Creature — Human Cleric
When Arena Rector dies, you may exile it. If you do, search your library for a planeswalker card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Arena Rector Discussion
15 hours ago
Ill look at each one and look for a better version of that card. Alpha Authority could be swapped for one of the sowrds.
Prowler's Helm could be one of the swords
1 day ago
2 weeks ago
Two things, his CMC is a little high and he's missing the #1 walker card... Doubling Season.
I'd also like to offer a slew of cuts... It should also be noted that I play this same deck, which you can find here
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 5 | 9 COMMENTS | 344 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
I'd take a look at it for some more suggestions than I am going to state here on this post.
- Curator's ward: Its actually pretty good tech, but... unless you are playing against a deck that is damage or specifically targets walkers this card is a waste. For 3 CMC you could be playing Call the Gatewatch instead.
- Oath Of Gideon: Honestly I've played with this card and it just doesn't do it for me, one extra counter generally doesn't help me at all and so it ends up being a dead card.
- Saving Grace: Again good tech, however you don't play a lot of creatures so 70% of the time this is going to fail to enchant a creature and die.
- Djeru, With Eyes Open: The only good part about this card is the tutor part, which again you can get from Call the Gatewatch at 3 CMC
- Exquisite Archangel: I'd advise running Stunning Reversal in its place, it's instant speed, it's less, and it allows you to take your opponent by surprise. With the angel they know that's a thing and a kill spell or board wipe deals with it.
- Resolute Archangel: I get why this card is appealing but I think it's unnessecary and doesn't add value to your deck and overall strategy.
- All the Fogs: Fogs or spells like fog, all just delay the inevitable. If someone is going to attack you and that kill you or your walkers wouldn't you rather just deal with their boardstate? I would.
- Deploy The Gatewatch: You need a majority percent of your deck to be walkers for this card to be effective, and even if you did have a good percentage there's such a possibility to wiff is just too great. I'd rather just play Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Sensei's Divining Top to control the top of my deck instead.
- Profound Journey: Creeping Renaissance is cheaper, and can be flashed back to do again. I get that it brings it to the Battlefield but it's only two cards out of your graveyard vs. dozens.
- Settle The Score: I get it, but just run Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares, this card is just a "win more" card and it's too expensive to be effective.
- All of the banners: Replace them with Coalition Relic and Chromatic Lantern trust me this is a much better solution than the banners.
I'm going to offer some general suggestions. So... More board wipes as they don't effect you because you can continually pump out tokens every turn with your walkers. More staples, play with more big staples like Leyline of Anticipation, Cyclonic Rift and Rhystic Study. MOR WALKERS!!! You dont' even have a Tamiyo, Field Researcher the most broken of Walkers! More value, make sure your cards bring you as much value as possible; creatures like Arena Rector and Captain Sisay (walkers have been change to be legendary) and Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain all of those care about walkers.
Take a look at my deck and you can find a bunch of walkers, staples, boardwipes, and cards that are high value in a walker deck.
1 month ago
Well, I mean Bolas is one of the most power-hungry and powerful planeswalkers in the game, if that doesn't say cEDH I don't know what does, also RNG doesn't exist in Gemstone Caverns, IE no rolling dice or flipping coins, but if you just mean randomness, I could say the same thing for every card that you only want openning hand and is a bad draw later on, like Sol Ring, or the two leylines, or Mana Crypt.
The essence of Bolas is 'Everything to Win', so the cards like Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Tarnished Citadel, Ad Nauseam, Imperial Seal, Mana Confluence, Shivan Reef, Underground River, Ancient Tomb, and City of Brass are more flavorful than cards like Izzet Boilerworks, and also are just good cards.
Jank is generally the opposite of competitive, so why every turn 4 win is supposedly jank, and Laboratory Maniac is supposedly jank too is beyond me.
Also, discard is a mechanic of stax, a key mechanic of that too, if you have ever seen a cEDH mono-black stax deck not running discard, be my guest. It is too powerful an effect not to use if your goal is to stop your opponents from casting spells.
Also, have you seen Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker? He ends games fast, not slow. I turn one any land and Lotus Petal to Flash+Arena Rector him out and it is over, no buts about it, that one player who might have an answer? +3 and their only land is gone, next turn do the same, next turn ultimate him, rinse repeat on the other two players who are still in the game, protecting him from Chain of Vapors and Into the Roils with the Counterspells in my hand, until they are all out of lands, cards, and permanents, and eventually life too, GG.
