Creature — Human Wizard
When Reflector Mage enters the battlefield, return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand. That creature's owner can't cast spells with the same name as that creature until your next turn.
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Reflector Mage occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.15%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Latest Decks as Commander
Reflector Mage Discussion
1 week ago
Thanks for the post! I actually had Nadir Kraken in the deck during the first few test runs, and you're right that it works extremely well with Ephara. I'm not entirely sure why I took it out in the first place, but I suppose it was because I was worried that I might come to a point where I wouldn't have enough mana to keep up for both using thr kraken's effect and keeping up answers. Still, its synergy with Ephara is notable, so I think it's worth it for me to put it back in or at least keep it on standby in my collection.
As for not using counterspells, I can't really say for sure how well that'll really work out for me in the end; I haven't really been able to test the deck against real opponents lately.
In previous games, my way of controlling the game and boardstate was by using my creatures' EtB abilities. Cards like Reflector Mage and Venser, Shaper Savant can simply bounce any potentially problematic creatures an opponent might cast, resulting in a tempo loss and wasted investments for them. This strategy is made even more effective by cards like Panharmonicon and my other blink creatures/spells like Soulherder and Ephemerate. With my bouncers out, they essentially turn those cards into pseudo-removal while fulfilling Ephara's trigger.
At least, that's how it's meant to work in theory. Situations like a Vorinclex coming down or some guy casting a board wipe are the reasons I'm still considering running a few counters in here. I'm not really sure what to cut, though.
As for lands, I generally haven't had a lot of trouble with getting the appropriate colors or issues with taplands. Most of the lands I have that can come in tapped have easily fulfillable conditions to have them come in untapped while cards like Temple of Enlightenment or Myriad Landscape are useful for their manafixing and utility.
4 weeks ago
capriom85- We can definitely work something out. I have a spare Glacial Fortress , Reflector Mage , and I'll check to see if I have a full set of Elite Guardmage . If I don't have a set of the guardmage I can just add a 2nd Reflector Mage. Would that be ok with you?
4 weeks ago
GeminiSpartanX, o need the following. I would be happy with any combination of this stuff if you have it.
4 weeks ago
I pulled a Nyxbloom Ancient at the pre-release. I also have an Ox of Agonas . I could also trade a Brazen Borrower . I am looking for the following stuff. If you are interested please make me an offer.
1 month ago
2 months ago
I really like this combo of Biomancer's Familiar plus Eldrazi Displacer but I have a couple of suggestions that might make the deck run a little smoother. First of a big issue with this color combination is that it is actually a 4 color deck without fetches that might be a tad tricky. And Yavimaya Coast gives us 3 of them so they are an instant 4 of. And to be honest that is really the only good land in the format for us.
For the creatures. I feel like there are a lot of powerful ones in there but there isn't enough synergy to justify the familiar or displacer. Let's fix that! A card I love for this deck is Incubation Druid the reason why is that it works incredibly well with both Biomancer's Familiar and Eldrazi Displacer . Like insanely well. First its adapt cost gets reduced by familiar second it can produce colorless mana if you have colorless lands for displacer to keep displacing. And if we add a third card into the loop Bounding Krasis we can go infinite. The nice thing about krasis is it does an ok impression of Reflector Mage when we need it to.
Also I still think we aren't getting enough value out of Biomancer's Familiar yet so the last card that should round out our synergy there is Duskwatch Recruiter Flip. Insanely good on its own and allows us to dig through our entire deck if we go infinite.
At this point I would seriously consider going on a Collected Company plan over the Shalai, Voice of Plenty , Reality Smasher and Tamiyo, Collector of Tales because well we are trying to out value our opponent not run them over. The Matter Reshaper s are another good card on their own but not really doing too much for the synergy you are trying to go for.
For rounding out the rest of the deck I would consider some of the following cards Thraben Inspector , Charming Prince , Overwhelmed Apprentice , Renegade Rallier and last but not least Fblthp, the Lost .
Hope this was helpful!
2 months ago
- Momentary Blink seems like a good card.
- Deputy of Detention is also pretty sweet
- Reflector Mage is also pretty sweet
- Ok so i guess there are a lot of creatures I would run Coiling Oracle Wall of Omens Blade Splicer Knight of Autumn Soulherder Mystic Snake Restoration Angel Sublime Archangel and Mulldrifter
- Here is why you run Mulldrifter . Pay the Evoke cost, that trigger hits the stack, IN RESPONSE Ephemerate or a similar affect. When it re enters the battlefield it is treated as a new object and therefore you dont sac it. That means you spent 4 mana to DRAW 4 CARDS and get a 2/2 flyer.
- Also more flicker spells Cloudshift Eerie Interlude and a bonus spell Lead the Stampede
2 months ago
As a midrange player I generally loathe control and probably shouldn't makes things worse for myself, but I think I have a few ideas for improvements:
- Take out all 3x Reflector Mage . Control decks generally want as few creatures as possible, both because they don't need them, but also because opp's removal will be dead draws. Instead... Hurts me to say it... But just play more Teferi, Time Raveler and probably Teferi, Hero of Dominaria too.
- Supreme Verdict is your numero uno vs. creature strategies, so playing the full 4 (or 3 main, 1 side) is very rarely going to be a downside. It's a great card in this format.
- Going up a land and adding in some number of Field of the Dead seems like a great way to add inevitability and resilience. If you feel like your mana base isn't good enough for it, I'd try and Steal some pointers from the other top U/W Control decks, that are floating around. Most of them play Field.
- Dig Through Time and Search for Azcanta Flip seems like a bit of a non-bo, but I guess you can usually wait with Dig until you flip Azcanta. Anyways, Dig or another Fae of Wishes seems better than Chemister's Insight .
Good luck :)