mentioned to refill your hand, card draw is insanely necessary in Azusa. Given distortion is cheaper and better IMO, I would go with distortion. Just ensure you have enough utility lands in the deck (I'd add like 5-15, 10 probably, more depending on your preferences). I understand you want this to be a green deck and don't want to rely on them as a wincon, thats fine. I see you already run Avenger + Craterhoof.
Abundant Harvest, Broken Bond (eh, its okish), Desert Twister, Nature's Lore, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Reshape the Earth, Groundswell , Naturalize (Return to Nature is a strict upgrade, but I would run neither), Primal Bellow, Wrap in Vigor (Heroic Intervention upgrade), Primal Rage, Retreat to Kazandu, Caged Sun (with less basics, its less effective), Opal Palace, Jungle Basin, Darksteel Citadel, Undergrowth Champion , Ulvenwald Oddity , Seedborn Muse (you are not a passive deck), Scythe Leopard Kalonian Twingrove/Dungrove Elder (see caged sun), Brawn , Arboreal Grazer
Obviously it's your deck and depending on your meta, making your deck really good could make it less fun for your opponents. Or they could improve their synergy as well. Azusa is a very powerful commander, Like Tier 3 IMO which is pretty high, especially in a casual meta like yours.
If you have any questions regarding why I recommended a particular cut or suggestion, please let me know. I love to help fellow Azusa players :)
2 months ago
I was browsing through some Ghired decks similar to mine and found yours. My two cents on the questions in the description:
You might take out Doomed Artisan for Idol of Oblivion. The Sculptures created can't even attack while the Artisan is on the field, and the rate it creates is painfully slow. The Idol can draw you cards every turn of yours, and also serves as a second Grove of the Guardian if your tokens are wiped out.
Talking about the Grove, how is Myriad Landscape working for you? Can it regularly get the lands you need to cast Ghired the next turn? I'm asking you because I've tried to make it and Mirrorpool work in my deck, but the strain colorless taplands made on the deck was mind-taxing to me. I decided to only run Krosan Verge, Kessig Wolf Run and Grove of the Guardian as colorless utility lands, and it's working wonders.
If you desire, you can check my decklist: I've made a breakdown of some suggestions in the description. Particularly, the clone stuff red is getting is crazy bonkers in Ghired.
2 months ago
Planar Atlas: Sigh. For mono-color commanders, especially MV 4 ones, it would have been nice if this came in untapped.
Zask: obviously mills for random token Insects too
Auntie Blyte: How is there no black or rakdos hybrid pip for the identity? And How is she not just an imp? Guess they went for the "Devil on your shoulder" pun. (IDK if self-life loss in general would have been too much for the trigger.)
Agus Kos, Eternal Soldier: With Brother's War in mind I was thrown off by this not being a tribal card. And then I was thrown off again by it saying ability, not spell. Anway, probably some fun to be had here; how about Gideon, Battle-Forged? Or Mirrorpool?
Tragic Slip: Sigh. At least there's not a panty shot.
3 months ago
Howdy! I have some recommendations!
Umbral Mantle can give you an infinite/infinite if you equip it to a myr, or just give you a lot of untaps. Not that you can't do that already, but this gives you an extra +2/+2.
Oblivion Stone is an excellent board-wipe. Drop it turn four and slowly but surely just mark everything that's yours. And you could use it as a negotiation tool. "If you murder his commander, I'll keep that combo piece of yours safe."
Well of Knowledge reads weird, but it's basically saying "(2): Draw a card. Any player may play this ability but only during his or her draw step." It'll be good for everyone, but better for you.
Mirrorpool is just good utility.
Luminarch Ascension is going to give you as many white angels as your heart can handle.
Illusionist's Bracers is just going to double whatever fuckery you're up to.
3 months ago
Magma Opus big spell that also makes tokens.
Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance land tokens.
Mirrorpool clone token and spellslinger copying.
5 months ago
This deck is awesome! I really like this idea. Mirrorpool would be a good fit in here! Nice job!
9 months ago
Just encountered what I currently assume was a bug in MTGO.
The game gave me the option of having the token copy enter untapped.
Is this a bug? If not, why was I given that option?
1 year ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.