Also, the original Nicol Bolas, yeah I run him in modern, who else am I gonna turn one out with two Simian Spirit Guides, a Faithless Looting and Goryo's Vengeance, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn? Nah, he blows up their permanents, what permanents are they going to have turn one? Not much, discarding their hand is much better, but obviously I run both.
Point is, I don't think the essence of Nicol Bolas is to be a slow, grindy controlling deck, it is a deck that wins every time, for now and forever, sure, I'd probably argue grixis twin should be the deck for Nicol Bolas, but he'd only be used for the commander, and wouldn't serve a purpose in the deck other than for colors.
You also asked me for advice, so take it or not, but I got the deck to be more competitive and down to 100 cards, like you wanted.
1 month ago
I disagree with the intent behind this thread. Mono-White does not need to be remedied--the drawbacks of a certain colour are as important to the colour pie as the benefits. Here's my thoughts of the cards:
Blanket Grace - I do not like this card. While there are some white permanents that grant Shroud (and one White instant granting you shroud), the ability you've described is outside of White's colour identity. It does not matter that you can justify with Lore-appropriate reasoning--the mechanics are what matters. White's instant-speed protection is "Indestructible until end of turn."
Cloak Caster - Again, not really what White is supposed to do. I would find it more acceptable if you limited it just to Enchantments or enchanted permanents, harking to Greater Auramancy.
Pact of Grace - This is fine as-is.
Angelic Intervention - I would remove the hexproof and just leave it as "Permanents you control gain indestructible until end of turn." As for Heroic Intervention - Hexproof is primarily found in Green as an enemy colour to Blue. Again, mechanics > flavour.
Generous Farmlands - I like this in theory. I would make it a Legendary Land and then remove the Plains subtype. As it stands, this can give you 6 mana on turn 3.
Meeting of Heroes - not overly fond of this card--it would be really problematic in many formats. Arena Rector at least requires some deal of work--either having an opponent kill it or you having drawn a sacrifice engine/removal spell. In Gideon Tribal or Superfriends, you'll almost always have a Planeswalker available, making this really easy to cast.
Road Building - I don't think White should have that much ramp, but limiting this to plains at least keeps it in-line with some older cards (Land Tax is a problematic card). I might limit it to basic plains.
Sunborn Hero - this card effectively reads "creatures you control get at least +6/+6." I might just give creatures first strike--that still should be plenty powerful.
Charity's Reward - I do not think this should be mono-White. Chaining one colour's trait with another's is typically found in multicoloured cards.
Forceful Peace Seeker - This would be a fun card for ; not so sure about mono-White.
Ivory Library - Not a fan. This bridges far too much into Blue (Artifacts) and Green (Creatures/Lands). I feel this should be limited to Enchantments.
Eidolon of Enlightenment v2 - White does not tend to discard a card as part of a cost. Further, tutors on a stick are extremely problematic.
Guard Recruitment - I might up the cost some and require you to tap two untapped creatures, but this doesn't seem too problematic.
Artifact Creature - the mana cost should be updated some to reflect providing a body, and Scroll Rack is a pretty powerful ability that I think would receive a higher cost if it were released today. seems reasonable.
Physiocrat - this should be costed higher to reflect it being on a body. Further, Land Tax is a problematic card to begin with.
2 months ago
This seems fun. Here are some thoughts that perhaps didn't hurt:
- Maybe try Privileged Position as another protection card. The fact that it gives all of your other permanents hexproof means that you can tick up your planeswalkers in (relative) peace.
- With Battlebond, there's now Arena Rector that gives you bonus planeswalker tutoring when it dies (which shouldn't be too hard to do).
- Land-wise, I would very highly recommend some more multiple mana lands. In EDH, Ancient Tomb and Temple of the False God are quite common for acceleration, and you don't have a lot of color intensive mana requirements. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth can help a bit with fixing, and City of Brass is the classic make-all-colors land.
- Regrowth is also a good recovery card. Maybe also Commit, Day's Undoing, or, my favorite, Time Spiral are good to reset your hand if you run low on gas.
2 months ago
Second change :