Creature — Human Wizard
Morph (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up at any time for its morph cost.)
When Willbender is turned face up, change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Uncommon|
|Masters 25 (A25)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks Anthology (DD3)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning (DDN)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Chandra (DD2)||Uncommon|
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
2 months ago
3 months ago
8 months ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
11 months ago
Why not pick any of these:
Draining Whelk , Glen Elendra Archmage , Stratus Dancer or Willbender
Instead of Counterspell ?
The synergy of the list above will be higher with your commander than with counterspell.
11 months ago
@ClockworkSwordfish: I think I might also have some ideas for cuts as well:
Voidmage Apprentice : This deck already has enough Counterspell use, & is repeatable w/o needing to flip the table. There isn't that much danger from Split Second stuff anyway...
All down to you in case you accept these 3 as cut worthy.
Thanks for the help so far. :)
1 year ago
If you’re going full blown morphs, which it looks like you are, perhaps consider Mystic Forge . In the same way Ugin, the Ineffable sees your morphs as colourless so too does the forge. It allows you to say cast Willbender face down off the top of your library as in the rules it’s considered colourless for the purpose of morphing
1 year ago
So with Commander 2019 about a month away what kind of cards do people think should be picked up before the release?