|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Essence Extraction deals 3 damage to target creature and you gain 3 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Essence Extraction Discussion
2 months ago
Exsanguinate v2 Original Deck (61 Cards):
2 months ago
Nermnt and FlabbyGabby I had considered going a splash of white, But I wasn't sure if I should just make the second deck Splashy from the beginning and play them both. For this deck, I based it all on Epicure of Blood magnifying the rest of the draining. with that in mind, I actually came across Exquisite Blood, which I have picked up two of for this deck. It is remarkably good in this deck as just a default addition, But If Epicure of Blood + Exquisite Blood work as I think they do, then practically my entire deck becomes a trigger for an infinite loop that would drain all the life from all opponents. Any direct combat damage, life Link Child of Night or Rush of Vitality Would set it off. Triggered abilities From; Vampire Sovereign, Vampire Neonate, Night Market Lookout, Blight Keeper, Bloodhunter Bat, Skymarch Bloodletter, Tattered Mummy, Vicious Conquistador, and Liliana, the Necromancer too. Lastly, any of my draining spells like Sovereign's Bite, Essence Extraction, and Lich's Caress ALL start an infinite drain.
3 months ago
6 months ago
" theres no set in stone way, everybody does it differently." - That is really deceiving and unhelpful - it does nothing to indicate what a player should do (this is the main purpose of this guide); nor does it do justice to your guide in any way - you are literally telling people that this guide may not be useful to them, as "everybody does it differently".
Do you really think someone brand new to the game has an idea what aggro, combo, control, anthem; know what a good mana base, mana curve, archetype and function are...?
By all means, if you can't take criticism on your work, write a better guide. I only write the way I would tell it to you in real life, and its never been a problem before.
P.S. It is all too easy to dismiss criticism, but when it something constructive, do listen - this applies not solely to guide writing.
6 months ago
While these are decent tips for a beginner, I think you are incongruent at points and misleading at others, none of which are helpful to a beginner in MTG. For example:
"Right now, this includes Ahmonket, Ixalan, ect." - if you can't be bothered to list the 4 sets currently legal in Standard, this is a disservice to a new player. On top of that you mispell "etc"?
"Its decent, its respectful. There's good stuff, but no downright broken stuff. And the thing about standard is that any standard deck can be decent if you figure out how to play it." - This is true for any deck and you are not saying much here.
"This is a relatively fast Vampires deck that I'm quite fond of. If you aren't comfortable building your own from scratch, feel free to use it as a baseline. It handles most threats fairly well and will serve as a good winning deck, but not a learning one." - as a new player, I would be lost at this point - why would I use a winning deck instead of a learning one? Are winning and learning mutually exclusive (later, you say they are, which downright weird)? As an older player, I would go "no playsets of anything? besides Essence Extraction, really now?
Another example of misleading and general unhelpfulness - "It's going to take practice to know what does and what don't work. There's no set-in-stone way to determine what you did wrong. It just comes down to knowing your deck well enough to notice what kills it ever so easily."
So, you refute your own earlier points mentioning to test the deck at various places, ask more experienced people, etc. to say this? You literally mention several ways to determine what you did wrong, only to refute it two paragraphs later.
I may sound mean, you may say you do not care, but at the end, this is just poor quality guide that I would not show to anyone starting the game.
TLDR: Proofread this. Read something Wizards puts in their products to teach new players, then proofread this again.
6 months ago
Hey man, thanks for the follow. I really appreciate it and I'm glad you think a bit highly of me XD.
Anyways, a few more things. It's looking much better. More focused. A bit more focusing down to a single thing would do you well.
Run 24 lands, untapped dual lands if you got a bit of cash to burn, namely Concealed Courtyard. This will fix a huge amount of manascrewing issues you'll have. You'd be surprised how much 4 extra lands will do for you.
You're also running a high curve of creatures compared to everything else. Depending on what you're trying to do, this can be good or bad.
If you're trying to swarm the board, it's bad. In that event, you'll wanna drop a ton of creatures for token makers and anthem effects.
If you're trying to run synergistic vampires, it's okay. The problem with that is that your deck is subject to all sorts of torture in the meta rn. You're running no anthem, no removal, and no disruption. In its current state, it's a vampire deck only in name. Consider the following:
And mainboarding Ixalan's Binding
Try to run more 3 or 4 ofs. 2's make me cringe because I got decent at deckbuilding so now consistency means a ton to me.
Don't forget, you're allowed a 15 card sideboard. Use it. You can toss so much useful junk there to close out game 2 or 3 better. Personally, I'd put the Disruption and some of the Removal there, along with whatever suits your area of play better to close out game 2, or maybe pull you out of a hole.
And that's pretty much it. After evening out, I'd be willing to play it with mine for testing. So by all means, change as necessary and have a good day.
7 months ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.