|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Brood of Cockroaches
Creature — Insect
When Brood of Cockroaches is put into your graveyard from play, at end of turn, you lose 1 life and return Brood of Cockroaches to your hand.
Brood of Cockroaches Discussion
2 weeks ago
Took out Pious Evangel Flip, Brood of Cockroaches , Dutiful Attendant , Champion of Stray Souls , Woebearer , Corpse Blockade , Epicure of Blood and two basic lands for Well of Lost Dreams , Beacon of Unrest , Revival / Revenge , Brought Back , Swiftfoot Boots , Arcane Lighthouse , Fabled Passage , and Mimic Vat .
3 months ago
I've been away for a bit, but I'd like to address the general comments since I've been gone, so here goes.
alika Nether Traitor is definitely good but I prefer Reassembling Skeleton . I haven't needed the redundancy because of all my tutors, and (thankfully) my playgroup doesn't play much grave hate. If you're having trouble with sticking skeleton or accessing him, I'd definitely play traitor as well. As for Bloodghast or Brood of Cockroaches , they wouldn't be bad in a deck like this, I prefer 3 immediate creatures over one per turn, especially when 3 creatures is often all I need to draw into more. I'll add both to the maybeboard though, good suggestions, thanks for liking the deck, and sorry for the late reply!
4 months ago
I play all three cards you wanted to swap out in my own Teysa Deck (Teysa Karlov's Citadel).
Reassembling Skeleton is simply awesome because you can do this in instant speed and it has really nice combos you can pull off to get infinite death triggers and sometimes also infinite mana. The same goes for Nether Traitor , awesome card and I'd include it.
If you are not on a budget then Bloodghast might be an improvement over Doomed Traveler or Hunted Witness . Sometimes can screw you if you don't have enough fixing, but depending you'll be playing this card early, I think it should be fine. Only downside is that you don't get immediate value. Both Travler and Witness give you 2 creatures for , which is nice.
For Brood of Cockroaches I'm a bit sceptical, because you get it back in to your hand EOT. So no combos are possible like the ones for Skeleton and Traitor. I'd rather run a Doomed Traveler or Hunted Witness instead for immediate value.
4 months ago
Wouldn't Bloodghast , Brood of Cockroaches and Nether Traitor be better options to Doomed Traveler , Reassembling Skeleton , or Hunted Witness ? They may not create extra tokens, but they can repeatedly trigger non-token-death-triggers.
2 years ago
Got some ideas for you...Rise of the Dark Realms, Brood of Cockroaches, Endless Cockroaches, Zulaport Cutthroat, Blood Artist, Ogre Slumlord, Din of the Fireherd, Ashenmoor Liege, Boris Devilboon, Swift Warkite, Anathemancer, Shambling Remains, Bitterblossom, Call the Bloodline, Curse of Shallow Graves, Mardu Strike Leader, Ophiomancer, Heartstone, Bloodline Keeper Flip. Happy gathering!
2 years ago
Always happy to help RazortoothMtg! I definitely understand having to stick to budget needs. I think some other token generators you could look at are Ogre Slumlord, Abhorrent Overlord, Sifter of Skulls, and the new Sly Requisitioner. Two cards that could be helpful in a wrath-heavy deck are Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Cauldron of Souls. I know the former is a bit pricey but he may be a good investment down the road.
I'm not sure how you feel about infinite combos but you can make infinite tokens with Grave Titan + Nim Deathmantle + Ashnod's Altar. You can add other components to this combo to create infinite damage, draw, etc.
One good card I would always have in mono-black is Gray Merchant of Asphodel. He can be a huge life swing and possibly even a game ender.
Magus of the Abyss could also be quite helpful in this deck. I definitely second that (budget pending), you should add Sheoldred, the Whispering One because she's meant for decks like this. You could look at less efficient but still effective means of pseudo-reanimating in the form of Brood of Cockroaches, Endless Cockroaches, and Oversold Cemetery. Since you aren't going to be re-using too many cards in your graveyard, things like Magus of the Will or Empty the Pits could be useful for big plays.
2 years ago
Addressing specific things now... I'm focusing on things to think about cutting to make room for lands.
Listing some observations, if I overlooked something this will make it obvious.
- Tutors (besides land tutors): Diabolic Tutor
- Mana Rocks: Gold Myr, Leaden Myr, Alloy Myr, Plague Myr*, Manalith, Sol Ring, Pristine Talisman
- Infect/Poison: Plague Myr, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, Priests of Norn, Decimator Web
- Boardwipes: End Hostilities, In Garruk's Wake
*Missed this guy when I made my first post, drat. That's why I did this summation, in case I missed something else.
You have some things that look like they are intended to work together, with limited support to find the pieces (I only saw one tutor). You need to think about if you're serious about keeping all of these. I think they are okay on their own, just not incredible.
- + + : This is a fun set and I'd keep it if it's something you like, but you don't have enough tutors to make it likely you'll ever assemble it. If you're fine with that, great. The individual pieces are not incredible apart but not the worst.
- + : This is a really common combo in mono-black, but again you'll have to luck into it. If you're serious about using it to win you need more tutors. If you just like the cards I don't blame you for running them though.
- Infect stuff besides Skittles; Plague Myr, Priests of Norn, Decimator Web: These aren't likely to kill anyone with poison by themselves. Plague and Priests have little chance of connecting against a strong opponent (you don't have much evasion support since you're not aggro); Decimator will take forever and tons of mana to do it, Priests will probably hardly do anything interesting. There are much stronger alternatives. Skittles is pretty great on his own and can work excellent on offense or defense, so I'd keep him for now.
Now for some less good stuff, specific cards:
- Manalith is the most boring mana rock possible. There are tons of 3-drop mana rocks that are better than Manalith. You want either cheaper than 3 mana, or you want it do more than Manalith does at 3. Off the top of my head, cheapish examples: Commander's Sphere, Darksteel Ingot, Orzhov Cluestone, Orzhov Signet, Mind Stone
- Transgress the Mind and similar single target discard effects are hard to use in multiplayer (though this is one of the better ones if you really like them). It is difficult to know ahead of time which players have hands worth casting these on, and entirely possible you won't do much damage with them. Discard and mill effects also draw tons of aggro from less experienced players. Consider also discard runs in opposition to how your commander works (they can't play spells they're discarding after all) unless you're specifically going after creatures with the discard effects.
- Mind Sludge is similar, only targets one player. If they have a huuuge hand it can do a lot of damage maybe, but then they're probably a blue player late in the game, which means they have Counterspell or something. If they aren't a blue player, they've probably got graveyard shenanigans going on, so this won't hurt them. Syphon Mind is awesome though (mostly for the card draw and maybe priming other players' graveyards for Rise from the Grave etc).
- Reassembling Skeleton is great but he's not really doing his job here. He's a reusable guy to sacrifice! If you just want him as a defender, look up Brood of Cockroaches or Endless Cockroaches who are better at that.
- Unholy Hunger is terrible. You'd be better served by Murder. It's way too expensive for what it does. Actually I'd look for something that is either more thorough or more flexible, like Utter End or Sever the Bloodline.
- Elixir of Immortality never does its intended job in most decks. Unless you honestly think you're going to have a game last so long that you play through your entire deck, don't bother. If you have some group hug deck throwing your deck into your hand, you're going to play one of your combos and win, not fiddle with this. If you're worried about getting milled, chances are it'll end up in your graveyard, not your hand, anyway.
Things to look up!
- Exsanguinate is a popular Orzhov finisher that scales up to the game state. Even if you can't finish everyone off with it, its extremely efficient at funnelling everyone else's resources into you.
- Anything with extort works, I like Blind Obedience in particular. All of your later plays suck players dry slowly.
- Phyrexian Reclamation is cheap, uses your obscene life tank as a fuel, and makes it hard to get rid of your creatures.
That's all I can think of. I hope it is of some use. I don't expect you to cut all of it I just want you thinking. My Orzhov deck is Ayli, Eternal Cleric EDH but it needs some updating on tappedout, if you wanted to see where I got the experience.
3 years ago
oh, I get it. I ran a deck like this with Ghoulcaller Gisa, I ran every sac engine I could, and every creature that recurred itself, for example Bloodghast, Brood of Cockroaches, Endless Cockroaches. these are very good to constantly have a creature you want to sac.
No data for this card yet.